Film Study - Offense vs Miami

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Is that the one where the Bback is the pitch man?
Yup. AB goes in more of a conventional motion under the BB and becomes a lead blocker. The QB sprints out after the snap with the BB in pitch relation. There is no MESH, just double option. It was pretty effective too.

Tdippp

Ramblin' Wreck
When I watch the tape and focus on Devine, I see nothing but the potential to be one of the GT greats, like Fridge Mover or Jon Carmen. Yes, that good. Believe it or not, he seems to have a nasty streak to go with the size. A couple more years of proper nutrition and conditioning and this guy will be a freak by the time he leaves. You just don't see guys as big as him who can move like he does in short spaces very often.
If he's that good, why isn't he starting? Not trying to sound like an ***, but just curious

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If he's that good, why isn't he starting? Not trying to sound like an ***, but just curious
I used the word potential in my description. Obviously, conditioning has been a major factor in his development. Plus, the guy ahead of him has been here a while. Personally, I think we are going to see Shamire start taking over more of the snaps soon. I am not sure if he is ready to play more than half a game right now, though. If you are to be a starter, I think you need to be there for all four quarters if needed.

Coachbraun72

Georgia Tech Fan
This board puts me in a very difficult dilemma. I enjoy the posts and find the comments insightful, even when negative about certain players. The problem I have is that since it is clear I have a vested interest in certain players I can't really point out items that are overlooked that don't fit the narrative. OL miss blocks, OL make blocks, Some are faster, can pull and get outside, others strengths may be interior with driving and pushing. Shamire is a good player with a huge upside and a bright future, Trey is a good player with a huge upside and a bright future. They both have strengths and weaknesses in their game. I made a decision long ago that I was not going to question the decisions made by Johnson or Sewak as far as starting or playing time. I dont watch practice, and dont watch film, (and no the ESPN replay is not watching film) so I am not qualified to say who should start, or who shouldn't. I don't know if a player had a bad game until he tells me what he graded out at, and we don't discuss that very often, no point to, I taught him long ago to give 97.5% which he does. When you do that you get what you get. I will say this about Sat night, Laskey got a lot of hard yards, and all the OL who played contributed to them. I have watched the first series I noticed some things that seem to dispute what is asserted here, and some things that might support it, but who am I to say good or bad OL play. I will say this, when I asked what was going to happen I was told...

" I don't know, I played as hard as I could...if changes need to be made to help us keep winning then I will gladly be part of those changes...I just want to win."

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This board puts me in a very difficult dilemma. I enjoy the posts and find the comments insightful, even when negative about certain players. The problem I have is that since it is clear I have a vested interest in certain players I can't really point out items that are overlooked that don't fit the narrative. OL miss blocks, OL make blocks, Some are faster, can pull and get outside, others strengths may be interior with driving and pushing. Shamire is a good player with a huge upside and a bright future, Trey is a good player with a huge upside and a bright future. They both have strengths and weaknesses in their game. I made a decision long ago that I was not going to question the decisions made by Johnson or Sewak as far as starting or playing time. I dont watch practice, and dont watch film, (and no the ESPN replay is not watching film) so I am not qualified to say who should start, or who shouldn't. I don't know if a player had a bad game until he tells me what he graded out at, and we don't discuss that very often, no point to, I taught him long ago to give 97.5% which he does. When you do that you get what you get. I will say this about Sat night, Laskey got a lot of hard yards, and all the OL who played contributed to them. I have watched the first series I noticed some things that seem to dispute what is asserted here, and some things that might support it, but who am I to say good or bad OL play. I will say this, when I asked what was going to happen I was told...

" I don't know, I played as hard as I could...if changes need to be made to help us keep winning then I will gladly be part of those changes...I just want to win."
I, for one, would love to hear your opinion on the break down of certain plays. Longestday does an amazing slow-motion replay tutorial after each game. He admits he's no expert but still give great analysis, imo. But the great thing is that he puts it out there for everyone to see and add their two cents. I'd love to here yours, even if it's biased in some way. Thanks for reminding us that all the guys are giving their all and putting it all on the line each and every play. We forget that sometimes.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I will say this about Sat night, Laskey got a lot of hard yards, and all the OL who played contributed to them.

I really love this statement Coach. As long as armchair fan analysis is done humbly and respectfully to our players I don't mind it all that much. But I really like your sentiment as it connects to what I saw in the stands and really enjoyed about this game.

I was struck by the notion that Miami seems to recruit speed first at every single position and then hopes to eventually end up with a "team." They so clearly had faster guys and just straight-up excellent "athletes" all over the place and 2-3 deep as well for some positions. It was amazing to watch those guys flow across the field, but then I got to watch the Tech Oline get fantastic push at the point of attack. Loved how Miami had to rely on Perryman to make a zillion tackles but all 3-5 yards past the LOS. It had to be so defeating for that kid to be in on every play yet the Oline and then Laskey would just deflate them by dragging and pushing defenders and falling forward for just enough yards every time to keep getting first downs and running the clock.

