Fan attendance

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
I was in the upper deck west side. Couldn't see below us what did the stadium make up look like for GT fan attendance?

Looking across I could see the bottom center east side had GT fans but most of the rest looked red and black.

Also I notice there are an awful lot of Tech fans wearing navy, so some of that black could have been navy.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think anyone is afraid. However, being in the presence of some many drunk and obnoxious adults acting like teenagers is definitely not all that much fun. It greatly detracted from my experience at a well contested football game in a beautiful night setting on a glorious fall day. I understand that not ALL Uga fans are drunk and obnoxious but I didn't see the first one of them intervene or try to reign in their peers. I got the sense that they were accustomed to such behavior and therefore resigned or tolerant of it. Sadly the only GT fan is my immediate area was a sidewalk fan who attends with his young daughter who IS a GT fan. I felt sorry for him having a 11-13 year old girl in that environment.

As I mentioned elsewhere I can more fully understand the mindset of people now who don't attend this game. I would like for the GTAA to issue them a credit towards next years season tix rather than have them sell them to Uga fans. I think most GT fans who don't want to expose themselves to such an environment would be amenable to such. Interestingly enough, if we were to squeeze out the Uga fans it would therefore bring a lot of the Tech fans back (now that we are employing a genuine - in both sense of the word - HC again).
Well, that’s a sad state of affairs. I hate that those mouth breathers ruined your evening at Bobby Dodd. I can’t fault you for feeling the way that you do about the situation, and I’m sure you’re not alone in feeling that way. Unfortunately, it’s a catch 22. The more Tech fans that get run off by the riff raff, the worse the situation will get.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
When we sell about 22K season tickets there are 33K tickets available to the public. GT fans can do math
Apparently not all of them!

Thanksgiving is a tough weekend for me to make. Holiday weekend travel is nuts and driving is out of the question, we're 5 weeks from the end of our fiscal year and schedule pressures to deliver are thru the roof. It's obvious many do not understand how hard it is to find a GT fan to get their butt in a seat. I typically horsetrade my 4 mutt tickets to the couple next to me so his whole family can attend, he gives me a couple to a game where I need extras. When they don't want them, they go empty. I gave them to the military one year but ended up with the taliban in my damn seats.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I don't think anyone is afraid. However, being in the presence of some many drunk and obnoxious adults acting like teenagers is definitely not all that much fun. It greatly detracted from my experience at a well contested football game in a beautiful night setting on a glorious fall day. I understand that not ALL Uga fans are drunk and obnoxious but I didn't see the first one of them intervene or try to reign in their peers. I got the sense that they were accustomed to such behavior and therefore resigned or tolerant of it. Sadly the only GT fan is my immediate area was a sidewalk fan who attends with his young daughter who IS a GT fan. I felt sorry for him having a 11-13 year old girl in that environment.

As I mentioned elsewhere I can more fully understand the mindset of people now who don't attend this game. I would like for the GTAA to issue them a credit towards next years season tix rather than have them sell them to Uga fans. I think most GT fans who don't want to expose themselves to such an environment would be amenable to such. Interestingly enough, if we were to squeeze out the Uga fans it would therefore bring a lot of the Tech fans back (now that we are employing a genuine - in both sense of the word - HC again).
Teenagers is generous. I never gave my seats to a mutt fan.

Creative

Georgia Tech Fan
Get to about 45K and seats with backs. Would not affect season ticket numbers and could reduce the mutt fans.
I have been saying this for years. I went to one game this year. Living in Oregon, I took a family member to OR vs WSU and they have about 60K (not sure, but we can Google) and it’s packed. A great atmosphere and about the same nightmare getting in and out as BDS. I did make it to the UNC game this year and it was pretty good (not BDS obviously). Anyhow, CGO expansion was not the best long term play. Take it down to at least 50k and I think we’re in business. Our grads move all over, no sidewalk fans and some that stick around may not be the biggest football fans. Just my 13 cents.

