Film Study - Offense vs Miami

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Football is a TEAM game. Each player has to do their best and execute. The more we are able to rotate linemen (both on the O and the D) the better I think the team can and will perform.

As noted, it's easy for the fan in the stands to think they know when someone messed up, but tend to overlook when a player does their "job". (kind of like being married... do little things that aren't noticed, then BAM one mistake - like not putting a toilet seat down - and you're in the dog house ;) )

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The main thing I wonder about using OL's situationally is tipped off your play call to the D. I also wonder about sacrificing cohesion among the unit. The guys have to know not only their job on any given play within the ever-changing dynamic of a play in progress, but that of each and every one of their OL teammates, too.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I liked that A back reverse too, Declin. I know we ran it at least once more. It seems like money against a fast defense.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
The OL played very well all around, in the trenches and also showing well sweeping out on the edges in front of our RB's.
IMO the miss-direction plays were well timed and kept Miam's D off balance.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I liked that A back reverse too, Declin. I know we ran it at least once more. It seems like money against a fast defense.
Yes. And a couple of times a game will slow down the defense pursuit, even if the play does not net much yardage. Its something else to think about and prepare for and will help the overall O effort.

new jacket404

Georgia Tech Fan
Whats wrong with rotation to keep the line fresh, using all your weapons .whats wrong with sharing the time played whats wrong with sharing the start ? Is it not fair to rotate game starts if you earn it. If one gets hurt is the other not suppose to step up and be ready how can one. Be ready if there is no real game practice that seems to b unfair .conditioning- i
would hope the would not hold their biggest guy to the same standards as say a 6'4" 250 player that sounds unfair and unreasonable. So with that said no shamire shiuld not b. Expected to play a 102 straight snaps .the kid is so humble as are most of the players i met if he gives his all in practice. All week sitting on the side line is unfair especially. If the team. Could use the help its got to hurt his moral .to not be given the chance to show if you are ready or not seems unfair as well .i dont pefer this one over that one .i have two kids im always telling to share. So y'all both can play and have fun. Dont use shamire negatives against him. Help him and use what he has to offer for gt's benefit fairly .he cant play the whole game is whays being said he gets tired quickly i heard this as well .show me practice time and game time are two different. Speeds the only one i could understand until showed otherwise is he dont know the play book and even then its his 2 nd year so i doubt that is even an issue any more.GT recruited the biggest in GA in 2013 for a reason whats the reason? No shamire isn't all football 24/7 so thst throws people off but he is A gamer so losing isnt a good sign of a good gamer.he not asking to be on your posters or billboards he just wants to play .who knew playing college ball would seem so political. I dont mean any harm with my opions and thoughts

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I thought everyone on the Oline played great. That group absolutely worked the canes front over. Was beautiful and I thank each and every one of em. They were bustin their butts...and consequently whipping canes asses...all night long. They really appeared well coached as well.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Whats wrong with rotation to keep the line fresh, using all your weapons .whats wrong with sharing the time played whats wrong with sharing the start ? Is it not fair to rotate game starts if you earn it. If one gets hurt is the other not suppose to step up and be ready how can one. Be ready if there is no real game practice that seems to b unfair .conditioning- i
would hope the would not hold their biggest guy to the same standards as say a 6'4" 250 player that sounds unfair and unreasonable. So with that said no shamire shiuld not b. Expected to play a 102 straight snaps .the kid is so humble as are most of the players i met if he gives his all in practice. All week sitting on the side line is unfair especially. If the team. Could use the help its got to hurt his moral .to not be given the chance to show if you are ready or not seems unfair as well .i dont pefer this one over that one .i have two kids im always telling to share. So y'all both can play and have fun. Dont use shamire negatives against him. Help him and use what he has to offer for gt's benefit fairly .he cant play the whole game is whays being said he gets tired quickly i heard this as well .show me practice time and game time are two different. Speeds the only one i could understand until showed otherwise is he dont know the play book and even then its his 2 nd year so i doubt that is even an issue any more.GT recruited the biggest in GA in 2013 for a reason whats the reason? No shamire isn't all football 24/7 so thst throws people off but he is A gamer so losing isnt a good sign of a good gamer.he not asking to be on your posters or billboards he just wants to play .who knew playing college ball would seem so political. I dont mean any harm with my opions and thoughts

Just what exactly are you inferring here?

