Film Review - Orange Bowl

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Seemed MSU went into halftime with the intention of stopping the passing game and our outside game. They had no answer to what CPJ had waiting for them the second half.

Faulkner475

Georgia Tech Fan
I think those plays are part of the belly series - particularly the play described in the 3rd paragraph. We've seen it a few times this season. Somebody with more knowledge than me can elaborate.

/

Yep. The play were the playside guard kicks out the DE and everybody else collapses down is good ol' Belly G. Tech ran that a ton in the second half, as well as some inside zone, which was Synjyn's big TD run.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think a large amount of recognition needs to be paid to our our offensive assistant coaches who took CPJ's game plan and taught it to the players in the weeks leading up to the game. Coach can't do it by himself.
This is true. However, I don't think the kids were learning this stuff for the first time. We have run all these plays in the past. I am sure we repped them to death in the practices leading up to the game to get sharp though. I think the way CPJ operates is he installs a bunch of stuff over time, but only uses a portion of it in any one game plan. Then, if he decides to use some wrinkles from the playbook, he only has to polish the diamond in the week of practice. We run our bread and butter plays every game, but there always seems to be somethng to go to if that stuff starts to break down.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Once again, Boomer, thanks so much for your analysis. I get an education almost every week on this board. My simple take could be summed up by what I yelled at might wife who was in another room during the game: "We're running the B back play over tackle and they can't stop it!" Now I know the whole story.

On your last point -- about keeping it going -- I'm hoping so hard this time is different. In the past we have often followed great seasons with our head coach leaving. Our head coach and DC are solid, and that should be the biggest factor in keeping it going this time around. We would seem to be gaining traction with recruiting and the season can only help. Keep the coaching staff happy, keep the recruiting momentum going. Making the team mindset the norm at GT would be another piece. Make sure new players are made aware of it, or even start emphasizing it in recruiting. Over recruit quarterbacks. You never know from watching high school ball which quarterbacks will be good and which will be great, game changers.

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
One play that I haven't seen discussed and that really got my attention was Michael Summer's catch. It wasn't a big gain, nothing fancy, but his acceleration from catching the ball standing still to turning up field was impressive . . . or at least it looked that way in real time. Anyone else remember that play?

edit: great writeup Boomer!

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
One play that I haven't seen discussed and that really got my attention was Michael Summer's catch. It wasn't a big gain, nothing fancy, but his acceleration from catching the ball standing still to turning up field was impressive . . . or at least it looked that way in real time. Anyone else remember that play?

edit: great writeup Boomer!

Michael looked good on two of those screens. Last year he looked very good on the "Smelter WR reverse". I would like to see us employ the UGA tunnel screen to Searcy and Summers. That play has worked against us for years and now we have the talent to use it ourselves.