Favorite Underrated Tech Players

Mattmc10

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m going with the Muyres brothers from the early 2000s. Great possession receiver and solid DB between them.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Robbie G is the goat. Embodied Tech football to me, in that he punched above what he looked like he could. Same with Julian Burnett . If he was 3 inches taller, he would have had a long NFL career.

Kerry Watkins is one that, playing with guys like Kelly Campbell and Dez White, was really under appreciated, and just a great all around player.

A weird one for me is Kyric McGowan. Would have loved to see him with Haynes as his QB in this offense. Dude was a slasher with power and I’m sure we could have dialed up something to get him the ball. What could have been.

Current times: My boy Jamal Haynes. Kind of did the Tony Hollings in switching positions and exploding onto the scene, but gives me the JB/Godhigh vibe. Dude is just a football player and gives it everything. You love to watch it.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I always felt that Jemea Thomas was underrated. He always played so clutch, but it didn’t always feel like he got credit for his accomplishments.
Yep. When I was teaching high school in Worth County, we played Fitzgerald and that guy literally never left the field. He played, as I dimly recall, quarterback in certain situations, running back in certain situations and receiver in others. On defense, he was a cornerback at times, a strong safety at others and a kind of quasi linebacker at times. He returned punts and kickoffs as well as being on the defensive side of those situations. Remarkable player. In high school, he was the kind of player that other teams' players would point to and tell teammates something like: "He is the guy we have to watch." A fine player for Georgia Tech and to the best of my knowledge never a moment's trouble out of him.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Yep. When I was teaching high school in Worth County, we played Fitzgerald and that guy literally never left the field. He played, as I dimly recall, quarterback in certain situations, running back in certain situations and receiver in others. On defense, he was a cornerback at times, a strong safety at others and a kind of quasi linebacker at times. He returned punts and kickoffs as well as being on the defensive side of those situations. Remarkable player. In high school, he was the kind of player that other teams' players would point to and tell teammates something like: "He is the guy we have to watch." A fine player for Georgia Tech and to the best of my knowledge never a moment's trouble out of him.
Jemea played through injury, too.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Lots of great memories here, hard to argue with any of them. What was Goose rated? He’ll always be one of my favorites.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Lots of great memories here, hard to argue with any of them. What was Goose rated? He’ll always be one of my favorites.
Goose was WAY underrated when he took over from Joe.
Tech faithful (at least on the fan boards) was largely dubious he'd be able to get the job done. He was thought slow (well, he sort of was), and with clunky mechanics by most.
But his greatest asset was above the shoulders, and he turned out to be a most accurate passer. A quarterback extraordinaire.

forensicbuzz

21st Century Throwback Dad
How about about Ron Rodgers at LB? He played on the field with Keith Brooking and I always felt he got overshadowed by Brooking, but was every bit as good a college LB.
Great at run stuffing, but when he had to drop into coverage, his lack of speed made him vulnerable. Loved that tandem. I still picture him turning and chasing a wide-open TE or RB because he couldn't keep up with him. I was a big Ron Rodgers fan.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I'm late to this party, but my choice (again, I might add) is Mackel Harris. Harris was 6'1", 195 lbs and ran the 40 in an honest 4.4. He played OLB (rumor = he came to Tech because everybody else wanted to make him a DB). I used to revel at watching opposing OLs try to block him. Harris would simply run around them and catch the RB from behind. He was right good at coverage too; he was almost always the fastest man on the field and simply ran them down from behind.

Glad to get a chance to re-live those days.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I'm late to this party, but my choice (again, I might add) is Mackel Harris. Harris was 6'1", 195 lbs and ran the 40 in an honest 4.4. He played OLB (rumor = he came to Tech because everybody else wanted to make him a DB). I used to revel at watching opposing OLs try to block him. Harris would simply run around them and catch the RB from behind. He was right good at coverage too; he was almost always the fastest man on the field and simply ran them down from behind.

Glad to get a chance to re-live those days.
Americus, Georgia product. Two time all state as I recall. State champion in the 100 yard dash although it may have changed to the meter distance by then. Fast, really fast.

Jolly Good Fellow
Kelley’s uncle Danny was 3 yr starter at free safety. Always in the shadow of Kelley’s dad, Randy, but tough tough tough little dude. Held GT record for solo tackles for many years with 21 ( yep, twenty-one!) vs UNC in ‘74… he could not walk out of east stands tunnel after that game ….

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
Gary Lee always seemed to come up with a big play in the mid 80's when we needed it. But a lot of our own fans didn't seem to know who he was. That was, until the '85 UGA game when he returned the kickoff for a TD after we had just fallen behind. It seems like more people know who he is today than back then. Having a son on the current team probably helps with that.

cpf2001

Helluva Engineer
Couple of punters made big contributions several times in the Gailey years which were so field-position-oriented.

Ben Arndt stopped a punt return with a tackle to save a TD and the win in 2004 when GT won at #3 Miami. Durant Brooks boomed a bunch of huge long ones the next few years too.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Gary Lee always seemed to come up with a big play in the mid 80's when we needed it. But a lot of our own fans didn't seem to know who he was. That was, until the '85 UGA game when he returned the kickoff for a TD after we had just fallen behind. It seems like more people know who he is today than back then. Having a son on the current team probably helps with that.
Coach Dooley said after Tech won in 1984 that Tech just "out athleted (sic) us with Gary Lee isolated against our safeties" One of Albany's own along with the linebacker later from Dougherty High School Darryl Smith and even later Tony Zenon from Deerfield Windsor. Good football players all.