Favorite Underrated Tech Players

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Couple of punters made big contributions several times in the Gailey years which were so field-position-oriented.

Ben Arndt stopped a punt return with a tackle to save a TD and the win in 2004 when GT won at #3 Miami. Durant Brooks boomed a bunch of huge long ones the next few years too.
I watched that game recently and the play you talked about with Ben seemed like he knew what he was doing instead of the usual kicker throwing himself at the runner sort of thing.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Before some of your time, but around the year 1990 there was this walk-on named Kevin Tisdel who asked Coach Ross if he could try returning kicks.

(They often spelled his name “Tisdale,” but I believe the spelling above is correct).

Dude ran all over the place. I can’t remember how many 30+ yard returns he had that year, but IIRC it was a collegiate record at the time. His 78-yard return against Clemson got us back in a position to win it. And every other time he caught the ball, he was a threat.

Not bad for a walk-on.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
QUAYSHAWN NEALY
This is a good answer for underrated/underappreciated studs. Some posts in this thread are mentioning folks like Charlie Thomas as if he wasn’t the most popular player on his teams.

From the same era, I’ll throw out Tony Zenon as a guy who maybe wasn’t the first guy you thought of from his teams but played a crucial role in making the wheels turn.

I want to put in a hoops entry for this thread as well just because I prefer basketball over football and I’m going with Adam Smith, Quinton Stephens, and Khalid Moore.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I didnt realize Tony went to Deerfield.
A GOAT according to a church friend who is a long time teacher at Deerfield. His family was uprooted by Katrina. Got in the car with all their belongings and drove east and stopped at Albany. Received assistance and Tony got an athletic scholarship and received intensive tutoring. He was already pretty sound in math so he became a huge success story out of that tragedy. He was too small for a typical running back for most programs but in the flex bone he was perfect for an A back

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Has anyone mentioned Joe Fusile? From walk-on to starter (and a good one), and captain:

"Because of his respect and influence among teammates and coaches, he was selected as captain for the 2023 season. He was also nominated for the Burlsworth Trophy for the second consecutive year. This award recognizes the best college football player who originally joined the team as a walk-on."

1725027712183.png

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Has anyone mentioned Joe Fusile? From walk-on to starter (and a good one), and captain:

"Because of his respect and influence among teammates and coaches, he was selected as captain for the 2023 season. He was also nominated for the Burlsworth Trophy for the second consecutive year. This award recognizes the best college football player who originally joined the team as a walk-on."

View attachment 16718
Our guy Freer also needs a shout out! Critical piece of the team as well as a PhD student. Unreal accomplishment imo.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Larry Good (sic) was Kim Kings backup and was subsequently to king graduating was qb .
He was injured - right knee iirc. Went to see my only away game at Auburn - but think it was in different stadium. Defense and Larry fought valiantly against what appeared to be a stronger more talented team. Larry was so on target the only incompletes hit the recievers in the helmet. As time expired he drove us down for a winning field goal attempt. We made it as,sun came out and shown on the gold and white. I decided to go see him play at UGA. He was playing w injured knee. After we scored on our first posession, a low hit took him out of the game. Gt 8- UGA 49 iirc.