Film Study Film Study - Defense vs Alcorn St

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Once again, this report is based on a half of viewing. I just can't bring myself to watch every "garbage time" play 10 times. I got what I wanted out of the first half.

First off, I want to give the Alcorn St. offensive line some props. They were the obvious class of the team, in other words, their best unit. I thought they were polished, physical, athletic and tenacious. They presented a challenge that I think represents FBS level football. To a man, across the line, they may have lacked the ideal length that a lot of FBS programs are looking for, but those kids are tough players and they appeared very seasoned. I have no idea if they are young or new or whatever (too lazy to look it up), but they look like a salty verteran group to me. If you ask our players, I'll bet they agree.

I was pleased with the overall tone of our defense the other night. We came out and played agressively, with energy, and got up in their faces. Perhaps this came with the confidence of playing an FCS opponent, but I hope it carries over into the meat of our schedule. On the surface, you may be disappointed that we didn't get a half dozen sacks and toss their QB around like a rag doll. Well, how many deep routes (meaning more than 10 yards down field) did you see them try and throw? Zilch, is the answer. They didn't have time to do that. To make matters worse, whether perceived or real, their QB didn't play as if he felt he had time to run their "quick stuff" either. He had a short clock in his head (perhaps put there in practice during the week working with his QB coach) and rushed about everything. Our skill guys on defense suffocated their skill guys on offense. Bottom line. There was little room or time to do anything. We were up in their faces and they couldn't get separation. If they were committed at all to taking shots down the field, we would have gotten to their QB a fair amount in my estimation. As it was, their pocket was moving and collapsing, even with the short clock.

They ran some shotgun based option in the back field in order to try and mount a run game. Because we tend to see a lot of this during the season, every time they left our DE unblocked, I double checked to see if LBs (or Nickel guys or who have you) were on the same page with the DE. In other words, if the DE crashed to the "dive", I wanted to make sure we had a player obviously dedicated to the "keep" and determine did he actually get there. For the most part we did, but there were a couple of busts that were not cashed in on, fortunately.

On to the position groups:

It was fun to watch the DL for a change. I feel like the energy was there. They made it a pretty easy day for the LBs for the most part. We did not get pushed out of lanes as much as I had become used to seeing. For the most part, we either held point (with great frequency), or beat our guy (with a little frequency), while demanding double teams much of the time. Although we rarely got there, the pocket was a thing in motion and not static like we saw so many times last year. The push up the middle was present. It just isn't realistic to expect to see DTs busting through every play, but we got push and, at times, got past our guy. Hunt did some good things. He took on a fair number of doubles, so he was no secret to Alcorn St. In fact, every time they ran option, both he and Gotsis got the double while the playside DE was left unblocked. He is not an easy guy to go against. He didn't take over the game, but he was a pest and he was effective. Gotsis is a better player than last year. He just keeps getting better. He has improved his body and his experience really shows. I don't know the guy at all, but I would bet his work ethic is off the charts. Freeman is still good at getting angles and beating guys with flanking moves, but until the bull rush becomes a part of the package, he will never be "elite". I really like him as a player. He is solid and perhaps more confident, but he is not a dominating force quite yet. If I could give Kallon a hug right now I would do it. He has upped his game and looks like a FB player. His pad level is better. He is using his hands some, got some push, and he flew around the field with tremendous hustle. He got way more snaps than he is used to and got a little gassed in the process, but you have to like how he came out of the gate energy-wise. I don't think he is a starter, but my confidence level has grown. It wasn't perfect with him, but he looked far from out of place. He has always been very athletic and now it is starting to show on the field. Gamble, once again, looks solid yet unspectacular at SDE. He lacks a little in the pass rush but he is a hard guy to move.

PJ Davis has always been a missile at LB since he arrived, but he never looked like a "big" player for his position. He is noticeably bigger this year and it has done nothing to slow him down. He plays fast and hungry, but I also think he reads things better now. He has made a jump in my estimation. He has kept all the good and appeared to have become even more of a force. Our LB crew was aggressive and seemed to do a good job of picking up the underneath stuff. #9, Alexander? Looks the part. He moves well, but seemed to be slower on his reads and less decisive than the experienced guys. He is physical with a lot of potential, but, as is normal with young guys, he is a little behind.

You really have to like what you saw out of our defensive backfield Thursday. We were up in their grill and in to their backfield. Our reads were good and we flew into position. We were better athletes than them and we knew it. Golden and Smith were reading minds out there. It is uncanny their sense of anticipation and how quickly they can go from playing deep to taking a guy down 2 yards past the LOS. Milton and White gave up no room. Total shut down of inferior players. Total. Nickel has got to be the most fun to play in our scheme. Maybe the most difficult too, but fun. They will have a chance to influence the results perhaps more than anybody this year. Both Austin and L. Griffin were very aggressive and quick.

I can't think of a single missed tackle. Great athletes force those to happen sometimes and they didn't have many. We are ready for a greater challenge. The talent differential in the skill positions was just too great to take away too much from this game. I do like what I saw though. If nothing else, there is a different attitude and confidence amongst the kids. It is palpable.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Once again, this report is based on a half of viewing. I just can't bring myself to watch every "garbage time" play 10 times. I got what I wanted out of the first half.

