Film Study - Offense vs GSU

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
I recall Jemea Thomas tweeting a year or 2 ago that Justin Thomas was "the next great player at Georgia Tech" or something along those lines. This while Vad was here and had all the hype. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
I don't quite remember that from Jemea, but I remember seeing that from Golden a few times last season. I just follow @Eric 's retweets of players though. Jemea may have said that, I just don't follow any of them on social media.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Boomer, how many times to you watch each play to take in so much information on so many different players? You weren't kidding when you said an all day affair, are you?

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
I recall Jemea Thomas tweeting a year or 2 ago that Justin Thomas was "the next great player at Georgia Tech" or something along those lines. This while Vad was here and had all the hype. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes I saw that too. He tweeted Justin's freshman student ID with "The future of GT football".

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
This offense needs two things right now: confidence and avoiding the injury bug. I'm not sure they realize yet how good they can be. I like what the OL is becoming. The WR's are freakish. There's talent and depth at A back, and there are a couple of jackhammers at B Back. Thomas has the 'IT' factor at qb that all good times need. From the limited sample we've seen, he can run, pass, and manage the game. I suspect before he leaves we might well see a 200/200 game from him. We've seen this offense have a good half in each game, and each good half has been better than the previous good half. When that 30 minutes of good offense expands to 45, this team will be especially difficult to beat.

We need a big win badly this week. Put up some serious offensive numbers against VT, get out of there with the win, and this team doesn't look back.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I also think Thomas has a very high ceiling indeed; potentially higher then the guy I'm always comparing him to, Keenan Reynolds, the Mids QB. I hope he can avoid injury; that's the big deal now with QBs. I don't see that coming since it's hard to hit something you can't catch with any authority. But you never know on that.

I hope he continues to show as much improvement as he's shown in the first three games for the next 7. If that happens, Clempson and the Dwags will be in a heap of trouble.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
With regard to JT cutting in the wrong direction, I noticed that a couple times last week as well. IMHO he seems to have a bias toward cutting to the outside. Maybe it is a tendency he picked up in high school where he could outrun everyone by doing so, maybe he is trying to avoid the big guys inside. Regardless, no defensive coordinator will enjoy dealing with him.

I also agree that Lasky needs to get his pads down, especially within 10 yards pat the line of scrimmage. If he is already 5 yards downfield with a head of steam he should get a couple more yds after first contact. Great write up. Thanks!

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
seems like ZL gets several yards after contact almost every time he touches the ball. could be difficult to get the pads as low as he needs. I believe he's almost 6'3

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
Very nice write-up Boomer. Always love your posts.
I am quickly becoming a huge fan of JT. I don't watch the replays very often, but JT seems to be able to make plays even when the defense has the option covered. While I don't claim to be an expert, it seems like he often outruns his defender around the end as he gets into position much faster than the defense.

Speed kills and he has it. Not to 'dis' Tevin or Vad, but the offense clearly runs faster with JT under center. And he is only going to get better.
Should he stay healthy, he is going to make us forget all about Josh Nesbitt.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I remember persistent rumors from undisclosed "people in the program" who said Justin was the best quarterback on the team.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Boomer, how many times to you watch each play to take in so much information on so many different players? You weren't kidding when you said an all day affair, are you?
Good question. I watch a play enough times so that I see what every player who is in the screen did. If offensive 8 guys are in the picture I will probably see it 7 or 8 times. Sometimes it may be more if something strange happened or if I want to discern how defenders were reacting to motion etc.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We need to keep all of this in perspective. It is easy to become as enamored with Justin as I have. However, I also know we have just played two teams who are weaker on the defensive side of the ball than on offense. That is about to change. While I don't think it is realistic to expect the same kind of numbers in the coming weeks, I do think JT has a lot of attributes that are going to play well against all defenses, good and bad alike. Running the option fast ALWAYS helps. Being able to throw accurately on the run and keeping plays alive with his feet are two attributes that are like pouring gasoline on the run game. My intuition tells me that we will be very hard to stop. We might get slowed down some, by teams like VT, but I would be very surprised if we get thoroughly frustrated like the last couple of years.

