Film Study - Defense vs VT

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There aren't really a lot of surprises here. We pretty much know what we have, or not have, more accurately. I do not have a lot of respect for the G-C-G combo that VT is putting on the field. IMHO they are the weakest unit we have seen on the interior yet, and yes, that does include Wofford. Their OTs are pretty good. Not great, mind you, but pretty good. Considering all this, I would have hoped to dominate the interior more than we did. The problem is that they often used their OTs to double down on both Gotsis and Green leaving a single back to pick up our DEs. You heard me right. They had so much respect for our DEs that they isolated a running back on them and expected plenty of protection. Unfortunately, we were unable to take advantage. There were only a couple plays I can remember getting pressure without bringing extra. Green beat his man and got in Brewer's face on the pick 6 by Davis. The good news is we tried a lot of new faces, so it made this film study interesting for me.

Travis got his first significant playing action of the season. I like his energy. I like his gaining of leverage and use of hands. He plays aggressively, hopefully enough so to gain the attention of some of the guys he is competing against. The problem is that he just isn't enough of an athlete to really take advantage. I like him as much as anybody else we have thrown out there, but he wasn't really an upgrade, other than keeping other guys fresh.

Kallon got a lot of time as well. He and Gamble usually worked together on odd series when the ball was in the VT end of the field. As soon as the ball crossed mid-field, they were out and #96 and #97 were back in. I was happy for Kallon to get a chance. My response to his play is rather lukewarm. He must have been jacked, but I would only really rate his play as a 3 or 4 out of 10. IMHO he and Gamble are about the same. Both play too high and never really whip anybody. They just take up space and don't really affect the plays that much. Kallon looks plenty big and athletic enough to be a beast, but he just doesn't get IT. For all his physical gifts, his technique is bad and his instincts even worse. He appears to give effort though and that I appreciate. He still needs more work and I am not giving up on him.

I felt like the LBs played OK. Nealy is way better on the blitz than either of our DEs are exploiting the edge. Tackling could have been better, but it wasn't ugly necessarily. They really never blew us up in the run game and that was because of the G-C-G combo I was talking about. Our LBs didn't have a face full of OGs Saturday. They could move free most of the time.

Because of the lack of a pounding run game, VT was determined to beat us through the air, and why not. They could pretty much count on having a lot of time to throw. We were obviously OVER CAUTIOUS with some of the cushions we gave in this game. I understand why, given the last few games and the big plays given up. We can't really blame the DBs for not being able to cover. When you are told to give that kind of cushion there is NOTHING you can do if they decide to take the broken off route, and they did, over and over and over. I guess when the field shortened, we didn't have to worry about getting beat deep and we pressed some. We made some good plays / picks. We also missed several pass break ups inexplicably whiffing with our arms and hands. I have no idea what that was all about. Milton swung and missed at a deep completion and looked like a blind folded kid taking a pass at a Piñata. He has 5 blocked kicks for crying out loud, those have to be harder to do. White played well. He defended some passes and got the only pick that was earned through superior play. He sagged off his flat route and baited Brewer nicely. It was a pretty athletic twisting, well timed leap fwiw. He can play. He'll get his shot at the league after college.

In any case, the strategy worked, given some help with 2 dozen illegal substitution penalties, an illegal chop block, and a couple loose throws. Besides that fumble rooskie TD that happens once a decade, they really don't score much.

I don't think VT is a good offensive team at all. They have issues. They have some athletes in skill positions, other than QB, but you have to be able to block up front and make good decisions with the ball. They will be counting on defense this year. I am still worried about our guys. I applaud them for doing enough to win. I like all the 3rd and longs forced, but some of those conversions were like layups for the offense. There isn't a future in that. We can fix some things and there are some things we can't fix (this year). We are just going to have to execute a little better and hope to do just enough on offense.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Thanks Boomer. IMHO, the O and ST will carry the load for us till we 1) mature on D this year or 2) next year with reinforcements. I like all the experimenting we are doing and not RS players to wait for next year on D. We need the experience now for the best D players to make them better for next year.

Do you think we are getting better on D overall in the last two games, or was the VT offense really that much worse than Ga Southerns? (I think VT offense was worse with Brewer the gunslinger .... ready, fire, aim ......)