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I think they should include stinger seats with a season tickets purchase. Also, since we're selling beer they need to add some restrooms.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
I was in the upper deck west side. Couldn't see below us what did the stadium make up look like for GT fan attendance?

Looking across I could see the bottom center east side had GT fans but most of the rest looked red and black.

Also I notice there are an awful lot of Tech fans wearing navy, so some of that black could have been navy.
Stadium looked like 60/40 split. Lower south was empty. Lower east was mostly red, upper east all red. Lower north was all gold, upper north mostly red. Lower west all gold, upper west split.

HouseDivided

Jolly Good Fellow
I was at the game & in the north stands, upper deck....My buddy and I were in a sea of red, though the ones around us were cordial. I'd say it was 70/30 possibly 80/20 Ugag fans there.

Most of our noise was from the student sections who showed out and piped in noise from the press box lol.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
We were in the lower west and it felt like a 60/40 split in our section leaning toward Tech. But looking at the upper North was mostly red.
The nice part of the game was we were making it competitive and staying in it so the Dwags did not build up too much (Compared to other games I have been at). I think they were looking forward to killing us and it did not happen

Pappa P

Georgia Tech Fan
One thing that will help with UGA game attendance is to call out the season ticket holders in your section who gave them to mutts. I know Ill have words with two groups in my section at the first game at BDS next year. Simply unexcusable. I travel over 600 miles for Tech games and I sure as hell don't need to listen to some mutt bark in my ear for three hours because a Tech "fan" wanted to make a few hundred dollars.
I couldn’t go due to holidays and family, but did NOT sell my ticket or give them to any mutts. I hate those two seats were empty, but better than having two more in red and black.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I was at the game & in the north stands, upper deck....My buddy and I were in a sea of red, though the ones around us were cordial. I'd say it was 70/30 possibly 80/20 Ugag fans there.

Most of our noise was from the student sections who showed out and piped in noise from the press box lol.
80/20 would suggest there were only ~10k Tech fans in attendance, which I find VERY hard to believe since we've had ~30k every other game this season.

Once the full game is posted on youtube I'll go pull some screengrabs, but the crowd shown on TV did not at all look like the claims of a "Sea of Red" being made in this thread.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
If you guys will look at some of the videos of scores on ESPN, you'll see a lot of lower east, on the north end. There some red, some yellow/gold, and a lot of dark. If you can, try to notice who jumps up when Milton scores. There's a lot of that dark that does not - more so than does by a long shot. I think there's a good bit of overestimating UGAg's crowd due to assigning our navy blue to UGAg black. Now most of the south end east stands are UGAg fans, but that's to be expected. The west is very heavy GT except corners, upper and lower.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
One thing to keep in mind, it was cold and most outer gear that is warm is black/navy. So it will be hard to tell for a lot of fans what their exact affiliation was.
My two heaviest coats are both navy. One of my lighter GT jackets is navy, the other gold. I have an assortment of gold, white, gray, and navy tee and polo shirts that I used to wear for day games in September and early October.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
One thing to keep in mind, it was cold and most outer gear that is warm is black/navy. So it will be hard to tell for a lot of fans what their exact affiliation was.
one thing I wanted to do was rep my beautiful gold GT sweatshirt so I forego my warm black winter coat Saturday. I am a complete idiot as I froze my a$$ off all evening.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Student section has been impressive all year. Honestly even better than most CPJ years.
This isn’t really surprising. As a student during the CPJ years the 3O reeaallly turned off a lot of the students. Even when we were good the students didn’t want to go to because of the offense. A lot of my teammates would tailgate before the games, and then go home to watch “real football.” I doubt that’s happening now.

I love Paul, and have a ton of respect for what he was able to accomplish at Tech, but his offense is also a reason we’ve struggled with sidewalk fans recently. Between 11 years of the 3O, and 4 years of being absolutely terrible, there’s a huge gap of time where Tech was not attractive at all for new fans. Especially when our in-state neighbors have replaced Alabama as the premier dynasty in the country.