First off, I want to give the Alcorn St. offensive line some props. They were the obvious class of the team, in other words, their best unit. I thought they were polished, physical, athletic and tenacious. They presented a challenge that I think represents FBS level football. To a man, across the line, they may have lacked the ideal length that a lot of FBS programs are looking for, but those kids are tough players and they appeared very seasoned. I have no idea if they are young or new or whatever (too lazy to look it up), but they look like a salty verteran group to me. If you ask our players, I'll bet they agree.

I was pleased with the overall tone of our defense the other night. We came out and played agressively, with energy, and got up in their faces. Perhaps this came with the confidence of playing an FCS opponent, but I hope it carries over into the meat of our schedule. On the surface, you may be disappointed that we didn't get a half dozen sacks and toss their QB around like a rag doll. Well, how many deep routes (meaning more than 10 yards down field) did you see them try and throw? Zilch, is the answer. They didn't have time to do that. To make matters worse, whether perceived or real, their QB didn't play as if he felt he had time to run their "quick stuff" either. He had a short clock in his head (perhaps put there in practice during the week working with his QB coach) and rushed about everything. Our skill guys on defense suffocated their skill guys on offense. Bottom line. There was little room or time to do anything. We were up in their faces and they couldn't get separation. If they were committed at all to taking shots down the field, we would have gotten to their QB a fair amount in my estimation. As it was, their pocket was moving and collapsing, even with the short clock.

They ran some shotgun based option in the back field in order to try and mount a run game. Because we tend to see a lot of this during the season, every time they left our DE unblocked, I double checked to see if LBs (or Nickel guys or who have you) were on the same page with the DE. In other words, if the DE crashed to the "dive", I wanted to make sure we had a player obviously dedicated to the "keep" and determine did he actually get there. For the most part we did, but there were a couple of busts that were not cashed in on, fortunately.

It was fun to watch the DL for a change. I feel like the energy was there. They made it a pretty easy day for the LBs for the most part. We did not get pushed out of lanes as much as I had become used to seeing. For the most part, we either held point (with great frequency), or beat our guy (with a little frequency), while demanding double teams much of the time. Although we rarely got there, the pocket was a thing in motion and not static like we saw so many times last year. The push up the middle was present. It just isn't realistic to expect to see DTs busting through every play, but we got push and, at times, got past our guy. Hunt did some good things. He took on a fair number of doubles, so he was no secret to Alcorn St. In fact, every time they ran option, both he and Gotsis got the double while the playside DE was left unblocked. He is not an easy guy to go against. He didn't take over the game, but he was a pest and he was effective. Gotsis is a better player than last year. He just keeps getting better. He has improved his body and his experience really shows. I don't know the guy at all, but I would bet his work ethic is off the charts. Freeman is still good at getting angles and beating guys with flanking moves, but until the bull rush becomes a part of the package, he will never be "elite". I really like him as a player. He is solid and perhaps more confident, but he is not a dominating force quite yet. If I could give Kallon a hug right now I would do it. He has upped his game and looks like a FB player. His pad level is better. He is using his hands some, got some push, and he flew around the field with tremendous hustle. He got way more snaps than he is used to and got a little gassed in the process, but you have to like how he came out of the gate energy-wise. I don't think he is a starter, but my confidence level has grown. It wasn't perfect with him, but he looked far from out of place. He has always been very athletic and now it is starting to show on the field. Gamble, once again, looks solid yet unspectacular at SDE. He lacks a little in the pass rush but he is a hard guy to move.

PJ Davis has always been a missile at LB since he arrived, but he never looked like a "big" player for his position. He is noticeably bigger this year and it has done nothing to slow him down. He plays fast and hungry, but I also think he reads things better now. He has made a jump in my estimation. He has kept all the good and appeared to have become even more of a force. Our LB crew was aggressive and seemed to do a good job of picking up the underneath stuff. #9, Alexander? Looks the part. He moves well, but seemed to be slower on his reads and less decisive than the experienced guys. He is physical with a lot of potential, but, as is normal with young guys, he is a little behind.

You really have to like what you saw out of our defensive backfield Thursday. We were up in their grill and in to their backfield. Our reads were good and we flew into position. We were better athletes than them and we knew it. Golden and Smith were reading minds out there. It is uncanny their sense of anticipation and how quickly they can go from playing deep to taking a guy down 2 yards past the LOS. Milton and White gave up no room. Total shut down of inferior players. Total. Nickel has got to be the most fun to play in our scheme. Maybe the most difficult too, but fun. They will have a chance to influence the results perhaps more than anybody this year. Both Austin and L. Griffin were very aggressive and quick.

I can't think of a single missed tackle. Great athletes force those to happen sometimes and they didn't have many. We are ready for a greater challenge. The talent differential in the skill positions was just too great to take away too much from this game. I do like what I saw though. If nothing else, there is a different attitude and confidence amongst the kids. It is palpable.

