Fan Day Experience

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Let me just say, first off, that the buzz and excitement surrounding this years event was triple that of last year. I went to get in the season ticket holders line at the same time as last year and had to go all the way up to Skiles to get at the back of the line. Last year it may have been 100 feet past the plaza. Peters park was absolutely full about an hour before the entry times. Last year there was tons of open spaces right up to the event. There was also just an air of electricity that wasn't present a year ago.

I had the pleasure of meeting DrJacket and the lovely Mrs. Dr Jacket about a half hour or so before heading to the field. As would be expected, the conversation and company was robust, to say the least. Soon after, Awbuzz showed up and joined in the fun as well. While waiting in the Kicker line, who did I run into but Buzzweiser and miniBuzzweiser. I looked for John, but describing yourself as wearing "a gold polo, blue shorts, and a camera" is about as useless as it gets in a crowd like that. He might as well have said "I'll be the guy lifting my leg at the fire hydrant in Athens". I'll have to catch him at a game later this year I guess.

My first priority was to go see Patrick Skov. The BB line wasn't as long as some others and I wanted to renew acquaintances. We chuckled a little and took a picture together to send to older brother Shayne. I sadly heard that his mom had passed away 2 years ago. I knew she wasn't well, but I hadn't heard that. My condolences to the Skov family. While in line, I met the rest of the backs and evidently heard that Marshall had quite the scrimmage this morning. The rest of the BBs were gloating about it. I can't wait to see the stats and report. Quaide is obviously tired of answering questions about his foot and he is ready, mentally at least, to get back at it.

I also spent a little time with Li'l Joe for the first time ever. What a blast. He was very popular to say the least.

I ran into Shamire's mom, who oddly enough I met last year at a scrimmage. She immediately asked me what I thought about her son's weight. I told her I wasn't sure because he was sitting down, but I also explained that I really wasn't worried about it so long as he could handle the workload. Obviously this is a sensitive issue with them now. Personally, I think Shamire seems happier and way more at ease mentally than last season. He appears confident to me.

A couple random observations:

Jabari doesn't even look like the same person. He has a beard now, but he is also huge. Or maybe I should say "uuuuuge". Quaide is a really big kid too. Moreso than I thought. Mikell Lands-Davis is as well.

I was telling Butker how I used the recorded radio call of "the kick" in my classroom the following Monday just to rub it in a little to the mutt fans in my classroom. One of the kids got so mad he stormed out of the room into the hallway and needed "a minute" to collect himself. Rodwell got a huge kick out of the story. Pardon the pun.

The kids all look really strong to me. There have been a lot of gains over the course of the offseason, pretty much to a man. This has to bode well.

It seemed to me that the players really enjoyed the crowds a lot. They are such good ambassadors for the program. I couldn't be more proud of them than I am. They were all genuine smiles and very personable. After a morning scrimmage on a hot day, that is a lot to ask. My friends, they are a cut above the rest of the CFB world. It is good to be a Yellow Jacket!

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
It seemed to me that the players really enjoyed the crowds a lot. They are such good ambassadors for the program. I couldn't be more proud of them than I am. They were all genuine smiles and very personable. After a morning scrimmage on a hot day, that is a lot to ask. My friends, they are a cut above the rest of the CFB world. It is good to be a Yellow Jacket!

Thanks Boomer. Awesome report. Thanks for sharing the buzz.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
i can attest to one thing

this team looks alot bigger, more mature, more D1A top talent in physique than I can remember since 2006. The looked the part. They look like a top flight D1 team.....

Damn I would not want to get hit by PJ Davis; kid is a tree trunk. If he is 220 I will turn in my degree. He has to be at least 235 now.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
What a fun day! Yes, we stepped out of Peters and there was @Boomergump and eventually @awbuzz. Enjoyed meeting and visiting with you both.

It was a scorcher, but folks seemed to be coping well. I couldn't get over the lines, nor could I have been happier to see the immense crowd. What a nice carry-over from last season. A reward for last year, and hopefully some motivating support for the new season. There were a ton of kids there. Families everywhere. Coaches and players alike were making their days nice, as they interacted happily. I think people had to go away feeling like they had been to something special.

