Fall Camp Post Practice

MaconBacon IM88

Jolly Good Fellow
So I’ve read a lot about how far we have to go.

But my question is how far have we gone? What looked good. Y’all are over here crying like babies lol what looked GOOD?
there were alot of passing reps and imo many nice throws. It wasn't the sht show that I frankly expected. I think we have a good crop of skill players and need OL/DL to really gel and play up.

gt13

Ramblin' Wreck
I was at the practice today. Beforehand I was feeling slightly optimistic about how we are going to play this season, but today has definitely tempered my expectations.

First, the good:

1. Wide receivers. When catchable balls were thrown to them (more on this later) they made some really nice catches. Malachi Carter made a ridiculous catch down the sideline in coverage, Sanders' hands look really sticky, Ezzard looked really good too. I think this might be the most talent top to bottom we have had here in a looooong time at receiver. Really excited about this group.

2. Secondary. We have so much depth at DB. They were making plays all over the field, including lots of picks (heh....) This is going to be one of the better secondaries in the conference but unfortunately without a good pass rush we might not be able to benefit as much as we could (think 2015 when we had tons of DB talent but no pass rush).

3. Team culture and energy. The practices are pretty chaotic but its clear that everyone is out there competing and playing really hard. Players were getting pretty pissed when they made a bad play and really excited after a good one. They also were hyping up the crowd to make noise on 3rd down drill and they all acknowledged us afterward. I like this team's identity so far and it seems like they have a lot of fun and are working hard to get better.

Now, the bad.

1. I couldn't decide whether to put OL or QB play here, so I'll just say "passing game". My assessment of the passing game is that it is not good. At least it wasn't today. Our QBs (meaning everyone, not just Lucas or Graham - everyone) missed a LOT of open receivers. WRs can get open but the guys really can't hit them reliably. This is partially due to our OL not giving them much time. This results in a LOT of picks. The good news is there weren't many drops at all - the receivers can catch the ball if it's near them.

However, a caveat I WILL offer - the majority of the bad passes were earlier in the practice, particularly during periods where we were only running pass plays. This may have tipped the scales in favor of the defense since they know what kind of play they're going to get. Once we started running the actual offense against the defense (running and passing plays) the passing improved. The QBs may have also just needed to warm up and once they got going they were fine. Not great but most likely serviceable and something that's going to improve as season goes on. There's definitely some arm talent on the team.

Players who stood out, to me at least: Malachi Carter, Adonicas Sanders, BJS, Tariq, James Graham. Wanted to see Jamious play but I didn't see him get any touches.

Overall I think its gonna be a way bigger transition for our offense than our defense. Defense is likely going to be the "strength" of this years squad, from the looks of it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I was at the practice today. Beforehand I was feeling slightly optimistic about how we are going to play this season, but today has definitely tempered my expectations.

First, the good:

1. Wide receivers. When catchable balls were thrown to them (more on this later) they made some really nice catches. Malachi Carter made a ridiculous catch down the sideline in coverage, Sanders' hands look really sticky, Ezzard looked really good too. I think this might be the most talent top to bottom we have had here in a looooong time at receiver. Really excited about this group.

2. Secondary. We have so much depth at DB. They were making plays all over the field, including lots of picks (heh....) This is going to be one of the better secondaries in the conference but unfortunately without a good pass rush we might not be able to benefit as much as we could (think 2015 when we had tons of DB talent but no pass rush).

3. Team culture and energy. The practices are pretty chaotic but its clear that everyone is out there competing and playing really hard. Players were getting pretty pissed when they made a bad play and really excited after a good one. They also were hyping up the crowd to make noise on 3rd down drill and they all acknowledged us afterward. I like this team's identity so far and it seems like they have a lot of fun and are working hard to get better.

Now, the bad.

