FEI Off/Def/SpT Rankings 2018

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
What team is this not true of?????

Edit:...damn. Suckered in by another scheme hating thread derail...

I don't hate the scheme, and I never said I did. I love the scheme. When it works, it's a thing of beauty. All I'm saying is that it's all about the offensive line, and blocking. I don't know a lot about x's and o's, but other offenses have things they can try when the OL is getting blown up, like screens, draws, counters and various misdirections. We don't seem to do much of that. We seem too one-dimensional, too dependent on making one thing work.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
And in another example of why we should all take statistics with a grain of salt, after a thorough beatdown of VT where we almost scored every possession, we moved from the #11 most efficient offense per FEI to ...uhhh.....#12. LOLOLOLOLOL

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feioff

They also have us with record of 3-4. So maybe they did not take our Thursday game into account?

Deleted member 2897

They also have us with record of 3-4. So maybe they did not take our Thursday game into account?

My personal guess is that they exclude FCS games, so Alcorn State is not included. Which means our efficiency with however they calculate it was pretty decent against VT but not great in their numbers' minds.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
My personal guess is that they exclude FCS games, so Alcorn State is not included. Which means our efficiency with however they calculate it was pretty decent against VT but not great in their numbers' minds.
I can’t format on mobile so I apologize. Again, it’s nothing about it not being a good night against VT. It was great.

Last week
11 Georgia Tech 2-4 3.14 3.06 10 0.452 14 0.562 15 0.758 39 0.419 8 0.553 7 0.726 21 0.129 86

This week
12 Georgia Tech 3-4 3.18 3.29 9 .486 10 .585 10 .786 20 .457 5 .582 5 .743 10 .114 74

we improved our overall score (non opponent adjusted) by .23! That’s actually pretty significant. Our opponent adjusted only increased by .04 though due to VT not being very good.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I can’t format on mobile so I apologize. Again, it’s nothing about it not being a good night against VT. It was great.

Last week
11 Georgia Tech 2-4 3.14 3.06 10 0.452 14 0.562 15 0.758 39 0.419 8 0.553 7 0.726 21 0.129 86

This week
12 Georgia Tech 3-4 3.18 3.29 9 .486 10 .585 10 .786 20 .457 5 .582 5 .743 10 .114 74

we improved our overall score (non opponent adjusted) by .23! That’s actually pretty significant. Our opponent adjusted only increased by .04 though due to VT not being very good.

Can you confirm it was LALa?

Deleted member 2897

Can you confirm it was LALa?

Well all the teams above us on that list either had a Bye Week last week or had big blow outs against poor teams. Georgia is the only team that played a decent opponent...and they were > 50% on 3rd down conversions, had no turnovers, and no plays over 35 yards (ie it was just a big fat dominating grind for them).

So I suspect they all did enough to stay ahead of us because of that.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Well all the teams above us on that list either had a Bye Week last week or had big blow outs against poor teams. Georgia is the only team that played a decent opponent...and they were > 50% on 3rd down conversions, had no turnovers, and no plays over 35 yards (ie it was just a big fat dominating grind for them).

So I suspect they all did enough to stay ahead of us because of that.

LALa beat Ark St 47-43. It may be that their algorithm thinks ArkSt D is that much better than vpi's.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
LALa beat Ark St 47-43. It may be that their algorithm thinks ArkSt D is that much better than vpi's.
Sorry, I only copied our numbers from the previous week not the whole data set. I can't remember if LALa was ahead of us or not. GT, Houston, and LALa are within .03 points so the overall ranking isn't very important.

The most important jump I saw was Oklahoma jumping Alabama this week. Alabama has an unadjusted score of 4.5 (holy ****) but it gets adjusted down to 4.1 (still crazy) due to their weak competition.

Deleted member 2897

Sorry, I only copied our numbers from the previous week not the whole data set. I can't remember if LALa was ahead of us or not. GT, Houston, and LALa are within .03 points so the overall ranking isn't very important.

The most important jump I saw was Oklahoma jumping Alabama this week. Alabama has an unadjusted score of 4.5 (holy ****) but it gets adjusted down to 4.1 (still crazy) due to their weak competition.

It is funny isn't it. They fashion themselves the best team in the country...and so they schedule Arkansas State, Louisiana-Lafayette, The Citadel... Texas A&M and Miss St are somehow ranked (barely) despite being 5-3 (Go $EC)...but there is a high chance (if TAM and MSSt lose again) that Alabama plays ONE ranked team all season (LSU). LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
It is funny isn't it. They fashion themselves the best team in the country...and so they schedule Arkansas State, Louisiana-Lafayette, The Citadel... Texas A&M and Miss St are somehow ranked (barely) despite being 5-3 (Go $EC)...but there is a high chance (if TAM and MSSt lose again) that Alabama plays ONE ranked team all season (LSU). LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.
I don't know the process of the playoff committee, but I do hope they use blind comparisons as part of their process. Poll bias is way too strong.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
...but there is a high chance (if TAM and MSSt lose again) that Alabama plays ONE ranked team all season (LSU). LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.
Now, why doesn't Tech schedule like that? Instead we line up home and homes with UCF and Notre Dame. That's insane, imho. A large part of winning is a schedule that allows you to, you know, win.

Deleted member 2897

Now, why doesn't Tech schedule like that? Instead we line up home and homes with UCF and Notre Dame. That's insane, imho. A large part of winning is a schedule that allows you to, you know, win.

That’s what Duke does. It helps them go 6-6 even though they go 2-6 in ACC play.