Fan Day Roll Call.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Our athletic association is selling an entertainment product, a totally elective purchase for consumers. Providing a negative experience is the worst possible thing they can do. But I'm sure the bookstore debacle is the fault of someone else, someone who won't be held accountable and things will continue as has been done in years past. There may be some good employees in the AA but I'm convinced there are also people there who don't have a clue or don't give a ****.

Instead of b**ching on a fan site why don't you take your concerns to the person that can actually address them? [email protected]

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
Instead of b**ching on a fan site why don't you take your concerns to the person that can actually address them? [email protected]
I wasn't there and personally I've come to expect poor customer service. I've complained to TS when I've had issues and gotten a response but no substantive change. The point of my post was that you cannot fault people for choosing to spend their entertainment dollars elsewhere when they have a negative experience with us. The athletic association cannot afford to assume that people continue to attend and spend money regardless of experience.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I wasn't there and personally I've come to expect poor customer service. I've complained to TS when I've had issues and gotten a response but no substantive change. The point of my post was that you cannot fault people for choosing to spend their entertainment dollars elsewhere when they have a negative experience with us. The athletic association cannot afford to assume that people continue to attend and spend money regardless of experience.

I wasn't there.......................and yet you take the time to post a bi**h about it. I've had dealings with the GTAA for more than a few years now and have rarely had an issue. Based on what was posted by someone who was actually there it sounds like the ball was dropped and the person that posted what he had seen has followed up with the GTAA. I suspect he won't be the only one that brings it to the attention of someone who can address it.

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
I wasn't there.......................and yet you take the time to post a bi**h about it. I've had dealings with the GTAA for more than a few years now and have rarely had an issue. Based on what was posted by someone who was actually there it sounds like the ball was dropped and the person that posted what he had seen has followed up with the GTAA. I suspect he won't be the only one that brings it to the attention of someone who can address it.
I wasn't bitching about fan day, rather I was complaining that we have been complaining about the same things year after year yet nothing changes. The GTAA provides an entertainment product of which there are many options in the Atlanta area (I think I already said this but it was the point of my initial post so I'll say it again.). If we want to attract and retain new fans we need to provide superb (or at least adequate) service. I'm in too deep and there's no looking back but unfortunately most fans are not in the same position.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
They should just give sth a discount at the big bookstore on select items. What difference does it make where the cash register is. Personally I think there's some dead weight underneath TS that needs get get the boot before any operational improvements are seen. The operation of the Junior Jacket program is a disgrace.
Totally agree

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I just think "bitc#ing" is important. I think voicing an opinion may be vital to getting improvements that we desperately need.

I am a tech fan, but I will call it as it is. This program is lightyears away from the tops in the country. It needs 200%attention from the school

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Question: Does Barnes and Noble contract include support for GTAA special events or exclude GTAA from providing their own retail in support of their special events?

My guess would be the latter. In other words, B&N may not be contractually required to be set-up at a certain time or to support an overall good experience for the special event. Indeed, their contract is probably with Tech and not with GTAA so there may not be anything GTAA or AD could do about it directly. However, I wouldn't be surprised if their contract makes B&N the exclusive retailer of GT merch on campus. Catch-22.

just my 2 cents
Go Jackets

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Yes, we should all send emails. Bombard the office with them. Things only get solved when there is money involved or you annoy someone enough to do it.

Might as well annoy them to get what the program needs.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Question: Does Barnes and Noble contract include support for GTAA special events or exclude GTAA from providing their own retail in support of their special events?

My guess would be the latter. In other words, B&N may not be contractually required to be set-up at a certain time or to support an overall good experience for the special event. Indeed, their contract is probably with Tech and not with GTAA so there may not be anything GTAA or AD could do about it directly. However, I wouldn't be surprised if their contract makes B&N the exclusive retailer of GT merch on campus. Catch-22.

just my 2 cents
Go Jackets

Which further proves the stupidity of tech by not electing to handle things themselves. They are so afraid to put money and spend money in the places it needs to be and they choose to let others do it for them who have half the passion they should.

I'm a firm believer if you have a product, dream, service, don't let anyone else run it. You can get advice but always be in control of what you're providing so you can execute decisions that need to be made.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer

just my 2 cents
Go Jackets
I agree. In this case, I think the fault lies with the bookstore and not with GTAA. GTAA can provide them with guidance and feedback, but this wasn’t a failure on their part.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Which further proves the stupidity of tech by not electing to handle things themselves. They are so afraid to put money and spend money in the places it needs to be and they choose to let others do it for them who have half the passion they should.

