Film Review - Orange Bowl

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
To be truthful I mostly just watched this game a second time like a regular fan, following the ball. However, I did stop to review each play in the 3rd quarter several times because I wanted to get my mind wrapped around what we did blocking-wise to get the dive established the way we wanted it. Obviously, MSU had a couple really good DTs. They are clearly what what makes their defense effective. They gave us a hard time early on with the standard dive plays we were throwing at them. CPJ is a master at putting in some wrinkles into every game plan each week. There is little doubt he saw the quality of their DTs on film and developed a special package, should they slow us down with our standard stuff. This package consisted of 3 special plays, as far as I could tell, all designed with taking playside DTs out of play, either through optioning them off or the double team.

The first was a play that looked a bit like a counter where the motioning AB would reverse himself after taking a couple false steps. Every time he did this the MLB would take the bait a move a couple steps in the wrong direction. On the play, our OG and OT pushed the play side DT inside while the back side OG pulled to kick out the outside defenders, usually the DE. The motioning AB (who reversed himself play side) was an extra blocker who usually took on the LB low. This play was run to the B gap just outside the doubled DT. The hand off was usually a reverse spin by the QB, amplifying the effect of the deceptive play action. I don't know what this play is called, but it worked really well. Just when it looked like MSU was starting to figure what they wanted to do with it, CPJ pulled the next play out of his bag of tricks.

This dive was also run to the B gap or outside but behind an unbalanced line as a change. We would add an extra OT to one of the sides and, on the play, both OTs would block back to the inside and the play side OG this time (not back side) would pull outside the extra OTs and clean up the edge. This play, more than any other IMHO, broke their will and crushed their spirit. We ran it a bunch.

After all that, we added some pretty standard midline and watched their brains explode. These plays went for great effect. After being doubled for most the half, the playside DT was now left unblocked and took the dive bait seemingly every time, leaving JT a huge lane as both ABs went flying into the hole ahead of him chopping people to the ground. JT even took a couple poorly blocked midlines way down the field after juking some kids out of their shoes.

I can't say enough about the precision with which these plays were executed. These kids were extremely well prepared. Not only that that, be these were exactly the right tactics to throw at that defense. We hadn't done a ton of this stuff during the year, so I doubt they really had a plan for it.

MSU's defense was throughly frustrated and confused. The game flipped in our favor during this time. They knew they weren't going to be stopping us. You could see it their body language and on their sideline. We gave up a ton of yards on New Year's eve, but there was no doubt who was in control of the game. None. They made plays here and there, we finished drives while relentlessly pushing forward. Our big plays finished in the end zone while theirs finished on the 30; big difference.

Our defense is a bit undermanned. I think it is perfectly fair to make that statement. However, our kids played really hard. If there is one thing I have noticed, it is that our tackling has steadily improved. So much so, that it really appears that opposing offenses have to earn everything they get. It didn't used to be that way. Guys like Isaiah Johnson, Jamal Golden, Quayshon Nealy and Chris Milton are playing the best football of their careers in recent weeks. They are hitting hard and always seem to be in the right place. Great effort, excellent preparation, and good tackling are just enough to mitigate the weaknesses we have. We have a lot of kids playing now and they all seem to know what they are doing. Our DL is nowhere close to being the most feared in the land, but you have to give Pelton some credit for improving their technique and developing them as the season wore on.

The season is over, but you have to love where we are headed. The entire program seems to be gelling. GT has never been able to maintain a level of elite performance during my 35 seasons as a fan. Special seasons have normally been followed by mediocrity or worse. The challenge for us is to capitalize on the momentum and continue to build this thing. We have some players to replace and a culture to maintain. Let's get it done.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Our defense is a bit undermanned. I think it is perfectly fair to make that statement. However, our kids played really hard. If there is one thing I have noticed, it is that our tackling has steadily improved. So much so, that it really appears that opposing offenses have to earn everything they get. It didn't used to be that way. Guys like Isaiah Johnson, Jamal Golden, Quayshon Nealy and Chris Milton are playing the best football of their careers in recent weeks. They are hitting hard and always seem to be in the right place. Great effort, excellent preparation, and good tackling are just enough to mitigate the weaknesses we have. We have a lot of kids playing now and they all seem to know what they are doing. Our DL is nowhere close to being the most feared in the land, but you have to give Pelton some credit for improving their technique and developing them as the season wore on.

