Film Study - Defense vs Miami

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
After seeing every play a bunch of times and looking at pretty much every player in the picture, I come away shocked and amazed that we won. The biggest saving grace was how little time it took to review the game compared to normal. I guess only 40 something snaps will do that for you. I will say this much though, because I want to give our guys some credit, we played really really hard, every guy, right down the roster, no matter who rotated in. The effort was palpable. Did we play well? Consistently? Certainly not. We made some big plays at the right moments, but overall we got schooled and pushed around.

We failed to contain and over-pursued like crazy, especially early. When the DL is getting handled, the pressure is really there on the guys at the second level to make plays. You can see the sense of urgency to help, and to be truthful, I get it. Once a UM guy got into space, our guys did a really good job of taking good angles and not letting the run outs happen. In a sense, we contained them better than, say, GSU or Tulane.

UM has a really good O Line. No kidding. The VT middle three looked like a pillow fight at a sleep-over compared to these guys. They blocked the crap out of us. They really did. Their skill guys are really really fast and they made us pay. There were lanes out there and DJ is really good at making the most of them. They gave our DEs no respect at all and shifted their focus to Gotsis and Green as most opponents have done.

Kyle Travis had a rough game, between penalties, and failing to contain, he was responsible for giving up a fair amount of turf that didn't have to happen. Demond had a rough game to I think. He had his eyes in the wrong place and stopped moving his feet on their first TD and he got himself out of position a few times too.

Keshun Freeman made a few plays and beat his guy a couple times. He is a little overmatched physically, it seems, but he is enough of an athlete to get angles on guys sometimes. He will be good, but a RS would have been good for him this year.

For the first time ever, I saw Kallon beat a guy straight up and make a run at the QB creating a little pressure. Good for him. That was a little ray of sunshine and a modest indicator of progress. Gotsis and Green each made a few plays here and there, but let's face it. They had a really tough assignment. They caught a lot of doubles and against really good players too. It wasn't an easy day at the office.

I do think the safeties played better. They are out of the picture a lot of the time, but they seemed to tackle better and arrive in time more consistently when the camera was out there. I thought Milton played well. He has good speed and Lord knows he needed it Saturday night.

PJ Davis looks like a missile supporting the run, but he was a little late picking up guys releasing a few times giving up easy completions. That 4,2, 5 sure looks barren in the flats some times. There is a lot of space out there.

We didn't force many third downs, but this time, when we did, we had a lot better luck getting them off the field. That was a major improvement.

In the end, this game was won because we did less to help the opponent on offense than they did for us. I think their inexperience at QB led to sloppy execution at the most crucial times. We should feel fortunate to be where we are. It is a good thing we have an offense. I love the effort. We are going to continue to need it. But we sure as heck are going to need the offense to show up every game too.

PS: For the life of me, I can't figure out why UM didn't decide to pound it more and take some of the game management pressure off Kaaya. It may have meant even fewer snaps for everybody, but it probably would have been a better formula. Balance for balances sake I guess.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
I think part of the reason UM didnt just pound the rock as people keep wondering is because DJ isn't really an every down back and he has some ball security issues. But you're probably right when you say balance for balances sake.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
I find myself waiting on your review every week. Thanks so much. It is crazy that we kept the ball nearly 41 minutes. Just think if the two interceptions had been completions in the endzone, we could have lost with 40 minutes of offense. As you say, we should be very thankful for freshman qb and also that the U doesnt have Bud Foster. I am shocked at how they played our offense.

Stonewall

Jolly Good Fellow
i think the defensive gameball should go to JT! i don't think we win that game without holding the ball for 40 minutes and punching in scores. because of his ability, CPJ can go balls out like he used to which is damn nice to see!

the D doesn't have to be lights out when our O and ST's are doing their parts. just hang in there and get a key stop or turnover here and there to get our O back on the field. it's a winning formula as long as every moving piece in all three facets works in synch and it's great fun to watch when it's happening. we keep it up we gotta chance to beat anyone in football.

Last edited:

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
We are a flawed team. But so is everyone else. We will see teams with great skill positions and bad OL's. Good defense and bad offense. Lots of new qb's. Teams on the skids or playing undisciplined or ones that have lost faith in their coaches.

Right now we have gaps on defense. What else we have though is an effective and improving offense, high effort levels, teamwork, confidence, good kicking, some luck, a favorable schedule, lots of seniors, and exceptional team chemistry. We will see how far that takes us.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Thanks Boomer.