I'm a firm believer if you have a product, dream, service, don't let anyone else run it. You can get advice but always be in control of what you're providing so you can execute decisions that need to be made.

The difficulty (my guess) is that brick and mortar book stores are a real challenge from a business stand point. It's hard to compete with online sales. B&N College overcomes some of the challenges (I suspect) by having access to multiple campuses and maintaining low overhead thru the use of student workers and young (inexpensive) store managers. So, the major decisions like marketing and stocking may be made off-site while the local store manager is more responsible for interacting with the local faculty and supporting their course requirements.

In other words, the economics of running a GT-controlled book store may not make much sense compared to a B&N store, but the trade-off is that you may lose capability for handling special events.

The difficulty (my guess) is that brick and mortar book stores are a real challenge from a business stand point. It's hard to compete with online sales. B&N College overcomes some of the challenges (I suspect) by having access to multiple campuses and maintaining low overhead thru the use of student workers and young (inexpensive) store managers. So, the major decisions like marketing and stocking may be made off-site while the local store manager is more responsible for interacting with the local faculty and supporting their course requirements.

In other words, the economics of running a GT-controlled book store may not make much sense compared to a B&N store, but the trade-off is that you may lose capability for handling special events.
Whatever happened to the Engineers' Book Store? I think that was independently owned and operated, and if my memory serves me right, it was always cheaper to buy stuff there, and they generally had a better selection of non-academic stuff, including clothes than the "official" book store did when I was in school (pre-B&N).

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer

I guess I see a difference between game days (where you can have a lot of very casual fans looking for some entertainment) and a fan day event where you’re specifically there to meet/greet/get autographs from the team. If you’re not a hardcore fan, why are you there spending a day waiting in a bunch of lines to get autographs from people you don’t really care about? And conversely, if you’re a hardcore fan and really care, why would you let something as insignificant as long/inefficient checkout lines at a pop up shop turn you away from supporting the school/team? The attitude described in those fans reeks of entitlement and just makes no logical sense.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I guess I see a difference between game days (where you can have a lot of very casual fans looking for some entertainment) and a fan day event where you’re specifically there to meet/greet/get autographs from the team. If you’re not a hardcore fan, why are you there spending a day waiting in a bunch of lines to get autographs from people you don’t really care about? And conversely, if you’re a hardcore fan and really care, why would you let something as insignificant as long/inefficient checkout lines at a pop up shop turn you away from supporting the school/team? The attitude described in those fans reeks of entitlement and just makes no logical sense.

It's simple you expect someone to hold up a small part of their end. Wreckfest is only the shop. There is nothing really else. They had a carnival game this year, but other than that it's looking at the new gear and STH getting their 1st crack at Adidas gear with the 25% off. Kind of annoying when season ticket holders are let into the stadium before the shop even opens. It's simple if they want to make money to support the program? You run a smooth operation. You want to continue the route tech has taken the past 15-20 years? You do what they have done. I'd say they missed out on at least 7-12k in sales yesterday. Not only is that 7-12 in money. But also people out and about supporting your brand.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
Since I was one of the posters that complained about the lack of organization, the long lines, and the slow service at the bookstore trailer, I’ll respond to your post from my perspective. I agree with you. I didn’t let it spoil my experience at Fan Day, I won’t let it stop me from pulling for the Jackets, and I’ll still be going to all the home games and a few away games. I just won’t be doing it while wearing a shirt I bought from the bookstore. Their loss, not mine . I’ll just wear one of my older gold (probably the wrong shade) or navy (sorry, Supersize) shirts.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Since I was one of the posters that complained about the lack of organization, the long lines, and the slow service at the bookstore trailer, I’ll respond to your post from my perspective. I agree with you. I didn’t let it spoil my experience at Fan Day, I won’t let it stop me from pulling for the Jackets, and I’ll still be going to all the home games and a few away games. I just won’t be doing it while wearing a shirt I bought from the bookstore. Their loss, not mine . I’ll just wear one of my older gold (probably the wrong shade) or navy (sorry, Supersize) shirts.

Same for me. I just hate seeing a program I am passionate about, run in such an inefficient way. It angers me to see something I love not run at 110%.

GTMom

Ramblin' Wreck
How does a fan day roll call thread turn into a GTAA and GT Bookstore bashing? Geez
Well, I was at fan day and the line was definitely long, but I’m not going to spend the Barnes & Noble high prices anyway. Amazon works much better for my purchases anyway. Overall my fan day experience was totally positive so I have nothing to complain about.