Fall Camp News

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Well … in 2008 Tech was second in the Coastal with a 5-3 record. In 2018 Tech was - wait for it - second in the Coastal with a 5-3 record. We lost a bowl game lopsidedly both seasons. And we curb-stomped a major opponent (da U in 08, VT in 18) both years. The only difference came, really, in the UGAG game. But that's all some people look at. Btw, Paul is a legend.
Come on dude. I know you’re a CPJ guy, but 2008 and 2018 aren’t even remotely comparable

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
They are obviously comparable, he just compared them. There are certainly some differences, but plenty of similarities too.
I wasn't a huge PJ fan at the end due to restrictions I thought it put on recruiting and attracting sidewalk fans (by the way, I would take that in a heartbeat now). However the reality is GT was competitive in virtually every game except where the talent difference was substantial. Yes the defense struggled during his tenure. But the offense was amazingly consistent and with ball control kept us in most games. Flash forward to now. When you run offenses and defenses which are being run by a lot of FBS teams, you either need superior talent or the ability to coach up your roster. You can debate whether we have better recruiting/transfer today vs. under PJ but at best it is marginally better and middle of the pack ACC (and obviously far below Clemson, UGA and Notre Dame in the years we play them). So coaching becomes key. We have 7 new coaches and the hope has to be they are better at getting the best out of our young men vs. our previous staff.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
So Gibbs moved to a higher ranked program. Any other facts to support your view? What about the 4 stars we got from Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, Notre Dame.....

This board is such a negative place.

This is negative and it is real. Transfers hurt us as a feeder program. If we start winning all can be fixed. But if not, oh well. There are other sports.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
They are obviously comparable, he just compared them. There are certainly some differences, but plenty of similarities too.
I mean, not really. In 2008 we beat Mississippi State OOC, won @ Clemson, beat #16 FSU, #23 Miami, and in Athens against preseason #1 and #13 at the time Georgia. That’s 4 marquee wins, plus an OOC SEC win. A Peach Bowl appearance against defending national champion LSU.

2018 we lost an OOC game to South Florida, lost to Duke, got blown out against the only 2 ranked teams we played in Clemson and Georgia. The best win of the year was at home against a Miami team that finished 7-6. Got blown out in the Quicklane Bowl by 7-6 Minnesota.

Imagine comparing those 2 seasons because they had the same conference records. Not even remotely similar.

2018 was definitely better than the last 3 seasons. But let’s not create false history.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Please forgive me for mentioning coach Johnson.

I met him the day he took job. Clearly a genius football mind and leader of men. He won so quickly that he got no $ to keep up w other programs. He is not treated as a gt legend.
Some things didn't end well as he left w years left on contract and on short notice. Feeling should be smoothed over.

The change in blocking scheme in mid year 14 is pure genius. Same thing for the 18 Miami and Uva game.

When not if we welcome him back on campus, I will be there.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I mean, not really. In 2008 we beat Mississippi State OOC, won @ Clemson, beat #16 FSU, #23 Miami, and in Athens against preseason #1 and #13 at the time Georgia. That’s 4 marquee wins, plus an OOC SEC win. A Peach Bowl appearance against defending national champion LSU.

2018 we lost an OOC game to South Florida, lost to Duke, got blown out against the only 2 ranked teams we played in Clemson and Georgia. The best win of the year was at home against a Miami team that finished 7-6. Got blown out in the Quicklane Bowl by 7-6 Minnesota.

Imagine comparing those 2 seasons because they had the same conference records. Not even remotely similar.

2018 was definitely better than the last 3 seasons. But let’s not create false history.
Excellent, you've highlighted some of those differences I mentioned!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
In football, we are in the "feeder transfer" trap. Our best players will move up to higher ranked programs to feed their teams.

The new face of college sports. Love it or leave it. I have one foot out the door some days for college football, somedays two.

At least in baseball, we are a highly ranked program and get transfers in with more talent (better stats) than we lose.
Sounds like college football has turned into minor-league baseball.

MidtownJacket

Staff member

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
All this talk about Paul got me to watch the 2014 Tech - Georgia game again. And once again, I was cheering Zach Lasky. He tore them a new one in that game and was obviously having a great time doing it. The Dawg announcer said it best, "I've had about enough of Lasky." Not me. Having a guy who could run that tough on that field was a delight. Days too, of course, but Zach ruled that day.