Film Study - Defense vs VT

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Can say what you want about the D...but time after time they showed up in the second half. They were the only reason we had a chance to win the game late....Our offense had several possesions where they didn't do anything and our D kept bailing them out.

Offense also put us in a tough spot in with the TO near the endzone.

Defense also had a pick 6 that gave us the lead in the 4th.

Hell of a effort by them and I am damn proud of that preformance.
Our D was a mixed bag as it has been all year. Fortunately, they made plays at good times. VT's offensive ineptitude counted for a lot, however. How many times did they shoot themselves in the foot with really, really stupid dead ball penalties?

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Do I think our defense is progressing? I am not sure. But there is one encouraging facet to our play this year. We have created a fairly high number of third and longs so far. That has to bode well if we can keep that up. We had crappy days on that down and distance against VT and GSU (H2). However, having crappy days on third and long, vs third and shorts all the time, is a waaaaay different problem.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Do I think our defense is progressing? I am not sure. But there is one encouraging facet to our play this year. We have created a fairly high number of third and longs so far. That has to bode well if we can keep that up. We had crappy days on that down and distance against VT and GSU (H2). However, having crappy days on third and long, vs third and shorts all the time, is a waaaaay different problem.

At least our guys can execute our scheme. I think we are getting there although the competition is ramping up. I am excited we burned Simmons' shirt, he may be our pass rush we are looking for. I am not as down on our D as I was before the season started.

rodney

Georgia Tech Fan
Just a reminder folks we have a really yping team hopefully they are not still so young and mistake prone in a couple more games but as long as we are winning it doesn't matter. Miami is winnable and so is duke!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

We have 6 ints this year (tied for 9th in the country, leading teams have 8). I think Brewer is a gunslinger who helped us out a lot, but the more we keep getting people to 3rd and long, the better we will do.

The only way to get to 3rd and long is to not do very well on first and second down. Kind of obvious, but that's why the high completion % on 3rd and long are probably a fluke in the short run and will average out over time.