Fall Camp News

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Hope this is the right thread for this.

ESPN has been visiting each ACC school to observe practice, interview coaches and do an all around feel good story on the upcoming season. This week was the visit to Ga Tech.

Interesting that the three hosts / interviewers at one point talked about “the greatest transition in the history of college football.” I cringed as they repeated the same stale talking points that turned off so many Tech fans. When they got to “250-260 lb offensive linemen” and asked CGC about the transition he didn’t bite. He handled himself like a gentleman, said he appreciates all his student athletes and proceeded to come about as close as I’ve heard to discussing Xs and Os as well as what certain transfers will bring.

I had the strong impression he’s learned something. Let other people toot your horn for you, let them explain your obstacles and challenges, while you sound like a coach with an actual strategy and plan. Bravo, Geoffrey!

Everyone acknowledged that the obvious metric for progress is winning but also said the team showing progress in losses, hanging tough and not laying down and quitting was important.

I know that these are mostly fluff PR pieces for the ACC but it was enjoyable and encouraging nonetheless.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I mean, not really. In 2008 we beat Mississippi State OOC, won @ Clemson, beat #16 FSU, #23 Miami, and in Athens against preseason #1 and #13 at the time Georgia. That’s 4 marquee wins, plus an OOC SEC win. A Peach Bowl appearance against defending national champion LSU.

2018 we lost an OOC game to South Florida, lost to Duke, got blown out against the only 2 ranked teams we played in Clemson and Georgia. The best win of the year was at home against a Miami team that finished 7-6. Got blown out in the Quicklane Bowl by 7-6 Minnesota.

Imagine comparing those 2 seasons because they had the same conference records. Not even remotely similar.

2018 was definitely better than the last 3 seasons. But let’s not create false history.
Well … except for the conference record and standings.

Look, I never said the two teams had equal overall records, but the 2018 team was better offensively then 2008 in every way. 2008: 372 in total offense, (74th), 273 yards per game rushing. 2018: 408 yards total offense (33rd), 325 yards per game rushing (2nd). D was a different story, in 08 we gave up 20 ppg, in 18 28. The 08 team had a pretty good D; 18 not so much. That showed up in the record. That and losing Benson in the second game.

But, like you say, I'd take the 2018 team in a New York minute today. If Paul was coaching, of course.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
There are some quick wits on this site. Sometimes I just sit back and admire.

amy poehler smiling GIF

Techster

Helluva Engineer
All this talk about Paul got me to watch the 2014 Tech - Georgia game again. And once again, I was cheering Zach Lasky. He tore them a new one in that game and was obviously having a great time doing it. The Dawg announcer said it best, "I've had about enough of Lasky." Not me. Having a guy who could run that tough on that field was a delight. Days too, of course, but Zach ruled that day.

That year was so fun. SO FUN. Ya'll realize we were 13 points away from being undefeated that year?! We had a shot to beat FSU in the ACCCG. That offense close to unstoppable the second half of the year. No superstars...just a bunch of really good players that came through CPJ's system and it all clicked at the right time. One of the most satisfying seasons as a GT fan.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Mason was a star player for us...he was not a "superstar". There was no Calvin Johnson, Joe Hamilton, Demaryius Thomas, Jonathan Dwyer marquee level player on that offense. No offense to Shaq, who is one of the best OLs in GT history and one of the best OGs in the NFL, but OLs are never marquee level stars. JeT and Smelter were probably the closest...and Darren Waller would eventually become a star in the NFL at TE, but he was in and out of the lineup all year for various reasons.

2014 offense was the sum of its parts...and in a way, the offense itself was the "superstar" of the show.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Mason was a star player for us...he was not a "superstar". There was no Calvin Johnson, Joe Hamilton, Demaryius Thomas, Jonathan Dwyer marquee level player on that offense. No offense to Shaq, who is one of the best OLs in GT history and one of the best OGs in the NFL, but OLs are never marquee level stars. JeT and Smelter were probably the closest...and Darren Waller would eventually become a star in the NFL at TE, but he was in and out of the lineup all year for various reasons.

2014 offense was the sum of its parts...and in a way, the offense itself was the "superstar" of the show.

2014 First Team All-American. Just because he didn't throw or catch a ball, or sack a QB, doesn't mean he wasn't a superstar.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
2014 First Team All-American. Just because he didn't throw or catch a ball, or sack a QB, doesn't mean he wasn't a superstar.

Like I said, he was a star player, he's just not a "superstar". There's a difference between a marquee level player (and yes, that means the guys who throw, catch, run the ball) and guys who are good players but don't get top billing. Unfortunately, vast majority of fans and media don't tune in to watch an OL maul a defensive lineman, and OLs certainly will not get top "superstar" billing. How many linemen make it to the Heisman stage even though there are OLs and DLs that are vastly better than some of the skill guys that make it to the Heisman ceremony.