The season is over, but you have to love where we are headed. The entire program seems to be gelling. GT has never been able to maintain a level of elite performance during my 35 seasons as a fan. Special seasons have normally been followed by mediocrity or worse. The challenge for us is to capitalize on the momentum and continue to build this thing. We have some players to replace and a culture to maintain. Let's get it done.
Of all the bowl teams I watched I thought only Oregon tackled as well as we did. Also our blocking has greatly improved and very few penalities. Great fundamental football. We have come a long way Baby!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Thanks Boomer. Appreciate the more detailed description of why the "dive" worked so well in the second half. It seems to me that CPJ figures out who the D is keying off of, OT or OG or AB and then changes the plays to make their reads the wrong read. Totally screws with their minds. The hard part is executing and making the blocks since the other team generally has D players who are good at defeating blocks and making plays (tic).

The level of precision on our O at the end of the season has been breathtaking. It is going to take a while next year to be able to even come close to that level of precision given our new AB/BB/WRs. CPJ said that in his 36 years of coaching, this team was one of the hardest working he has ever had. You could see that in the improvement from week to week.

Just a great season to be savored.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
They are hitting hard and always seem to be in the right place. Great effort, excellent preparation, and good tackling are just enough to mitigate the weaknesses we have.

AS GT fans, we understand that our talent is not going to be what Bama or tOSU trots out on the field (imagine being so loaded that you can beat Wisky and Bammer with a 3rd string QB). However, most of us have said that these three things - effort, preparation and solid technique - ARE things we can (and should) control. It was great to finally see that on the flats. On the other side of the ball, these things were apparent by the lack of false starts and other mental blunders. This was a good looking, well coached FB team this year.

chicoGT

Georgia Tech Fan
Speaking of film review, ESPN3 has a complete version of the Orange Bowl shot from the aerial cam. No commentary or graphics, only the aerial cam & PA. Cool way to watch our O ( but a little disorienting, like a rollercoaster).

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
...most of us have said that these three things - effort, preparation and solid technique - ARE things we can (and should) control. It was great to finally see that on the flats. On the other side of the ball, these things were apparent by the lack of false starts and other mental blunders. This was a good looking, well coached FB team this year.

So true 4shot. What gets me is that last year GT would implode so frequently on offense with penalties and mistakes composed of missed/poor blocks and bad reads. We know he later was on Vad, but many people blamed CPJ for the formers nd said it was proof that he was not a good coach. So what happened this year? Either CPJ put in extra effort to get the offense to eliminate mistakes, or last year the offense was just young (and smaller?) and it matured this year.

Regardless of the reasons, I think we all agree and are glad that football fundamentals were prevalent this year.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
I think those plays are part of the belly series - particularly the play described in the 3rd paragraph. We've seen it a few times this season. Somebody with more knowledge than me can elaborate.

/

Animal02

Banned
Thanks Boomer. Appreciate the more detailed description of why the "dive" worked so well in the second half. It seems to me that CPJ figures out who the D is keying off of, OT or OG or AB and then changes the plays to make their reads the wrong read. Totally screws with their minds. The hard part is executing and making the blocks since the other team generally has D players who are good at defeating blocks and making plays (tic).

The level of precision on our O at the end of the season has been breathtaking. It is going to take a while next year to be able to even come close to that level of precision given our new AB/BB/WRs. CPJ said that in his 36 years of coaching, this team was one of the hardest working he has ever had. You could see that in the improvement from week to week.

Just a great season to be savored.
Not only is CPJ the master of adjustments......Tech players are smart enough to handle the multitude of schemes it takes make it happen. I do not think CPJ would be quite as effective with a less brains and more "talent" in terms of mid game adjustments and one of the factory schools.

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
Boomer, you talk about the fact that our tacking has improved. I couldn't agree more. In previous years and early this year it seemed like our secondary would just try to hit the opposing ball carrier and expect him to go down. This is exactly what would lead to the defense being torched because often they wouldn't go down. In the second half of this season we actually started wrapping up the ball carrier and tacking and this stopped most of the long plays against us. I think if we continue to focus on fundamental tackling technique, coupled with improved athleticism and scheme, this defense can be pretty good.

I have heard a lot of talking heads in recent years discuss how tackling is atrocious across all levels of football. I must say I agree with that. If our guys can continue to tackle like players did "back in the day", this should go a long way to our continued improvement on defense.

CrackerJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
This dive was also run to the B gap or outside but behind an unbalanced line as a change. We would add an extra OT to one of the sides and, on the play, both OTs would block back to the inside and the play side OG this time (not back side) would pull outside the extra OTs and clean up the edge. This play, more than any other IMHO, broke their will and crushed their spirit. We ran it a bunch.

After all that, we added some pretty standard midline and watched their brains explode. These plays went for great effect. After being doubled for most the half, the playside DT was now left unblocked and took the dive bait seemingly every time, leaving JT a huge lane as both ABs went flying into the hole ahead of him chopping people to the ground. JT even took a couple poorly blocked midlines way down the field after juking some kids out of their shoes.

The unbalanced line dive play was devastating. You can really see it well on the skycam feed (ESPN3). And the midline play where JT turned a loss into a huge gain was priceless - provoked a collective 'ooooohh' you could hear plainly on that skycam feed. Folks, that feed is the best way I've seen to study our offense. Take a look before ESPN takes it off the site.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Thanks for the breakdown, as always.

You could really see the air being let out of their defense's balloon early in the 3rd. All the typical gyrating after routine tackles and "birdman" hand signs by their S all but faded away after Days bludgeoned them on that 69yd run.

A curious thing I noticed while perusing the MSU site was their fans thinking we were faking injuries. I didn't get that impression at all.

tugdog235

Georgia Tech Fan
There was a play or two where I saw one of our guys try to get to the sideline and were clearly hurt, or at least hurting. However, they either couldn't make it at all, or realized they couldn't get off the field before the next play and laid down so the trainers could get to them.

I will admit it could have potentially screwed with their rhythm, but when you need to get off the field, there's not much of a choice but to lay down if the play is about to go off.

slugboy

Staff member
It's nice to hear that perspective on the defense--especially being in the right spot and making tackles. You could tell how much effort those guys were expending when you saw so many of them cramping up. Hopefully, next year is a step up on offense, defense, and special teams.

BTW, anyone see why our punting game was off so much?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
BTW, anyone see why our punting game was off so much?

No f'ing idea. I usually write up all the ST plays and may yet. But it's simple. Butker kicked well and Rodwell really sucked. No big breakdowns in coverage.

Why Rodwell had his worst game*as a Yellow Jacket, I don't know. There wasn't pressure or bad snaps on his shanks. He may have been sick, but he was awful. http://www.cfbstats.com/2014/player/255/1047238/punting/gamelog.html

* worst game since in other game with low total punting yards he was pinning people inside the 10.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
So true 4shot. What gets me is that last year GT would implode so frequently on offense with penalties and mistakes composed of missed/poor blocks and bad reads. We know he later was on Vad, but many people blamed CPJ for the formers nd said it was proof that he was not a good coach. So what happened this year? Either CPJ put in extra effort to get the offense to eliminate mistakes, or last year the offense was just young (and smaller?) and it matured this year.

Team chemistry is always going to be based on the attitude of the players on the team. First and foremost is that all of the players buy into the schemes on offense, defense, and special teams. Once that happens then accountability and leadership take over. Here is a classic example of what everyone overlooked about GT heading into 2014:

http://isportsweb.com/2014/08/01/georgia-tech-qbs-go-vanilla-triple-fudge-season/

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
To be truthful I mostly just watched this game a second time like a regular fan, following the ball. However, I did stop to review each play in the 3rd quarter several times because I wanted to get my mind wrapped around what we did blocking-wise to get the dive established the way we wanted it. Obviously, MSU had a couple really good DTs. They are clearly what what makes their defense effective. They gave us a hard time early on with the standard dive plays we were throwing at them. CPJ is a master at putting in some wrinkles into every game plan each week.

After thirty-five years of running and perfecting this offense, CPJ is a great game day coach at making adjustments. The only drawback has been getting the proper fits for this offense. It appears that is now ingrained enough that every year moving forward despite graduation that players will step up and keep the system efficient making GT a perpetual contender in the Coastal. Pending injuries which is something that everyteam has to deal with each season.

mqpayne

Jolly Good Fellow
Been going to GT games since the belly play days of 1956 and Gator Bowl win over Pitt. Never been prouder. Best analysis of CPJs adjustments I have seen. Let's create next years chip on shoulder by challenging the 2015 team to be the first Great GT team to repeat and move up.