VT has been pinning their ears back against us in recent years. I am not so sure that is a good strategy now for them. JT will make a big difference in how teams scheme to stop us. Still, JT has yet to face an aggressive and credible defense for an entire game. It is his next big test. It will be interesting to see how he handles it. He faced adversity in half 2 Saturday (after a half that went too smoothly if you know what I mean) and he still kept his head on his shoulders and led this team. He has passed every test so far. Here is hoping. I expect bumps in the road and some questionable decisions along the way, but this kid, despite being short on words for the public, is a quick study. Gotta love that poise.

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
Very nice write-up Boomer. Always love your posts.
I am quickly becoming a huge fan of JT. I don't watch the replays very often, but JT seems to be able to make plays even when the defense has the option covered. While I don't claim to be an expert, it seems like he often outruns his defender around the end as he gets into position much faster than the defense.

Speed kills and he has it. Not to 'dis' Tevin or Vad, but the offense clearly runs faster with JT under center. And he is only going to get better.
Should he stay healthy, he is going to make us forget all about Josh Nesbitt.
Can't forget JfN. Without him, CPJ might not be at Tech right now... I am hopeful that JT will become JfT and lead the team to a few titles, but I was hopeful in the same way with Vad. We shall see in a few years.

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
Can't forget JfN. Without him, CPJ might not be at Tech right now... I am hopeful that JT will become JfT and lead the team to a few titles, but I was hopeful in the same way with Vad. We shall see in a few years.
You may be right. Interestingly, I have always felt that Nesbitt was a better recruit for Johnson's offense than he was for Chan's. Either way, Nesbitt, Dwyer and Thomas gave Johnson enough 'capital' to get him through the lean years that followed.
It's interesting to go back and postulate on little twists of fate, but had Chan ever developed a decent QB and not insisted on riding Reggie for 4 years, Chan may have done ok.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
You may be right. Interestingly, I have always felt that Nesbitt was a better recruit for Johnson's offense than he was for Chan's. Either way, Nesbitt, Dwyer and Thomas gave Johnson enough 'capital' to get him through the lean years that followed.
It's interesting to go back and postulate on little twists of fate, but had Chan ever developed a decent QB and not insisted on riding Reggie for 4 years, Chan may have done ok.

I think you mean Derrick Morgan and Morgan Burnett "gave Johnson enough ..." Our lean years were not so much because of a lack of talent on O as on D, imo.

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
I think you mean Derrick Morgan and Morgan Burnett "gave Johnson enough ..." Our lean years were not so much because of a lack of talent on O as on D, imo.
To my point. In retrospect, Chan's problems were not in recruiting.
And God help the rest of the ACC if Johnson ever decides to develop a defense.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I don't wanna derail the thread with talk of the D, so will wait till Boomer posts his D Breakdowns.

Boomer Really enjoy reading your writeups. Do you (or anyone else who really studies the tape) use any subscription services to do that, or are you just watching a recorded copy of the broadcast?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We need to keep all of this in perspective. It is easy to become as enamored with Justin as I have. However, I also know we have just played two teams who are weaker on the defensive side of the ball than on offense. That is about to change. ......................

Thank you for saying that. We won't know what we have for another two games. We have looked very fast and I think we fast. But fast is relative to who you are playing and won't be shown till we see the AB & QBs versus VT and Miami.

If VT is successful in blowing up the OL again this year and getting penetration to stop lateral movement, JT's speed won't matter. But maybe his arm will give them problems with that very fast throwing motion / release. Do you think his fast release is going to or has given the D's some problems? Just a second less for the DBs to have to react.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't wanna derail the thread with talk of the D, so will wait till Boomer posts his D Breakdowns.

Boomer Really enjoy reading your writeups. Do you (or anyone else who really studies the tape) use any subscription services to do that, or are you just watching a recorded copy of the broadcast?
Broadcast - DVR. If I could see the whole field I would do it. Is that kind of thing available?