Film Study - Defense vs Miami

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
am i the only one who hates the 4-2-5? bring back the 4-3 or 3-4 and at least try to stop the run

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I think it is less about scheme and more about youth on defense. I think Ted is doing what he can on defense without putting our young guys on an island by themselves. I think are guys are progressing, but we lost a lot of experience off the D last year. Miami has about as much speed on the edge as anyone we will face, so it looked like Ted played it safe until they got across the 50. Which was a good plan when matched up with our offensive strategy.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
It seems like Miami is taking a page from Ugag's book on Duke. There's no question that Gurley is the best back in the country. There's also no question that if the Dwags lose him to injury, they are done for the year when it comes to the SEC.
Gurley is very good, but don't sleep on their other 3-4 backs. The way to beat Georgia, or any good rushing team is to make them one dimensional. And vice versa on a passing team.

slugboy

Staff member
Making them one dimensional means taking away what they do best. Like making us pass a lot. Thought that was self explanatory.
Nah, that's "taking away what they do best". Making a team one-dimensional hurts balanced offenses, since they're more predictable if you take away one of the key parts of their game.

Being one dimensional means that the overwhelming majority of your offense either comes from run or pass, not a balance of the two. 1 dimensional = just run OR pass. 2 dimensional = run AND pass.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Nah, that's "taking away what they do best". Making a team one-dimensional hurts balanced offenses, since they're more predictable if you take away one of the key parts of their game.

Being one dimensional means that the overwhelming majority of your offense either comes from run or pass, not a balance of the two. 1 dimensional = just run OR pass. 2 dimensional = run AND pass.

Then again, wouldn't it be even better for your defense to make the other team to zero-dimensional, like we did to Miami in the 2nd half, last week? Hard to be even one-dimensional when you are standing around on the sidelines.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

To be fair, our run game is multi-dimensional enough to be the majority of our offense. Most other teams' run games are not.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Agree DCS, our "running" game is two dimensional .....run for BB or QB or backward pass to AB/BB. Where we got really stuffed in previous years was where teams like VT blew up the line and took away the pitch, and made us truly one dimensional running the QB or BB.

Add the forward pass and the field is spread ever where.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Agree DCS, our "running" game is two dimensional .....run for BB or QB or backward pass to AB/BB. Where we got really stuffed in previous years was where teams like VT blew up the line and took away the pitch, and made us truly one dimensional running the QB or BB.

I think JT's speed is making DC's gunshy about attacking the LOS the same way as in years past. (Foster did a lot less gap attack this year.) I hope it's more a factor of our OL being improved, but I think it has more to do with what I just stated. Either way, it's a win for us!

Demond may have screwed up once on that touchdown play but that's about it. He played well.

The only way to gain experience is to play. When you play, you may make a mistake, but you LEARN. In all honesty Miami's wideouts were probably better athletes than we have in our secondary. We have to help our back 4 (or 5) with some pressure up front. I think Miami was better than Va. Tech offensively, so the conclusion is we are improved a little on defense since the game in Blacksburg. Huge advantage with our offense keeping Kaaya and Duke Johnson off the field, but our defenders are getting better, IMHO.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
After seeing every play a bunch of times and looking at pretty much every player in the picture, I come away shocked and amazed that we won. The biggest saving grace was how little time it took to review the game compared to normal. I guess only 40 something snaps will do that for you. I will say this much though, because I want to give our guys some credit, we played really really hard, every guy, right down the roster, no matter who rotated in. The effort was palpable. Did we play well? Consistently? Certainly not. We made some big plays at the right moments, but overall we got schooled and pushed around.

We failed to contain and over-pursued like crazy, especially early. When the DL is getting handled, the pressure is really there on the guys at the second level to make plays. You can see the sense of urgency to help, and to be truthful, I get it. Once a UM guy got into space, our guys did a really good job of taking good angles and not letting the run outs happen. In a sense, we contained them better than, say, GSU or Tulane.

UM has a really good O Line. No kidding. The VT middle three looked like a pillow fight at a sleep-over compared to these guys. They blocked the crap out of us. They really did. Their skill guys are really really fast and they made us pay. There were lanes out there and DJ is really good at making the most of them. They gave our DEs no respect at all and shifted their focus to Gotsis and Green as most opponents have done.

Kyle Travis had a rough game, between penalties, and failing to contain, he was responsible for giving up a fair amount of turf that didn't have to happen. Demond had a rough game to I think. He had his eyes in the wrong place and stopped moving his feet on their first TD and he got himself out of position a few times too.

Keshun Freeman made a few plays and beat his guy a couple times. He is a little overmatched physically, it seems, but he is enough of an athlete to get angles on guys sometimes. He will be good, but a RS would have been good for him this year.

For the first time ever, I saw Kallon beat a guy straight up and make a run at the QB creating a little pressure. Good for him. That was a little ray of sunshine and a modest indicator of progress. Gotsis and Green each made a few plays here and there, but let's face it. They had a really tough assignment. They caught a lot of doubles and against really good players too. It wasn't an easy day at the office.

I do think the safeties played better. They are out of the picture a lot of the time, but they seemed to tackle better and arrive in time more consistently when the camera was out there. I thought Milton played well. He has good speed and Lord knows he needed it Saturday night.

PJ Davis looks like a missile supporting the run, but he was a little late picking up guys releasing a few times giving up easy completions. That 4,2, 5 sure looks barren in the flats some times. There is a lot of space out there.

We didn't force many third downs, but this time, when we did, we had a lot better luck getting them off the field. That was a major improvement.

In the end, this game was won because we did less to help the opponent on offense than they did for us. I think their inexperience at QB led to sloppy execution at the most crucial times. We should feel fortunate to be where we are. It is a good thing we have an offense. I love the effort. We are going to continue to need it. But we sure as heck are going to need the offense to show up every game too.

PS: For the life of me, I can't figure out why UM didn't decide to pound it more and take some of the game management pressure off Kaaya. It may have meant even fewer snaps for everybody, but it probably would have been a better formula. Balance for balances sake I guess.
Have rubbed the Blarney Stone several times this year.............seems though when we need a break we get it and that is unusual.When I see Miami vs us or anybody I keep saying "I wish we had that kind of talent" but so far they dont play well as a team.From what I saw we didnt arm tackle much but thank goodness they didnt run Dook as mu;ch as they probably wanted to in the fourth quarter.Miami seems to play well when they are ahead or tied but when they are behind they seem to ditch the run for the pass..Good effort on our part thought.....glad we are getting some breaks.HW

I have not seen a distribution chart on our passing, but the feeling is we go left, right, over the middle, short and deep about equally. Some of Longestday's videos showed Miami's LB's playing well off the line, even in traditionally run situations. Maybe they were told to stay put, but it was almost comical that they remained basically stationary waiting to be blocked sometimes. Point being, the "threat" of a pass, and probably JT's speed on the perimeter is a new can of worms for DC's. And in the Miami game, Miami compensated for the possibility of a pass, and we just kept running it at them. As their distraught post game fan video meltdown stated, " Georgia Tech ran the ball 63 #@?!&%$# times on us"

Last edited:
Have rubbed the Blarney Stone several times this year.............seems though when we need a break we get it and that is unusual.When I see Miami vs us or anybody I keep saying "I wish we had that kind of talent" but so far they dont play well as a team.From what I saw we didnt arm tackle much but thank goodness they didnt run Dook as mu;ch as they probably wanted to in the fourth quarter.Miami seems to play well when they are ahead or tied but when they are behind they seem to ditch the run for the pass..Good effort on our part thought.....glad we are getting some breaks.HW

Don't you kiss the Blarney stone?