Faulkner Raise

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
All coaches want to feel appreciated. "Home town" discount only goes for so long. If Key is consistently coaching GT to be a top 15-25 team (which I really see being a reality for us in the next 3-5 years), he'll want to be paid like it. The truth is, he'll probably get that if he can make GT a consistent top 15-25 team. Other ADs know that if you can win at GT, you can pretty much win anywhere. That's why our football coaches who have done well have had "bigger" opportunities. Curry, Ross, O'Leary, Gailey, CPJ...all won at GT, and had opportunities at other colleges or the NFL. It will be the same for Key.

Right now, Key is more worried about setting up the foundation to make GT a perennial conference contender, and a playoff candidate. He's fighting hard so GT has the best chance at recruiting, retaining players, and rewarding his staff. He's not worried about himself at the moment. You see this with the raises our staff is getting, and the ability to get an up and coming Defense Coordinator. Faulkner had several opportunities to move on, and he actually turned down a job that would have paid him more than the raise he got recently so he could stay and help Key build something at GT. Key knows he's going to get rewarded (handsomely) if he gets GT where he wants it...and our donors want it. He's got a LOT of mega donors on his side supporting the program with their checkbooks.
To that I have to say (or believe)... Key will get us there.

3-4 years now we won't recognize the Tech teams we're used to

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't believe he will EVER leave GT unless he's fired. The man is a bigger fan than any of us.
That’s living in dream world. Key is a highly competitive person who loves GT no doubt. But, if the day comes where he is doing all he can yet the money constraints keep him from truly competing with schools like UGA, Clemson, and FSU then that will wear on him. I’m not talking about his salary, I’m talking about the player’s salary and the recruiting salary.

Key is proving himself to be a legit head coach because his decisions, to date, have proven out to be correct - coaching changes and picking the right QB. If Santucci pans out that would be another positive. Other coaches and schools are seeing all this, as is Key’s agent (GT finished 4th in the ACC).

The day is coming where schools with money for players will come calling - I believe it will take another 5 years. At that point, Key will have the “big” decision most young successful coaches have- stay where you are comfortable, yet not really compete with the big boys, or go somewhere you can recruit and pay the studs. Gonna be interesting to see what he decides if he keeps GT on an upward trajectory. Of course, I would love for GT to pony up and pay for the same quality of player that UGA buys for Kirby, but I have zero faith that GT cares enough to actually let Key compete on an even level. Eventually, Key will want to show he’s every bit the coach as Kirby or Dabo are. But he won’t beat those guys until GT pays for the same talent.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
We're making progress but to put things into perspective for 2023 the 25th highest paid coordinator was paid $1.4M/yr. We're probably going to need another 50% increase to get close to Top 25 pay.
To also put in perspective at one point Tech paid Ralph the highest coordinator salary in football. Seems impossible nowadays

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
That’s living in dream world. Key is a highly competitive person who loves GT no doubt. But, if the day comes where he is doing all he can yet the money constraints keep him from truly competing with schools like UGA, Clemson, and FSU then that will wear on him. I’m not talking about his salary, I’m talking about the player’s salary and the recruiting salary.

Key is proving himself to be a legit head coach because his decisions, to date, have proven out to be correct - coaching changes and picking the right QB. If Santucci pans out that would be another positive. Other coaches and schools are seeing all this, as is Key’s agent (GT finished 4th in the ACC).

The day is coming where schools with money for players will come calling - I believe it will take another 5 years. At that point, Key will have the “big” decision most young successful coaches have- stay where you are comfortable, yet not really compete with the big boys, or go somewhere you can recruit and pay the studs. Gonna be interesting to see what he decides if he keeps GT on an upward trajectory. Of course, I would love for GT to pony up and pay for the same quality of player that UGA buys for Kirby, but I have zero faith that GT cares enough to actually let Key compete on an even level. Eventually, Key will want to show he’s every bit the coach as Kirby or Dabo are. But he won’t beat those guys until GT pays for the same talent.
Pretty much. I think his salary will play a part as well though. Convincing him to stay here for all of the reasons you said, and for probably less than half as much money as he could make elsewhere is a fools hope. We can't just expect his personal fandom to outrank his ability to chase bigger dreams and set his family up for life. With the changes that are coming, we need to find a path to the SEC or B1G if we don't want to be a stepping stone for even the most devoted coaches.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Pretty much. I think his salary will play a part as well though. Convincing him to stay here for all of the reasons you said, and for probably less than half as much money as he could make elsewhere is a fools hope. We can't just expect his personal fandom to outrank his ability to chase bigger dreams and set his family up for life. With the changes that are coming, we need to find a path to the SEC or B1G if we don't want to be a stepping stone for even the most devoted coaches.
One of my bosses said the same thing. Had been loyal for 10 years, worked my butt off and delivered very high results. Rewarded year after year with mediocre pay raises outside of a couple of promotions because "I wasn't a flight risk", struggled with the same things Key is dealing with- lackluster support, difficult operational environment, tough goals, etc. The mythical large organization loyalty, sense of community, esprit de corps, etc has eroded even in our military. We're a much different world than when my career started or so it seems to me.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
I believe we made Tenuta the highest paid DC at one time also