1. I couldn't decide whether to put OL or QB play here, so I'll just say "passing game". My assessment of the passing game is that it is not good. At least it wasn't today. Our QBs (meaning everyone, not just Lucas or Graham - everyone) missed a LOT of open receivers. WRs can get open but the guys really can't hit them reliably. This is partially due to our OL not giving them much time. This results in a LOT of picks. The good news is there weren't many drops at all - the receivers can catch the ball if it's near them.

However, a caveat I WILL offer - the majority of the bad passes were earlier in the practice, particularly during periods where we were only running pass plays. This may have tipped the scales in favor of the defense since they know what kind of play they're going to get. Once we started running the actual offense against the defense (running and passing plays) the passing improved. The QBs may have also just needed to warm up and once they got going they were fine. Not great but most likely serviceable and something that's going to improve as season goes on. There's definitely some arm talent on the team.

Players who stood out, to me at least: Malachi Carter, Adonicas Sanders, BJS, Tariq, James Graham. Wanted to see Jamious play but I didn't see him get any touches.

Overall I think its gonna be a way bigger transition for our offense than our defense. Defense is likely going to be the "strength" of this years squad, from the looks of it.

Well I wasn't there, 1200 miles away, but I would guess that the practice was geared for the fans. Ie I would bet we did not have a lot of running plays as those don't elicit a lot of fan response. I would expect us to be a 65% run team and 35% pass. Particularly in our first game. That is why I expect our staring QB to be able to read, run and pitc....and then pass. We also have way too many talented running backs to not use them.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I don't think thee's any reason to get concerned about our passing at this stage. The fall just got started. Besides, the players haven't tried anything against an opponent yet. I expect we'll be fine after the jitters get tamped down some.

But that's just me. We'll probably find that the passing is ok and something wee depended on (the DBs, for instance, will be the difficulty. That's always how it works.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
We were in shells; and yes i know the pants looked like a full uni. Almost nothing to discern. Especially on the lines. Guys pulled up many times to not hit full. All coaches are doing now is effort and assignments. If the assignments are missed its fixable. If a guy is getting whipped wait til they can really hit. Then see. But right now forget it. Imo.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, just damn. Here it is August 3rd, and the receivers and QB's don't have the timing down yet? Offensive line isn't a brick wall? Defense ahead of the offense? Probably gonna lose the opener on the road against the team that won two of the last three NC's? Can't ever remember that being the case with a Tech team before. Or any college team for that matter. Everybody knows that the only reason to practice in August is just to model the new unis. Of course I'm being sarcastic. Forgive me, folks, but did you really expect to see an offense hitting on all cylinders already?

Digging back into the memory file, it seems to me that Collins is maybe the second coming of Cremins. Lots of similarities. He's just not following somebody like DeWayne Morrison. There is talent, experience, and some success left for Collins to build on. What Collins can add to his team RIGHT NOW is chemistry, effort, and toughness - both physically and mentally. That sounds like what his practices are about. It took Ross and O'Leary two+ years to do that. Cremins did that in a year, and he started with much less than Collins.

Almost all of the ACC , SEC, and BIG10 would be 25+ point dogs to Clemson in Death Valley on August 29th. I just want to see Clemson physically assaulted. If they win, they win. But put their butts on the ground hard even when they're scoring. Conversely, I want to see our backs and receivers take the big licks and keep on striving. Set the tone for the rest of the year. Play hard and play as a team. I have seen Tech football players pull absolute miracles out of their butt several times - a couple of them at Clemson. Let's see what happens, and then move on to teams that didn't beat an undefeated Bama by 4 TD's last year.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Well I wasn't there, 1200 miles away, but I would guess that the practice was geared for the fans. Ie I would bet we did not have a lot of running plays as those don't elicit a lot of fan response. I would expect us to be a 65% run team and 35% pass. Particularly in our first game. That is why I expect our staring QB to be able to read, run and pitc....and then pass. We also have way too many talented running backs to not use them.

