Film Study Film Study - Defense vs Alcorn St

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
If you bring 5 or 6 EVERY third down, you become predictable. If you KNOW a blitz is coming you can destroy it with well timed screens and dump offs etc. I agree with you, we need pressure, but you can't do the same thing every time. Like I said, they were getting the ball out quickly and never tried to let down field routes develop. I don't care how many you bring, you are not getting there if they have hot routes and three step drops or quick roll outs etc. It is too early to say our rush isn't good. We had players beat the men in front of them only to have the ball chucked out in a hasty manner.
Nailed it, and we did have a pretty good amount of qb presure when he did let routes progress a little more. we won't know much about our d till week 3 and on imo.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
I like KeShun, but Antonio Simmons looks really explosive out there. He may end up being that edge rusher we thought Whitehead would be.
Gray missed a few tackles, but you can see the talent and the frame.
Kallon is getting more consistent at getting leverage. He just needs to keep working.

We outclassed them, and were up 4 scores before they got anything going. It's hard to take too much away, but the first team shut them down. That's all you expect from your starters.
Tulane will be the next tune up.

GTsuperfan

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree you don't want to blitz every 3rd down but pretty close particularly with Notre Dames oline. Doesn't mean you are blitzing the same gap every time either. Corners can fire, PJ can go outside or inside and so can marcodes. We should be blitzing 3 out of 4 3rd downs but that's just my opinion. I'm ok getting burned here or there on a screen. It's all about guessing right and forcing 3-4 punts a game.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I agree you don't want to blitz every 3rd down but pretty close particularly with Notre Dames oline. Doesn't mean you are blitzing the same gap every time either. Corners can fire, PJ can go outside or inside and so can marcodes. We should be blitzing 3 out of 4 3rd downs but that's just my opinion. I'm ok getting burned here or there on a screen. It's all about guessing right and forcing 3-4 punts a game.

When you have NO athletes in most positions on defense and you have an offense that can t score on long drives = pray

When you have very few athletes in most positions on defense and you have an offense that can score on long drives Sometimes = 2013 and 2014 early till NC -= read react with some first half tight coverage then take measured chances.

When you have pretty good atletes in most positions on defense and you have an offense that can kick *** = late 2014 and 2015 early = pick your spots but be aggressive as much as possible because the more the offense has the ball in first half the more fatigued the opponent defense will be in second half. By end of season - during tough stretch --- "time to let the yellow jackets loose ". We could be a very good team by end of year.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The biggest message I got from the Alcorn St. game is that we are committed to playing aggressive defense all year. That has been dictated from the top. I agree with this strategy totally.

In prior years, against the early cupcake, we would have played vanilla and sat back on our heels, hoping not to reveal too much out of our package and prevent the needless big play while our offense scored every possession. This year, despite the talent advantage, we pinned our ears back, got up in WRs faces, and dialed up all kinds of stunts and blitzes in the very first tune up game, right from the opening snap. Thursday night was a statement in terms of defense. The days of soft zone and large cushions are over. Let the games begin. We will be getting after it this year, for good or for bad. Mark it down.