Fall Camp Thread

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I don't see how MJ drops out of the top 2 for game 1, but if he does that means the other guys are really good. He won on the road in Blacksburg, that says a lot about him to me.

We should just put Shamire at BB and let Adams QB the first play of the game.
But he has to get back on field. It's hard if you can't practice . IMO he will still play but much like last year 3th or 4th short and inside the 10.

bmeGT

Jolly Good Fellow
"Do you have a 1 through 4 in mind?" CPJ: "No, I have a 1 to 1a and 1b."

I took that as it's still wide open race and no one is in the lead, while 1 is out of the race.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Practice No. 10: Monday, Aug. 14

THE FLATS -- Georgia Tech football returned to work on the practice field on Monday afternoon after an intrasquad scrimmage on Saturday and a day off on Sunday.

Practice Details:
On a hot and humid Atlanta afternoon, in which the heat index reached over 100, the Yellow Jackets returned to work in full pads after taking Sunday off. The practice went a total of 23 periods and lasted close to two and a half hours long in duration.

Plays of the Day:
In the 11-on-11 drills midway through the practice, junior quaterback TaQuon Marshall hit a streaking Qua Searcy in stride down the center of the field for a long touchdown pass that sailed some 30-yards in the air and over top of the defense.

However, the defense returned the favor in the 7-on-7 period, as senior nickel back Lawrence Austin beat a wide receiver to the ball on a slant pass over the middle to record an interception on the play.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
If you watch the ramblinwreck.com CPJ post-practice, you'll see some practice video interspersed.

Looks like Jay will be the starter, I saw 3 clips of him. That must mean something right?

Also I think CPJ is behind the clips they show. Not one time did I see any of the QB's playing with the 1's, now he's just playing mind games with us.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
Imo No. But. I have said this for 2 years now. He is in phase two of tech and he is a bit more focused in perspective of his career ending soon....paul is always 100 percent competitive
I'm going to agree with the "always 100 percent competitive" part. It's not possible for him to dial that up to a higher notch. It's always there.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
So, I read the pages of posts before I watched yesterday's presser.

I don't mean to be insulting. And, I know there's a little tongue-in-cheek going on here. But, if any of you watched that press conference and think you figured anything out about the QB race pecking order-- you need to watch it again. There's nothing there you can go on. The only takeaway I would get is that there's no takeaway.

Fun to speculate about, though.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
So, I read the pages of posts before I watched yesterday's presser.

I don't mean to be insulting. And, I know there's a little tongue-in-cheek going on here. But, if any of you watched that press conference and think you figured anything out about the QB race pecking order-- you need to watch it again. There's nothing there you can go on. The only takeaway I would get is that there's no takeaway.

Fun to speculate about, though.

Come on, DrJ! You dangled that tidbit yesterday that "you could tell a lot from the presser!"

Are you just messin with us? B/c it's working... And keep your morsels of info coming. ;)

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

Found it!!!

6:14

Ken: "With Matthew.... is getting the ball pitched...."

CPJ cuts him off in mid sentence: "No it's not an issue. I mean you can't pitch the ball if the other people around you aren't doing what they are supposed to be doing and you can't get to the pitch key."

There's a lot more after that but I didn't want to transcribe the whole thing. He hinted that MJ's doing it right and the others are not.

"I'm not worried about Matthew pitching the ball, when the read key tells him to pitch it, he'll pitch it."

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Something tells me CPJ is pulling a bait and switch on us. Giving us these sizzling takes on Jay Jones, but every time you see Lucas Johnson, he's running with the 1st team Offense. Coaches don't waste reps with the first team if guys aren't gonna play. If you think about how CPJ has handled young players in the past, guys who he knows need a bit more seasoning and who are probably a year or two away from playing usually get a lot of praise or encouragement. He's usually much more critical of guys who will taking snaps in games.

SlawDog

Banned

CPJ cuts him off in mid sentence: "No it's not an issue. I mean you can't pitch the ball if the other people around you aren't doing what they are supposed to be doing and you can't get to the pitch key."

There's a lot more after that but I didn't want to transcribe the whole thing. He hinted that MJ's doing it right and the others are not.

"I'm not worried about Matthew pitching the ball, when the read key tells him to pitch it, he'll pitch it."
Will this put an end to the hand wringing here regarding MJ's ability to pitch the ball?
*Hail No!

Lurkerjack

Georgia Tech Fan
I agree with Dr: we just don't know. Only cpj knows. It is fun to speculate though! Going into the scrimmage I was absolutely sure mj would be the starter. Even with all the "noise" of positive reports on the other guys. after the scrimmage I was pretty sure it was truly a wide open race. After the last presser (hate myself for reading anything into the total coach speak blah blah) I am back to being fairly certain it will be mj.

I really like all of them. It's a great problem to have.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

I agree that he said MJ is doing it right but I didn't hear a hint that the others aren't.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Something tells me CPJ is pulling a bait and switch on us. Giving us these sizzling takes on Jay Jones, but every time you see Lucas Johnson, he's running with the 1st team Offense. Coaches don't waste reps with the first team if guys aren't gonna play. If you think about how CPJ has handled young players in the past, guys who he knows need a bit more seasoning and who are probably a year or two away from playing usually get a lot of praise or encouragement. He's usually much more critical of guys who will taking snaps in games.
When have you seen Lucas running with the one? J/W.