FEI Off/Def/SpT Rankings 2018

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Next year is make or break for Nate Woody... They've done well with turnovers but they still can't stop anyone unless they take the ball away.

It's really unfortunate because everyone wants to blame the offense, but the offense clearly isn't a problem... its the defense.

Actually his defense is doing what i hoped it would do - force TO's. If you look at GT under Johnson that is the simple biggest correlation between wins. TO margin. When we force alot of TO's we win.

I have no hope we will ever have anything other than mediocre to poor defenses under Johnson. It's just how his program is run. His program is about his offense and everything else is ancillary. In 11 seasons he has had an avg or better defense once - his first year. Throughout his career he has largely had poor defenses.

I basically see Johnson as the inverse of Gailey. Gailey's program routinely had strong defenses and weak offenses, Johnson routinely has strong offenses and weak defenses.
I do need to see this offense perform against an above avg defense to feel good about it. Everybody is killing L'ville - heck Wake beat them 56-35 last week.
We were the third team this season to score 45 or more against VT. Bowling Green is one of the 10 worst programs in FBS this season.
Fortunately we get an UNC team that is bad against the run this weekend (something like 100th nationally). But I want to see the offense perform against UVA and Miami i think that will tell us how much it has improved.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
You would think that while CPJ is an offensive guru, he would just hire a great DC and let him have total control of a defensive unit that can be good. CPJ doesn't have to care about defense for it to be good. Washington State has made big strides on defense despite Leach not giving a damn about it.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
You would think that while CPJ is an offensive guru, he would just hire a great DC and let him have total control of a defensive unit that can be good. CPJ doesn't have to care about defense for it to be good. Washington State has made big strides on defense despite Leach not giving a damn about it.

I'm not sure if this is intended as TIC, but it is what he's been trying to do (iiuc). Fwiw, his D's at GS were pretty good.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Next year is make or break for Nate Woody... They've done well with turnovers but they still can't stop anyone unless they take the ball away.

It's really unfortunate because everyone wants to blame the offense, but the offense clearly isn't a problem... its the defense.
Our adjusted was 3.14 and raw was 3.06. I have the rest of the numbers is another thread I can paste here if anyone wanted.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
If what you just said is true, then can he blamed for not having a team with a good defense?
Depends on how much freedom you believe the AD gave CPJ while hiring defense coordinators. If you think the AD gave him free reign then you can give all the blame to CPJ. I feel like the AD may have financially been keeping CPJ from other options.

At the end of the day we still want to see good defenses on the field.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Depends on how much freedom you believe the AD gave CPJ while hiring defense coordinators. If you think the AD gave him free reign then you can give all the blame to CPJ. I feel like the AD may have financially been keeping CPJ from other options.
Yep. It was obvious that Coach wanted to keep Chip Kelly, but Tech refused to come up with the money to match FSU's offer. It is hard to say if that would have cured our D problems; Kelly didn't exactly set the house on fire at FSU. Still, the continuity he would have offered - and being able to avoid Al Groh - might have been easily worth the money required.

Deleted member 2897

Yep. It was obvious that Coach wanted to keep Chip Kelly, but Tech refused to come up with the money to match FSU's offer. It is hard to say if that would have cured our D problems; Kelly didn't exactly set the house on fire at FSU. Still, the continuity he would have offered - and being able to avoid Al Groh - might have been easily worth the money required.

He has tried numerous times over the years to hire particular DCs and has not been given budget anywhere near average market value.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
DFEI has been HORRENDOUS under CPJ. Ironically, our best DFEI numbers came in 2015, the worst year we've had since the Bill Lewis years. Even then, we came in at a pedestrian 62. Despite the stacked defense of 2008 (in terms of talent), where pretty much the entire DL and DB groups all saw time in the NFL, we only had a DFEI of 71.

At some point, you have to look at the common denominator: CPJ. 4 DCs, and ALL of them could not give us even an average defense. The jury is still out on CNW, and there are some good things going on, but our DFEI rankings are still pretty bad as of now. It's not like we don't recruit well on defense either. Most of our NFL draft picks and NFL players during the CPJ years has come on the defensive side of the ball. Most of our 4 star recruits come from the defensive side of the ball.

As others have alluded to, maybe we just have to live with a not so good defense as long as CPJ is here.

Deleted member 2897

Except Ted Roof was one of the higher paid DCs in all of college football...he was actually one of the highest paid COORDINATORS in all of college football:

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/assistant

Our total coaching money pool on that list if you sort it is so far down the list I can't even calculate where in the hell we are. I think I read in the bottom 3 of P5, so that's probably it. It could be that since Roof (#29 nationally of all assistants) consumed 25% of our entire assistant coaching money that it crowded out all the other individual position group coaches in terms of volume and/or quality.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Our total coaching money pool on that list if you sort it is so far down the list I can't even calculate where in the hell we are. I think I read in the bottom 3 of P5, so that's probably it. It could be that since Roof (#29 nationally of all assistants) consumed 25% of our entire assistant coaching money that it crowded out all the other individual position group coaches in terms of volume and/or quality.

Ranked #42 according to that list. So, probably on the lower end for P5 schools, but not terrible. That will be increasing soon.

Let's also note, you don't need to overpay for assistants. You just need to play the money ball game better at the assistant coaching positions. We're paying less now for our DL coach, and getting better results. Our DLs are actually improving as the season goes along, and technique looks like someone is actually coaching them.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Except Ted Roof was one of the higher paid DCs in all of college football...he was actually one of the highest paid COORDINATORS in all of college football:

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/assistant
But was Ted Roof CPJ's choice or was it a coach that was sorta handed to CPJ? I'd love to hear the whole story behind that hire, because I can't personally figure out why CPJ would have chosen Roof unless it was kinda forced upon him.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
But was Ted Roof CPJ's choice or was it a coach that was sorta handed to CPJ? I'd love to hear the whole story behind that hire, because I can't personally figure out why CPJ would have chosen Roof unless it was kinda forced upon him.

Whenever CPJ told the story, it was like Ted expressed interest, and CPJ said why not.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If I remember right, Roof came real cheap. Most of his paycheck after his raise came from donors.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
In wish u would not mention al gxxx .

I think u meant ted roof but no biggie.

Where is chip Kelly coaching?