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Thanks Boomer. IMHO, the O and ST will carry the load for us till we 1) mature on D this year or 2) next year with reinforcements. I like all the experimenting we are doing and not RS players to wait for next year on D. We need the experience now for the best D players to make them better for next year.

Do you think we are getting better on D overall in the last two games, or was the VT offense really that much worse than Ga Southerns? (I think VT offense was worse with Brewer the gunslinger .... ready, fire, aim ......)
Well, they weren't running option in the run game. That helped. They just had a hard time moving us in the middle. Quay and PJ had free run a lot of the time. That is why they threw so much. If we are getting better it is in that we didn't give up big plays. However, allowing all those 3rd and longs is disheartening.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Every time they had 3rd and long, I would say, "They have us right where they want us." And sure enough, they would convert it. It's funny...I feel more comfortable with a 3rd and 2 than a 3rd and 11. I know it's part scheme and part talent, but it can be painful to watch.

Having said that, let's give credit where credit is due. They forced turnovers and made plays when it counted and kept VT out of the endzone for most of the game.

rodney

Georgia Tech Fan
Alabama buzz have you looked at the sec east I don't see one team that should be in the top 10 there I know that the acc coastal might not be the best but we're probably better than a lot of leagues in the power 5. I also think justin thomas reminds me a lot of Nesbitt the way he hangs in there and just presses his will on the opposing defenses he may be a special kid for us in the coming years.

4NatlChmps

Jolly Good Fellow
From what I have seen this year our safeties are a huge liability. Specifically #1 seems to be out of position almost every play and has lost the edge to tackle. As good as 6 is at kick blocking - he seems afraid to hit/tackle (hence he couldn't hang on to a fumble in a dog pile). I am very concerned about all DBs except 28. Funny thing was I thought that would be a strength.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
From what I have seen this year our safeties are a huge liability. Specifically #1 seems to be out of position almost every play and has lost the edge to tackle. As good as 6 is at kick blocking - he seems afraid to hit/tackle (hence he couldn't hang on to a fumble in a dog pile). I am very concerned about all DBs except 28. Funny thing was I thought that would be a strength.

The lack of quality play at safety is puzzling. or disturbing. We used to have a string of really good ones and this appears to be a position that would be easy to recruit. I can't believe we don't have other options. Or is it coaching? Share your concerns with the other spots as well.

our D strategy appears to be how others have defended us in the past. Avoid the big play, keep the ball in front of you and force the other team to run alot of plays on a drive, increasing the possibilties of a turnover or drive stalling penalty.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
When you have a weaker D (78th in total D unadjusted for competition), isn't it better to sell out to stop the other team and wither give up the TD or stop them quick? Otherwise you take a weak D and make it weaker by keeping it on the field. And it keeps the strength of the team (O) off the field.

Tenuta comes to mind.......

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
IJ has been struggling since his sophomore year. I've said this many times in the past, he had a great freshmen year then seemed to regress every year since. He takes horrible angles to tackle and gets blown by in deep pass coverage. He has had so many deep TD passes that his man scored and he got burned. I used to laugh because it seemed every deep TD pass against us it would show IJ trailing the receiver. I think we have better guys we can play over him.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I have never impressed IJ or Golden on defense and yet guys on here kept saying how our back 7 was the strength of the D. Still smh. Demond is improved from last year, but he had a lot of room for that.

DuckGT

Ramblin' Wreck
Isaiah is struggling. I agree.

Has Isaiah ever tried to wrap up the ball carrier? Its seems every time he comes to make first contact he leads with his shoulder instead of wrapping up. There have been several times when he has tried to lower the "boom" and the runner is barely phased and keeps on going.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Boomer, I think there is a tendency to exaggerate the ability of all players who have played a while. We tend to remember the good plays that stood out and perhaps put too much emphasis on experience.

The VT interior line is a lesson in football in our era. I had hoped that our much improved defense against the run had to do with more intensity due to our playing a big name, in conference team. No one would think that a high profile team such as VT would have a weaker middle three than no names Wofford, Tulane, and Ga Southern.