Overall a good retailed and accurate analyses. Maybe not so rosy if the Alcorn QB had not missed so many short throws or his receivers had not dropped so many passes. We did let two receivers get open deep behind us (one for a long completion) and there were some missed tackles and over-pursuits, but mostly in the second half. Like you I am encouraged with the progress of our D and thought we played well.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Boomer, did Rook-Chungong play much? Going into the game I think he was listed as a co-starter.

I have to admit to being a little disappointed that Freeman wasn't able to work himself free more. My biggest defensive concern by far this year is pass rush.

GTsuperfan

Jolly Good Fellow
I think we are fooling ourselves trying to get pressure with just four. I like the approach of taking double teams and moving offensive linemen to allow the LB to blitz. Same plan for Tulane and definitely Notre Dame whose Oline did a fantastic pass protection job against the bland UT four man Rush. We need to bring 5-6 on every 3rd down.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
I think we are fooling ourselves trying to get pressure with just four. I like the approach of taking double teams and moving offensive linemen to allow the LB to blitz. Same plan for Tulane and definitely Notre Dame whose Oline did a fantastic pass protection job against the bland UT four man Rush. We need to bring 5-6 on every 3rd down.
Yep!!

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Overall a good retailed and accurate analyses. Maybe not so rosy if the Alcorn QB had not missed so many short throws or his receivers had not dropped so many passes. We did let two receivers get open deep behind us (one for a long completion) and there were some missed tackles and over-pursuits, but mostly in the second half. Like you I am encouraged with the progress of our D and thought we played well.
They dropped a lot of passes. They are a great team in their division and can hardly believe dropping passes is a tendency. I hope it was due to fact we have a hard hitting defense and AS guys expected to be hit hard.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
I know our 1st unit DL didn't play much but Tulane game can give a read on our run def.I think dook only gave up like 50 yds to Tulane on ground.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I know our 1st unit DL didn't play much but Tulane game can give a read on our run def.I think dook only gave up like 50 yds to Tulane on ground.

I could be alone, but I'd really like our D to compete against other ACC D's for efficiency stats against comparable opponents. Our offense may be good enough to take over games early. Maybe if our D played to be the best D in the ACC statistically, we'd keep them motivated and focused.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
A large part of Alcorn's O is a run/pass option by their QB, sort of like Ole MIss used last year (this year too, apparently). That's very hard to defense if you aren't closing quickly on the QB when he takes off. We did just that. I think Gibbs made several decisions he wouldn't have made against their regular opponents because he thought, correctly, that his receivers were not going to be open very long. He ran, we closed, then he threw before they were ready. But if he had waited, we would have made things much worse. If he had brought the ball down and ran more often they would have had more success.

I don't know what our performance against Alcorn actually meant, given the talent differences. But when you hold a team that averaged 44 points a game to 6 points and (I think) 2 first downs in the first half, you really can't complain too much.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If you bring 5 or 6 EVERY third down, you become predictable. If you KNOW a blitz is coming you can destroy it with well timed screens and dump offs etc. I agree with you, we need pressure, but you can't do the same thing every time. Like I said, they were getting the ball out quickly and never tried to let down field routes develop. I don't care how many you bring, you are not getting there if they have hot routes and three step drops or quick roll outs etc. It is too early to say our rush isn't good. We had players beat the men in front of them only to have the ball chucked out in a hasty manner.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I honestly don't think we will have to bring many more than 4 to get home against Tulane. It is gonna be interesting how Roof approaches ND. Great QB and a big physical O line. They will challenge our secondary, and we will have to bring some pressure to keep them honest.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Also, I meant to add that we didn't stay totally vanilla like you might think in a first game. There were some special stunts and blitzes along the way. I think CTR's goal was to come out and make a defensive statement, even if it meant showing some of the tools in the shed. Personally, I am glad we did. Confidence is a huge part of playing defense. Hopefully we gained some last Thursday.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
To answer your question about Alcorn State's experience, the announcer made the comment that they returned all 11 starters on offense from last year. And that team won their conference last year. They did, however, lose their offensive coordinator and replaced him with the OC from Alabama State, one of their competitors.

So your observation about their OL being experienced was dead on.

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
Thank you for the analysis, Boomer. I hope for GT's continued improvement against Tulane but can't wait to see this defense against "the real deal" as I read a few times yesterday.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

I really liked Boomer's analyses of the defense. My only negative reaction was about the "no missed tackles" as I thought there were several. I rewatched the game and have to agree that the tackling was good (so much better than this time last year). However, the starters did miss 3 tackles (that should have been made), one in the first Q by 12 and two in the second Q, one by 35 and one by 28. I expected more in the second half but could only find 3, one by 94, one by 8, and one by undetermined from the camera angle. I only found two "overpursuits" in the second half by the backups. Good job Boomer.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
I really liked Boomer's analyses of the defense. My only negative reaction was about the "no missed tackles" as I thought there were several. I rewatched the game and have to agree that the tackling was good (so much better than this time last year). However, the starters did miss 3 tackles (that should have been made), one in the first Q by 12 and two in the second Q, one by 35 and one by 28. I expected more in the second half but could only find 3, one by 94, one by 8, and one by undetermined from the camera angle. I only found two "overpursuits" in the second half by the backups. Good job Boomer.

I think AJ missed one also