Faulkner Raise

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Couple of things:

1. CPJ called out some donors publicly without naming names, and he pretty much said the same thing Braine said, but that was with respect to funding. CPJ had issues with expectations of the football program, but the school and donors not wanting to invest in the program to meet those expectations. There's actually an interview where CPJ said "if you want me to recruit better, give me the money to recruit that the top programs have" (I'm paraphrasing). That was aimed at a certain handful of donors that were vocal about CPJ's performance towards the end of his time here, but weren't willing to step up even though they threw their weight around the program...same donors that was basically working against Batt at the beginning of his time here.

2. Recruiting DLs and LBs was always going to be a struggle at GT with CPJ. I think CPJ did fairly well with some higher rated DLs and some LBs. CPJ did well with signing 4 star DBs though. He did get a sprinkle of 4 star DLs, but some of them just didn't develop like the staff thought they would. The problem with recruiting DLs during that time was other programs "negatively" recruiting against the flex option, and more specifically, the cut blocks. Remember how every DL use to wear knee braces against CPJ's teams? Well, one of the popular things to do at the time was use photos of our DLs walking to practice with knee braces on in preparation for practice. Fair or not, there was always a stigma with our Flex Option and cut blocking...and if you followed this site during that time, it was always something that came up with other teams. Other teams used to always tell recruits, "Son, it's one thing to play against them, it's another thing to get your knees blown up every day in practice." and then they would proceed to show recruits photos of our DLs walking to practice with knee braces. I know this because I had a friend that was an assistant coach at a high level Cobb County high school that produced a LOT of 4 and 5 star recruits and he got to hear a lot of recruiting pitches. This is actually something I've relayed to this board years ago when CPJ was here.

Believe it or not, CPJ's highest rated recruits during his time here came on the defensive side of the ball. He recruited more talent on defense than his vaunted offense. There are theories to why CPJ could never field a consistently average to good defense, but IMO, signing defensive talent was not one of the reasons why he couldn't field a better defense than he did.
I heard Buck Baloo opine on this early in PJ’s career. His observation FWIW was that CPJ wouldn’t have a true passing QB and a true pass-pro OL for a scout team to give our D good reps in preparation for games and that it would show up on the field. He didn’t quibble about the silly practice against them line, and straight up said that wasn’t happening, it was the scout team that would be deficient.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I heard Buck Baloo opine on this early in PJ’s career. His observation FWIW was that CPJ wouldn’t have a true passing QB and a true pass-pro OL for a scout team to give our D good reps in preparation for games and that it would show up on the field. He didn’t quibble about the silly practice against them line, and straight up said that wasn’t happening, it was the scout team that would be deficient.

That's an argument for recruiters, but when your DLs are walking to practice with knee braces and there's already a stigma with cut blocking, we were fighting a "perception is reality" fight.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Couple of things:

1. CPJ called out some donors publicly without naming names, and he pretty much said the same thing Braine said, but that was with respect to funding. CPJ had issues with expectations of the football program, but the school and donors not wanting to invest in the program to meet those expectations. There's actually an interview where CPJ said "if you want me to recruit better, give me the money to recruit that the top programs have" (I'm paraphrasing). That was aimed at a certain handful of donors that were vocal about CPJ's performance towards the end of his time here, but weren't willing to step up even though they threw their weight around the program...same donors that was basically working against Batt at the beginning of his time here.

At Amazon, one of their core leadership principles is "Have Backbone; Disagree and Commit." The notion is that leaders are expected to respectfully call out and question decisions if they see a problem or disagree. It's only through challenging plans that those plans are broken down and rebuilt into ultimately successful plans.

The caveat to that: once a decision is made, even if you disagree with it, as a leader you're expected to commit to it and support it fully. Because a successful organization can't live with continual second-guessing from team members. You hash it out in the ring, no holds barred - then you get behind the winner and throw it your full support.

So far, it's worked pretty well for them as a company.

In my career in various high-growth tech companies, from startups to multi-billion dollar orgs, the most successful ones I've worked for have each had some variation of this as a core value. A team has to operate as a team. Even investors understand this - and in spite of their loud voices (as people who are fronting the money), they're also part of a board and only guaranteed a proportional vote.

It's a shame to me that too many of our boosters appear to have never experienced this at an organization. There's a lot of hubris, which is fine (and expected amongst successfulk executives) - but there's also a lot of "I'll take my toys and go home." I get the impulse - as someone who's fronting a lot of money, you want to see results. But recognizing that even as a big donor, you're not the boss of the program, is a tough but necessary pill to swallow.

Getting boosters on that page was IMO the single best thing Nick Saban did at Alabama. I'm sad that CPJ didn't have that - but hopeful Batt is now making that happen at GT.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
At Amazon, one of their core leadership principles is "Have Backbone; Disagree and Commit." The notion is that leaders are expected to respectfully call out and question decisions if they see a problem or disagree. It's only through challenging plans that those plans are broken down and rebuilt into ultimately successful plans.

The caveat to that: once a decision is made, even if you disagree with it, as a leader you're expected to commit to it and support it fully. Because a successful organization can't live with continual second-guessing from team members. You hash it out in the ring, no holds barred - then you get behind the winner and throw it your full support.

So far, it's worked pretty well for them as a company.

In my career in various high-growth tech companies, from startups to multi-billion dollar orgs, the most successful ones I've worked for have each had some variation of this as a core value. A team has to operate as a team. Even investors understand this - and in spite of their loud voices (as people who are fronting the money), they're also part of a board and only guaranteed a proportional vote.

It's a shame to me that too many of our boosters appear to have never experienced this at an organization. There's a lot of hubris, which is fine (and expected amongst successfulk executives) - but there's also a lot of "I'll take my toys and go home." I get the impulse - as someone who's fronting a lot of money, you want to see results. But recognizing that even as a big donor, you're not the boss of the program, is a tough but necessary pill to swallow.

Getting boosters on that page was IMO the single best thing Nick Saban did at Alabama. I'm sad that CPJ didn't have that - but hopeful Batt is now making that happen at GT.
Man is this ever true. Nothing worse than insecure executives that cannot handle legit criticism so they can keep their head in the game and work it out. It's best for all that way. I've been on teams like that. Just to also affirm, it is just as bad for other executive team members or even junior leaders to publicly snipe at that executive. I have also made that mistake.