I sat in the North end zone and got a really great vies of the line play and spread on the field. What amazed me is how Miami could get people around the edge but we would still make the tackle with the one person (DB / S) who was out there and fought off a block to make the tackle. Miami was visibly faster than we were but we tackled well (that is the limit to my insight). They would still be scoring if they had run the edge all night with a few up the middle to keep us honest........ wait that's sort of what we did. ;)

What I read from this is that our DTs and DBs are getting better but our DEs are hanging on. Is that a fair assessment? And should we be getting DE help from next year's class?

Edit update: Redmule agree 100% that we and everyone else we play in the regular season are flawed.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
I would like to point out that there are only 12 teams with more interceptions than we have (7). Particularly interesting is that we have no single player in the national picture (interceptionwise) which means our interceptions are "team" pics. I think this is potentially very significant as the season unfolds.

Our secondary has repeatedly indicated that some of our interceptions are resulting from film study - this is good coaching and good playing and not just picking off poorly thrown balls. So, in this thread of defensive concerns there are some bright spots worth noting.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
If UM could get in their head to pound the rock they would be formidible. But thats a them problem.

I for one has felt the secondary has played well these last two games.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
We def have a ball hawking and ball ripping defense if nothing else, remember that there were two other near fumbles in the game that got overturned

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Well, I really appreciate these write ups, Boom. They continue to support what we all know. Our D is being held up by duct tape and chicken wire. ha,ha We MUST get better talent in here, and we need to do it very quickly. It is likely that our deficiencies on D will cost us at least 1 or 2 games we could have won this year, but so far, we have avoided that. Hopefully, it can continue. I still say that if we even had East Carolina's D, for example (especially their D line), we might be in serious discussion about making it to the playoff this year. Our guys are really undersized, and their quickness/speed is not on the high end either. With that said, I still see great effort, and I really appreciate our coaches and players for this effort!!! Go Jackets!!

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
I feel like we're a pass-rushing DE threat away from a really solid team. Just makes me more pissed that Whitehead and Hunt-Days couldn't play this year. But who knows, maybe we lose on of those games somehow. Guess I'm happy to be 5-0 and we don't face a team until Clemson that we can't beat by offense alone.

Whatllyahave

Georgia Tech Fan
I love being 5-0 but if somebody just has the patience to run it right at us for 4 quarters we will get pantsed. We just don't have the horses to stop a power running game.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
It seems like Miami is taking a page from Ugag's book on Duke. There's no question that Gurley is the best back in the country. There's also no question that if the Dwags lose him to injury, they are done for the year when it comes to the SEC. So he's sitting some of the time (until now, I suppose).

Same with Duke. His backups aren't; he's all alone out there and without him da U can kiss a ground game goodbye. So they're more protective of him. In their shoes, once we started to average 4 ypc on the dive, I'd have put him in and ran him. I'm sure that crossed their minds. That leads me to think that he may not have fully recovered from his broken ankle last year. Perhaps they are protecting him. Oth, they may have thought that they had a better chance to score quickly by throwing the ball. In the second half, they really needed to do that.

But on to Puke. We'll deal again with these clowns next year.

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
If kallon continues to progress and our ends as well our d line may not be such a weakness when we get to the big teams at year end...

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It seems like Miami is taking a page from Ugag's book on Duke. There's no question that Gurley is the best back in the country. There's also no question that if the Dwags lose him to injury, they are done for the year when it comes to the SEC. So he's sitting some of the time (until now, I suppose).

Same with Duke. His backups aren't; he's all alone out there and without him da U can kiss a ground game goodbye. So they're more protective of him. In their shoes, once we started to average 4 ypc on the dive, I'd have put him in and ran him. I'm sure that crossed their minds. That leads me to think that he may not have fully recovered from his broken ankle last year. Perhaps they are protecting him. Oth, they may have thought that they had a better chance to score quickly by throwing the ball. In the second half, they really needed to do that.

But on to Puke. We'll deal again with these clowns next year.
Well, they did pretty much whatever they wanted, run or pass, most of the time. Their breakdowns all seemed to happen in the passing game, however. That is why I would have thought running the ball would have been more of a sure thing. I get your point though, and you may be right about trying to protect him.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
It would be nice to be able to get Gotsis at DE a bit this year. Time for Gamble and Kallon to step up some more. Have to be given the chance but also have to earn that chance in practice. Go Jackets!

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Thanks,Boomer.About what I thought. Won by smoke and mirrors (and a young QB).
I did not appreciate our last gasp grabs on tackles sometimes til I saw tape.No good but good enough.
Couldn't believe that uM didn't run Duke even 3 times in row.It would have devasting for us probably.
D Smith is still a non-factor in the 4-2-5.A good rover is like gold on Def.That first M TD was WAY too easy.
If our DEF falls off even a bit vs doook and we give them even 2 TOs or more possessions ,we could be in big trouble this week.