We took a ton of pictures. I'm happy to post a few here, but only if you all want to see.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
I was impressed by how big a lot of freshmen are and how polite all the players are.

It was blazing hot out there and there was a great turnout.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Let me just say, first off, that the buzz and excitement surrounding this years event was triple that of last year. I went to get in the season ticket holders line at the same time as last year and had to go all the way up to Skiles to get at the back of the line. Last year it may have been 100 feet past the plaza. Peters park was absolutely full about an hour before the entry times. Last year there was tons of open spaces right up to the event. There was also just an air of electricity that wasn't present a year ago.

I had the pleasure of meeting DrJacket and the lovely Mrs. Dr Jacket about a half hour or so before heading to the field. As would be expected, the conversation and company was robust, to say the least. Soon after, Awbuzz showed up and joined in the fun as well. While waiting in the Kicker line, who did I run into but Buzzweiser and miniBuzzweiser. I looked for John, but describing yourself as wearing "a gold polo, blue shorts, and a camera" is about as useless as it gets in a crowd like that. He might as well have said "I'll be the guy lifting my leg at the fire hydrant in Athens". I'll have to catch him at a game later this year I guess.

My first priority was to go see Patrick Skov. The BB line wasn't as long as some others and I wanted to renew acquaintances. We chuckled a little and took a picture together to send to older brother Shayne. I sadly heard that his mom had passed away 2 years ago. I knew she wasn't well, but I hadn't heard that. My condolences to the Skov family. While in line, I met the rest of the backs and evidently heard that Marshall had quite the scrimmage this morning. The rest of the BBs were gloating about it. I can't wait to see the stats and report. Quaide is obviously tired of answering questions about his foot and he is ready, mentally at least, to get back at it.

I also spent a little time with Li'l Joe for the first time ever. What a blast. He was very popular to say the least.

I ran into Shamire's mom, who oddly enough I met last year at a scrimmage. She immediately asked me what I thought about her son's weight. I told her I wasn't sure because he was sitting down, but I also explained that I really wasn't worried about it so long as he could handle the workload. Obviously this is a sensitive issue with them now. Personally, I think Shamire seems happier and way more at ease mentally than last season. He appears confident to me.

A couple random observations:

Jabari doesn't even look like the same person. He has a beard now, but he is also huge. Or maybe I should say "uuuuuge". Quaide is a really big kid too. Moreso than I thought. Mikell Lands-Davis is as well.

I was telling Butker how I used the recorded radio call of "the kick" in my classroom the following Monday just to rub it in a little to the mutt fans in my classroom. One of the kids got so mad he stormed out of the room into the hallway and needed "a minute" to collect himself. Rodwell got a huge kick out of the story. Pardon the pun.

The kids all look really strong to me. There have been a lot of gains over the course of the offseason, pretty much to a man. This has to bode well.

Thanks for the report. 2cents, if you see Shamire's mom again, you should probably say something about 15 years from now. If he's struggling to hit weight now, those habits will take him young.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
What a fun day! Yes, we stepped out of Peters and there was @Boomergump and eventually @awbuzz. Enjoyed meeting and visiting with you both.

It was a scorcher, but folks seemed to be coping well. I couldn't get over the lines, nor could I have been happier to see the immense crowd. What a nice carry-over from last season. A reward for last year, and hopefully some motivating support for the new season. There were a ton of kids there. Families everywhere. Coaches and players alike were making their days nice, as they interacted happily. I think people had to go away feeling like they had been to something special.

We took a ton of pictures. I'm happy to post a few here, but only if you all want to see.
Please do!

AJC photos:
http://www.ajc.com/gallery/sports/college/georgia-tech-fan-media-day/gCWLK/#7871995

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
upload_2015-8-8_20-59-31.png
upload_2015-8-8_20-59-56.png
upload_2015-8-8_21-0-33.png