I'm not sure if he was the highest paid or not, but he was making a lot of money to the DC. This article even references Florida paying a young stud Charlie Strong half of what Tenuta made after the Gators won a Natty.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
CPJ was one of the highest paid coaches in the ACC for a while. After 2015 I think we mostly just stopped spending more and everyone else ramped up their spending.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
My point above has very little to do with Key’s personal salary. It’s about GT paying players so Key can compete on a level playing field. We haven’t had a coach like Key in a long time. Gailey and Johnson were both in their twilight years using GT as their last hurrah. Key is in his prime and losing to guys like Dabo and Kirby simply because they can afford to hire a higher caliber of player will get old for Key as it would for any competitor.

Think 5 years from now and Bama has back door discussions with Key who has proven himself to be a legit coach while getting GT to 8 win seasons. You don’t think Key would love to have the resources of Bama behind him so he could knock that smug smile off Kirby’s face? Of course he would. At GT we talk about will our defense be able to stop anyone, while at Bama Key’s biggest decision would be which 4-5 stars to start on defense.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
When? He had already moved back to his alma mater when Big Bee left.
Instead of Lewis. He went to Maryland and did well there but butted heads with Yow. He had at least one 10 win season there. Gary Williams (who was a terrific coach) had some problems with her as well if my memory is correct. He must have retired or was forced out. Going to the Big10 was a financial move after they incurred a lot of debt and has not worked out well for them. Yow went to NCSU but didn't mess them up as much.
Friegden may have gone to San Diego with Ross along with OLeary. Both excellent coaches. At least we got GOL back.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I never understood this. Peterson was a former college athlete, right?

Yes, but he was/is more of an academic purist. He hated the big business of college sports and said it in an interview. Ultimately, Peterson (and some big donors) turned down the B1G because they saw how big the B1G wanted to become and their commercial ambitions. Peterson didn't want GT to be part of "the machine", and was persuaded by some of his ACC colleagues and GT donors to remain in the ACC. Dan Radakovich, our AD at the time, was extremely frustrated with that decision and it was a big factor in him accepting the Clemson job. The irony is, the B1G is probably more of a "pure" academic league than the ACC is, and GT and Peterson would have been able to have our cake and eat it as well.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
My point above has very little to do with Key’s personal salary. It’s about GT paying players so Key can compete on a level playing field. We haven’t had a coach like Key in a long time. Gailey and Johnson were both in their twilight years using GT as their last hurrah. Key is in his prime and losing to guys like Dabo and Kirby simply because they can afford to hire a higher caliber of player will get old for Key as it would for any competitor.

Think 5 years from now and Bama has back door discussions with Key who has proven himself to be a legit coach while getting GT to 8 win seasons. You don’t think Key would love to have the resources of Bama behind him so he could knock that smug smile off Kirby’s face? Of course he would. At GT we talk about will our defense be able to stop anyone, while at Bama Key’s biggest decision would be which 4-5 stars to start on defense.
Getting prepped for football season I see. Debbie downer in the comments always 😂

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Instead of Lewis. He went to Maryland and did well there but butted heads with Yow. He had at least one 10 win season there. Gary Williams (who was a terrific coach) had some problems with her as well if my memory is correct. He must have retired or was forced out. Going to the Big10 was a financial move after they incurred a lot of debt and has not worked out well for them. Yow went to NCSU but didn't mess them up as much.
Friegden may have gone to San Diego with Ross along with OLeary. Both excellent coaches. At least we got GOL back.
When we hired He Who shall not be Named, Ralph was in San Diego with Bobby Ross. He came back to Tech the year after O'Leary was named head coach. He went to Maryland a year ahead of O'Leary leaving for ND.