I am a bit more results oriented than bothering with nitty gritty and individual analysis since it is a team game and I am struck by just how much of a "team" Tech is showing themselves to be this year.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I really love this statement Coach. As long as armchair fan analysis is done humbly and respectfully to our players I don't mind it all that much. But I really like your sentiment as it connects to what I saw in the stands and really enjoyed about this game.

I was struck by the notion that Miami seems to recruit speed first at every single position and then hopes to eventually end up with a "team." They so clearly had faster guys and just straight-up excellent "athletes" all over the place and 2-3 deep as well for some positions. It was amazing to watch those guys flow across the field, but then I got to watch the Tech Oline get fantastic push at the point of attack. Loved how Miami had to rely on Perryman to make a zillion tackles but all 3-5 yards past the LOS. It had to be so defeating for that kid to be in on every play yet the Oline and then Laskey would just deflate them by dragging and pushing defenders and falling forward for just enough yards every time to keep getting first downs and running the clock.

I am a bit more results oriented than bothering with nitty gritty and individual analysis since it is a team game and I am struck by just how much of a "team" Tech is showing themselves to be this year.
The thing I find funny as that a lot of people say the best way to defeat our O is to keep hitting the same guys (the main guys) every play till they get tired of all the contact and become less effective, to break their will, essentially. "Hit the qb every play...." "punish the Bback whether he has the ball or not..." stuff like that.

But this very same concept works to our advantage, too. We hit Perryman every play and from different angles and with different guys. Even the tv announcer pointed it out calling them "body blows" referencing boxing. Well, we dished out "body blows" all over the field last night, and I might add, we gave a lot more than we received.

Coachbraun72

Georgia Tech Fan
The problem is when I watch, I look at it through a HS lens, we cant cut LB's or out of the box so I am not sure when its coached or a misstep. I will say that Shamire and Shaq are very similar size, strength and push, which makes them formidable in one on one blocking. Now, I think Trey brings the ability to pull and get into space. Also, he can provide some push when needed. There is no argument ( I think,) that it would have been difficult for Shamire to handle both 2nd half drives, but that will change, and as it does, the ability to have Trey in, pulling in space running, then pound with Shamire, then Trey back in to pull is a great thing. And the two of them next year should be great.
I don't mind a belief that one guy maybe inherently better than another, it just bugs me when under the guise of 'impartial comments' one player is called out, then later when he's doing it it is ignored. This isn't ESPN, the agenda is to discuss what actually happened not push a message.
Heck, I thought Trey should be starting since his 1st Spring scrimmage when he took 102 snaps in a row (both teams) because guys were 'hurt'. I bit my tounge then and I still bite it,

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Yeah it is a strange way to talk as if every player on the football field doesn't understand that it is a physical and punishing game, and that it is that way for everyone. Laskey's acceleration and body control allows him to meet the defenders in a manner where he isn't getting broken down any more than anyone else. Post-game he said he was still fresh at the end and had no issue with the number of carries. I think his fearlessness really helps him handle contact because he frequently is the one initiating it, accelerating and meeting the defender first and in so in the manner and at the tilt and leverage more of his choosing; conducive to his gaining additional yards after contact as well as keeping himself and the ball safer.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The problem is when I watch, I look at it through a HS lens, we cant cut LB's or out of the box so I am not sure when its coached or a misstep. I will say that Shamire and Shaq are very similar size, strength and push, which makes them formidable in one on one blocking. Now, I think Trey brings the ability to pull and get into space. Also, he can provide some push when needed. There is no argument ( I think,) that it would have been difficult for Shamire to handle both 2nd half drives, but that will change, and as it does, the ability to have Trey in, pulling in space running, then pound with Shamire, then Trey back in to pull is a great thing. And the two of them next year should be great.
I don't mind a belief that one guy maybe inherently better than another, it just bugs me when under the guise of 'impartial comments' one player is called out, then later when he's doing it it is ignored. This isn't ESPN, the agenda is to discuss what actually happened not push a message.
Heck, I thought Trey should be starting since his 1st Spring scrimmage when he took 102 snaps in a row (both teams) because guys were 'hurt'. I bit my tounge then and I still bite it,
Thanks for that. I'm not sure who you are referring to, but I don't think anybody here has a "message" or an agenda to push. I think most guys just have opinions, but I don't think anybody is so tied to them they wouldn't welcome a dissenting opinion if presented with insight and respect, which you did. Fwiw, my un-expert opinion agrees that Shamire and Trey taken together is much more effective than either one taken alone.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
Heck, I thought Trey should be starting since his 1st Spring scrimmage when he took 102 snaps in a row (both teams) because guys were 'hurt'. I bit my tounge then and I still bite it,[/QUOTE

It's what Boomer does...he has his favorites and then likes to point out only the mistakes that those favorites are up against. I guess its just human nature.

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck

I absolutely love that attitude. I would rather have 11 guys on the field who play as hard as they can and just want to win than to have 11 5-star recruits who are just worried about their NFL potential. Thank you for posting, Coachbraun72. I hope that you would feel free to point out anything on here. I don't think anyone who is doing any analysis on here actually knows what the assignments are for a particular play, at least not that I am aware. Pancakes are easy to see, but if you pancake a guy whom you were supposed to pass by to get to the next level, then you probably haven't done your job correctly.