Agree. I heard in one of the long lines I was in that practice (closed) actually started at 9:00. Even though we were told that Gates to enter the stadium would be open at 9:30 we did not get in until 10:10. Apparently the "show" for the fans started at 10:00 but more not for the public practice happened earlier. Collins is always thinking, promoting, and scheming in my opinion, which I mean in a good way..

GTBandman

Jolly Good Fellow
Based on what I have seen between spring game and today i expect us to come up way short of the spread against Clem's son, but we will be pretty good overall. Not great, but good. No reason we won't end up with an average GT season of about 7-5, with a shot at winning the division. The cupboard isn't bare at all.

I do hope our QBs learn not to laser in on primary target. That caused a number of the picks. Need to look off the safeties - a problem for a long time. Clemson will have a half dozen picks if we stare the receivers down for real.

I liked the energy and especially the DBs being in the same zip code as the receivers at the snap. On the third down situations we were not giving a 10 yard cushion on 3rd and 5! This alone will make a difference of a game or two in my view as we don't just give easy first downs - especially end of half or game.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

First, the good:

Now, the bad.

Jamious made a great effort diving catch at one point which was probably in the top three of outstanding plays of the day. He did not as you say get much other action beyond that and the late TD pass to him in the right flat when he was not covered by the D..

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Agree 100% I get sick of hearing how bad this team will be this year. Did any of you who think we will be that bad have the balls to tell the coaches or players? Or are the ones who think we will be bad the same ones who don't buy season tickets.

I don't generally interact with coaches and players, and I do buy season tickets. I plan on being at most of the games and giving the others away to GT fans, as I always do. I don't think we'll be very successful this year at all. I can be a realist and a fan at the same time, they aren't mutually exclusive.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

The defense often controlled action. In one period, safeties Tariq Carpenter and Christian Campbell and linebacker Charlie Thomas came down with interceptions. Thomas’ was a leaping effort in the middle of the field off quarterback James Graham. The offense had some trouble with pass rush, as defenders such as linemen Antwan Owens, Jordan Domineck and Antonneous Clayton, linebacker David Curry and cornerback Tre Swilling had clean runs at the quarterback in various 11-on-11 periods.

Home Park Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Who looked good? In no particular order
1. J.Griffin (reminds me of Mark Ingram), 2. M. Carter, 3. A. Brown (fast as hell and quick as well) 4. Ezzard 5. Graham is athletic as hell but was not error free
It was really tough for me to judge the defense in shells. Although you can tell why Clayton is a 5* (he's thick) and Sims is a 4* (he's tall).

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
1. J.Griffin (reminds me of Mark Ingram), 2. M. Carter, 3. A. Brown (fast as hell and quick as well) 4. Ezzard 5. Graham is athletic as hell but was not error free
It was really tough for me to judge the defense in shells. Although you can tell why Clayton is a 5* (he's thick) and Sims is a 4* (he's tall).

This freshman class is looking good. From the pure freshmen group I would add Yates, D Knight, Z Owens, T Amerson, and D Ellison. TE D Deveney is likely another. I likely missed some WRs and DBs and I cannot yet tell anything about the OL and DL.
There are some walk-ons out there doing a good job as well such as C Lagod, A Nash, and J Blancato.

Home Park Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I meant to add Knight looks the part, nice interception. Add Lay to the walkon list of doing their job. First string offense line today was Quinney LT, Minihan LG, Lay C, Southers RG, Defoor RT.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I meant to add Knight looks the part, nice interception. Add Lay to the walkon list of doing their job. First string offense line today was Quinney LT, Minihan LG, Lay C, Southers RG, Defoor RT.
I'm surprised Cooper wasn't with the 1s. Did he practice today?

GTRhino24

GT Athlete

Agreed. A. Brown had me looking through the roster to figure out who he was. Great hands, great speed, and able to create separation. Ezzard stood out as well. Maybe it was posted somewhere but I didn’t see Camp at all. Tobias pulled up a little gimpy and got some medical attention late in the session. Hope he is okay.