Fall Camp Post Practice

slugboy

Staff member
From the Twitters

@Juanyehthomas1: Day 3 [emoji48][emoji1665]
#PerfectingOurCraft
#1Way1Yeh

@StrengthGT: Very Thankful for the way these guys work! Great Day!

@ksugiuraajc: From practice Friday: Tre Swilling gains intel from an official, Marco Coleman dispenses wisdom to Kendall Young, Antonneous Clayton and Kelton Dawson on the sidelines, Jeremiah Smith drills his pass drop.

Ken Sugiura has four photos, only one comes across in the post

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
6 notes from Georgia Tech’s third preseason practice

" In a one-on-one passing drill, among the standouts were receivers Ahmarean Brown and Malachi Carter and defensive backs Avery Showell, Devin Smith and Zamari Walton."

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...rd-preseason-practice/Te8tb9079t9lV4YIpLqwQJ/

Here’s my favorite part from this update:
“Oliver did take part in an 11-on-11 drill in which he made an option pitch to running back Dontae Smith, who gained the perimeter and ran down the sideline for a significant gain.”
We have only dual threat/running QBs...it would make zero sense to take all option plays off the table and try to turn our QBs into statues. I’m glad to see coach P-node is keeping some of these in the playbook.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Key question: as the offensive coordinator for Georgia Tech, can Patenaude match Ralph Friedgen’s record?

An interesting question, maybe, but hardly a “key” one, IMO, and one that’s fruitless to debate at this early date.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Very encouraged by what he says about team progress.

He clearly doesn't understand what CPJ was doing, though. His discussion of player-driven vs system was nonsense.

We went out and got tight ends. We had guys shift to tight end from other positions. Why? Because his system uses tight ends.

We immediately began teaching OL to play from 2pt rather than 3pt. Why? Because his system is based on that approach.

His player-based approach is adjusting within the system based on personnel. CPJ did the same thing.

His ignorance in this area is concerning.

I don’t think he was saying or implying anything at all about CPJ’s offense. He was just talking about his.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Imagine, if you will, we had the ability to time travel to 2030. People will still be fighting over CPJ and CGC.

*What A Time To Be Alive*

Yep. Yet another discussion that started innocently enough and devoted into comparisons with the previous coaching staff, offensive scheme, etc, etc. Maybe there should be two separate boards; Swarm 1 for those who want to compare everything this team or staff does to that of the previous regime, and Swarm 2 for those who just want to talk about the staff and team we have now.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Here’s my favorite part from this update:
“Oliver did take part in an 11-on-11 drill in which he made an option pitch to running back Dontae Smith, who gained the perimeter and ran down the sideline for a significant gain.”
We have only dual threat/running QBs...it would make zero sense to take all option plays off the table and try to turn our QBs into statues. I’m glad to see coach P-node is keeping some of these in the playbook.

Patenaude has been calling option plays his entire career. They’ll never go away.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think he was saying or implying anything at all about CPJ’s offense. He was just talking about his.

The question came at about 2:20, and his explicit ref to what we ran and how we recruited to it came at about 2:50.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I mean okay but that's basically a just a screen pass. Pretty basic.

um...no its not. the QB reads the playside OLB if he steps up to the hole its a pass to the post route if the OLB drops he hands it to chub on the power play. Neither are screen actions at all. A screen to a WR asks the OL to go downfield and tunnel, and one to the RB asks the rushers to get up field and the RB slips behind them. In both cases neither are run option, neither read the OLB and are just called plays. Not to be rude here, I am explaining, but RPO has nothing to do with a screen concept. Its a zone or power concept, blended with an option key and a quick passing game.

yes the read key is basic. Just like any option. Executing is not easy it hits fast and you have to be accurate.

As a note, this is a similar play we intercepted vs UGA to beat them IIRC a couple years back. We picked off a RPO in UGA's redzone in OT (Milton did it maybe?)

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
It’s not just the RPO. Patenaude has run tons of read option (and even triple) out of the gun. One season he was 75/25 run/pass due to injuries at Coastal. He had a guy break the NCAA record for consecutive games with a rushing touchdown. This ain’t mike leach.

TheWhiteKenyan

Jolly Good Fellow
Didn’t see Cottrell or Jalen Camp at the practice, TO left early with what looked like he wasn’t recovered from being sick. Jordan Yates was the only QB to not throw a pick.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
The question came at about 2:20, and his explicit ref to what we ran and how we recruited to it came at about 2:50.

I am still not sure what you are arguing. That we didn't recruit to our previous scheme? Hardly seems debateable. For example, since Collins took over, we have gone after both statuesque pocket passers and dual threat QBs. We didn't do that before. This isn't a judgment of good vs bad, but the philosophy is clearly different.

Last edited:

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
It’s not just the RPO. Patenaude has run tons of read option (and even triple) out of the gun. One season he was 75/25 run/pass due to injuries at Coastal. He had a guy break the NCAA record for consecutive games with a rushing touchdown. This ain’t mike leach.

This is why I thought it was smart to bring Patenaude along instead of hiring Godsey or someone similar. Patenaude's experience will make a smoother transition with our personnel.

slugboy

Staff member
@ksugiuraajc: Nice moment to end open practice. (After Demetrius Knight made a superlative interception on the final play)

@__BLACKwatch: .@AjaniK__ is on the boards!!! [emoji996]
@GeorgiaTechFB #GeTtheBALL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
My first impression of a practice under the new staff is it really is chaotic. They certainly get a lot of reps, but it seems like the opportunities to teach are limited. It seemed like the pace lead to some sloppiness, but I’m sure this approach has its advantages. Hopefully the chaos helps them focus in game situations and doesn’t lead to developing sloppy habits.

The players that stood out to me were some of the new receivers. Brown and Davis both looked great and there were a lot of nice catches made by a lot of guys, although the passing overall seemed pretty inconsistent. Offensive line looks like they have a lot of work to do before Clemson.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
My first impression of a practice under the new staff is it really is chaotic. They certainly get a lot of reps, but it seems like the opportunities to teach are limited. It seemed like the pace lead to some sloppiness, but I’m sure this approach has its advantages. Hopefully the chaos helps them focus in game situations and doesn’t lead to developing sloppy habits.

The players that stood out to me were some of the new receivers. Brown and Davis both looked great and there were a lot of nice catches made by a lot of guys, although the passing overall seemed pretty inconsistent. Offensive line looks like they have a lot of work to do before Clemson.
My friend who is there said Clemson is gonna eat our Offensive line up all night. He also said the D line looked small but I'm not surprised to hear that