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
thanks Boomer.
I just watched tape and I saw the best execution of our OFF in a long while for a whole game vs a good team.Your comment on how uM tried to wait for mistakes was right on.Didn't try much blitz and stopped JT on pitch.but--but they died a slow death because we were efficient.I thought having 6 Sr backs was ludicrous( think the DEF could use more DEF line help?) at first of yr but they don't now make stupid "youthful" errors and can BLOCK usually (and run).Who would have thought Perkins would become our best Aback blocker? Tell me that the Zenon first down catch might not be as important as any this yr.

I was REALLY impressed on OFF what that offweek gave us.New plays and formations and then the fake punt.And we EXECUTED.
I'm starting to think Shaq is the best Olineman of the PJ era.He is a LOAD.Yep, Braun is better blocking in space compared to "in the line".Devine will be factor some time but we need him to be a 4 star player since we have so few.
We saw in the Spring what Laskey could do.--What a HORSE with experience--ask uM.. There is a trick to know where to run even in that small space at start.

It all starts with the Oline and on our first OFF play with Laskey rolling 7 yds up the gut sent a MESSAGE.If the Oline keeps improving ,OFF will not be a concern this yr.

Animal02

Banned

Wow....so many things wrong here. Competition is not about "sharing" It is about putting your best out there to compete. A starter is a starter because they are the best. If you are not the best, you ride the pine. If you want to play.....you put forth the effort to be the best. As for keeping the line fresh.....at least from an offensive viewpoint, playing the line is the least strenuous of any position on the field. If an OL in not capable of playing all 60 minutes......he should not be out there. Hell, most of the time in H.S. (since we platooned....I was first string center, third string DT) I was just getting warmed up late in the third quarter, I would have been damn pissed if the coach insisted on me sharing time with someone else just to "be fair" Sharing time is for "mop up" when the game is no longer on the line. When it is on the line......the best player at any position should be in the game.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
...from an offensive viewpoint, playing the line is the least strenuous of any position on the field.

Didn't play college ball but not sure I can buy this. Too many reasons that I can think of that don't need to be broached because I don't want any position to possibly be deemed less important or difficult.

Animal02

Banned
Didn't play college ball but not sure I can buy this. Too many reasons that I can think of that don't need to be broached because I don't want any position to possibly be deemed less important or difficult.

Not talking about importance of position. Just talking about physical (and mental) exertion. On the offensive side you have WR's and RB 's that are constantly sprinting. On the defensive side, every player on every play is on the attack throughout the play. The OL on the other hand, is out of the play often after their initial assignments (they are not really going to chase a receiver down the field on a long pass play etc.) Even from a mental viewpoint.....the OL has their base assignments, can usually sense what is coming, knows the snap count, etc.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer

Yea, this has got to be wrong. I played a few positions in high school. WRs really don't exert as much in my experience. I never left a game tired at that position. Maybe college is different, but that's my take.

Animal02

Banned
Yea, this has got to be wrong. I played a few positions in high school. WRs really don't exert as much in my experience. I never left a game tired at that position. Maybe college is different, but that's my take.

WR are sprinting down the field half the time.......though they are usually shuffled in and out more......I would take going out 3-4 yards blocking over running what is essentially wind sprints play after play. ;)

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I don't think starts will ever really be rotated much. That will just be a coaches decision through each week of practice because it is used to drive competition and give an incentive for maximum effort.

However, I do think that Shamire has been getting more work in the games. I suspect he is being "brought along" the way coaches do with players at many other positions, even QBs where they may be put in the best position to help the team and to gain the know-how, and confidence to soon take on more responsibility. He is a redshirt Freshman . . . and we are 5 games into the season. I just don't think it is time to feel he is getting hosed for playing time just yet, it is a bit early for that.

I do appreciate your excitement on his behalf though, I think we are all excited about him.

I really love Shamire from what I have seen of him on and off the field. Good kid, great athlete, he will hopefully one day be playing professional football even. I am enjoying rooting for him and he is going to do many great things on the Flats!

Animal02

Banned
In our offense... its a little diff. Keep that in mind.
I agree, the OL hustles more in Tech's offense than pretty much any other.....but I would still say the OL does the least physical and mental exertion. The RB and the WR get a really work out....and it was obvious on Saturday that by the end of the game, the UM D was dragging more than our Oline. I would rather play 40 minutes of OL than anything on the D.

new jacket404

Georgia Tech Fan
Just what exactly are you inferring here?[I'm not inferring nothing. just seen the game late but i saw it look like playing time was evenly spread.devine got some pt and was able to contribute. I am overly happy we won and he didnt look that bad in what feels like his 1st college game .GO JACKETS 5-0 (BEAT DUKE) Did it sound like something else beside be fair