Favorite GT vs ND moment?

cpf2001

Helluva Engineer
The 2005 UGA night game to end the season followed by the 2006 ND opener night game were both two of the best BDS experiences I’ve ever see. But they both ripped out my heart.

LadyJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm sorry WHAT? I need context.
ND -- had just beaten us 60+ to 7 or something like that the year before with Ara Parsegian as their HC... GT students weren't having it -- so when they came to ATL the next year the students were ready as they had many frozen mackerals, flounder etc. on ice ready to pelt the Catholics - who liked fish on Fridays... IIRC - that was the logic. I was at that game - the whole ND team & coach Parsegian were huddled in the center of Grant Field getting pelted with fish and bottles -- not a pretty sight but quite humorous - in that GT students did not appreciate their lack of sportsmanship and running up the score the year before. Bad publicity ensued on cover of AJC and cover of SI (IIRC) shortly thereafter. I really didn't care as I recalled their intentional running up the score the year prior. Funny GT memory to me.

bob4gt

Jolly Good Fellow
To second deepsnaps comments, the 69 game was tough and the weather did not help. IIRC, the Arahole called time out with under a minute to play to try to score again. A few years earlier, one of our defensive lineman showed me the bite marks on his leg from a Notre Dame game. The double bar facemask may have stopped that.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Tommy, the fish toss actually dates to the '67 game when St. Ara played his starters the whole game in a 3-36 loss for the good guys.... he was trying to do the same in that '69 game leading 0-30 right before the half, Theisman throwing the ball trying to score until Jeff Ford made his big INT in the 20-38 loss.

BTW, Dudish's disappearing act happened on the Monday before the '69 Notre Dame game.... when he didn't make it back to our bus in the French Quarter Saturday night after the 7-14 loss to Tulane.

Dirtiest players in our era? Notre Dame, hands down. All the cliches about what happens in a pile......

Foulest mouthed fans? Notre Dame fans in South Bend

Foulest mouthed ushers? Notre Dame ushers in South Bend

As for the epithets, you should've heard what OUR Catholic players were calling the Domers! Sheeesh! :cool:
This makes sense, as that’s when my oldest brother was at GT in his SO year.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Tommy, the fish toss actually dates to the '67 game when St. Ara played his starters the whole game in a 3-36 loss for the good guys.... he was trying to do the same in that '69 game leading 0-30 right before the half, Theisman throwing the ball trying to score until Jeff Ford made his big INT in the 20-38 loss.

BTW, Dudish's disappearing act happened on the Monday before the '69 Notre Dame game.... when he didn't make it back to our bus in the French Quarter Saturday night after the 7-14 loss to Tulane.

Dirtiest players in our era? Notre Dame, hands down. All the cliches about what happens in a pile......

Foulest mouthed fans? Notre Dame fans in South Bend

Foulest mouthed ushers? Notre Dame ushers in South Bend

As for the epithets, you should've heard what OUR Catholic players were calling the Domers! Sheeesh! :cool:
Interesting and in great contrast to going to a few ND games in South Bend 2007-2010, a couple non GT games. The ND ushers were beyond courteous and the ND fans tailgating were extremely welcoming to pretty much anyone going to the game. The ND fans in an Irish Pub after we beat the snot out of them in 2007 were respectful and friendly.

Chas_Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
ND -- had just beaten us 60+ to 7 or something like that the year before with Ara Parsegian as their HC... GT students weren't having it -- so when they came to ATL the next year the students were ready as they had many frozen mackerals, flounder etc. on ice ready to pelt the Catholics - who liked fish on Fridays... IIRC - that was the logic. I was at that game - the whole ND team & coach Parsegian were huddled in the center of Grant Field getting pelted with fish and bottles -- not a pretty sight but quite humorous - in that GT students did not appreciate their lack of sportsmanship and running up the score the year before. Bad publicity ensued on cover of AJC and cover of SI (IIRC) shortly thereafter. I really didn't care as I recalled their intentional running up the score the year prior. Funny GT memory to me.
I remember being in the flash card section that game. The fish were hilarious - the liquor bottles (empty) not so much. As noted, the students were really ticked about the previous year and drunker than normal.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
They ran it up for national ranking. Still had first string defense in at the end of the game as I recollect. I guess 60 wasn't enough.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
ND beat us 69-14 in 1977 under HC Dan Devine. That was the infamous “finger” game.

Pepper Rodgers and Devine had bad blood from their time in the Big 8 together (Kansas and Mizzou). DD acted like he was going for 2 to make it an even 70-7. Pepper raised his arms in a “why” position, and story has it DD gave him the 1-finger salute back. He did end up kicking the XP, IIRC.

We scored first, ND scored the next 10 TD’s, and ELI took that last KO to the house to make the final score 69-14.

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
Interesting and in great contrast to going to a few ND games in South Bend 2007-2010, a couple non GT games. The ND ushers were beyond courteous and the ND fans tailgating were extremely welcoming to pretty much anyone going to the game. The ND fans in an Irish Pub after we beat the snot out of them in 2007 were respectful and friendly.
Had a lot to do with their stands coming all the way down to field level & our refusal to take a knee so the locals could see. It was 20F with 20+ MPH winds that November day, so we were standing, stomping our feet, doing anything to stay warm. Their fans didn't like it & expressed their displeasure in the vernacular northerners/midwesterners often do.... spiced up with a lot of "'effin' this & that." The ushers, responding to their locals, did the same.

As we re-entered the tunnel to our dressing room, after pre-game, or halftime, or at the end of the game, the ushers were spitting down on us & cursing as previously described.

It's been 54 years. It's not something you forget, or forgive, as a player.

Ramble1885

proud sidewalk fan
ND fans at least in MY lifetime are amazing. Just very classy and respectful. Although I've heard things were very different back in the 60's and 70's.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
You guys took the bait
IMG_0623.gif