Fake defensive injuries

forensicbuzz

21st Century Throwback Dad
I think I finally see your point. In your view, violation of tax law and faking an injury are both cheating although the latter does not currently involve a penalty. The difference is the penalty.

Maybe it’s just semantics, but one could easily argue that if it's within the rules, it's not cheating. Unethical (subjective) perhaps, but not cheating.
But it’s not within the rules to fake an injury. There are at least 2 flags that could be thrown for fake injuries (unsportsmanlike conduct and delay of game). There’s just no way for the officials to separate the cheating from the legitimate injury right now. That doesn’t make it a legal action.

forensicbuzz

21st Century Throwback Dad
I have seen a team on defense deliberately take their time substituting while the ref has his hand on the ball to stop play, but the play clock is running. The team on offense has so little play clock left that they have to burn a timeout. Within the rules, apparently.
I’ve never seen that happen. I’ve never heard of that happening.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
It is fairly routine if the offense makes a substitution with about 15 seconds on the play clock. I have seen it many times in both College Football and the NFL. It is legal and teams use the rules to their advantage. Good coaching in my opinion!

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
They played soccer as kids????
SMH. I try to be serious and I get this stuff.
Laugh GIF

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Simple - you play to win the game within the rules. A life lesson everyone should learn as soon as possible. This is not a beauty contest. It is a very physical game where players are asked to go full out and hit other players as hard as they can. The plays ae legal. There is not cheating involved!

Any Alumni that would rather lose playing "polite" football is not helping GT athletics which are already at a disadvantage to most of our opponents!
Our fanbase, especially the older ones, ARE the reason GT went from a top 10 all time program to an afterthought. They were fat and happy and when the times changed GT did not and our fans accepted it and came up with a huge list of whining excuses we hear every week. Our fans have spent decades throwing out meaningless tropes about academics/doing it the right way.

The right way is to win the freaking game you are participating in. No one says we shouldn’t steal professors from MIT yet a school like UGA wins games and we act like they are the great Satan. We are the losers for not paying players the last 40 years. The most positive thing I’ve seen this season from the GT football program is that either our coaches or our players FINALLY played to win the game and using the fake injury concept to do it. We won with 15 seconds left. If we didn’t fake it we would have been in OT or lost in regulation.

JBatt and Key finally realized that meaningless phrases turns us into a G5 team. But playing the game of today, and not what we wish the game were today, is how you stay in the mix.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
It happens every week. Watch UGA. Kirby uses this rule a lot. When the offense subs in the middle of the play clock he has his DLinemen gingerly jog off while the subs do the same. Meanwhile the ref stands over the ball while the QB freaks out. It’s pretty awesome but it’s the offenses fault for not getting their play or set in fast enough.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Our fanbase, especially the older ones, ARE the reason GT went from a top 10 all time program to an afterthought. They were fat and happy and when the times changed GT did not and our fans accepted it and came up with a huge list of whining excuses we hear every week. Our fans have spent decades throwing out meaningless tropes about academics/doing it the right way.

The right way is to win the freaking game you are participating in. No one says we shouldn’t steal professors from MIT yet a school like UGA wins games and we act like they are the great Satan. We are the losers for not paying players the last 40 years. The most positive thing I’ve seen this season from the GT football program is that either our coaches or our players FINALLY played to win the game and using the fake injury concept to do it. We won with 15 seconds left. If we didn’t fake it we would have been in OT or lost in regulation.
Win!

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Its pretty ridiculous to demand that the NCAA explicitly ban every conceivable act of unsportsmanlike conduct. Pausing the game when an athlete is injured doesn't need clarification to exclude fake injuries. You've been pretty clear in your position that if anyone gets away with an unsportsmanlike practice, we should do it too, and take no responsibility for our own behavior because if we do something embarrassing and don't get punished then the issue is with the rules. I understand your position and I disagree.
The rules specifically say that the officials cannot attempt to determine if an injury was real or fake. So by the rules, it is not unsportsmanlike conduct. It can't even be investigated to see if it was unsportsmanlike conduct. I understand your desire for the rules to say that it is unsportsmanlike, and that it can be investigated and enforced. The current rules do not do that.

The rules are bad. They need to be fixed. There have been a few suggestions in this thread on how to fix them. Such as not allowing an injured player to re-enter the game until the next possession. That would actually do several things. It would greatly reduce fake injuries. It would also enforce more rest for players who actually were injured.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
It is fairly routine if the offense makes a substitution with about 15 seconds on the play clock. I have seen it many times in both College Football and the NFL. It is legal and teams use the rules to their advantage. Good coaching in my opinion!
When I've seen it, I thought it should fall into the category of unfair tactics and result in an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty like some other exploits, but it apparently is allowed by the rule book.
This brings up the larger point, that if everyone associated with the sport - players, coaches, refs, NCAA leadership (oxymoron there), etc who can influence the rule book doesn't think it rises to the level of unsportsmanlike conduct, who are we to say that it does?

I've played video games where many exploits existed that could give you an advantage that the game developers did not intend. It is expected that you make use of these exploits for best results, especially if you are struggling otherwise. Then there are those that outright cheat using third-party programs, etc. There is a distinct difference between the exploiters and the cheaters.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Integrity. Character. Sportsmanship. Ethics. … ‘89 alum here, and I was embarrassed of our team. Reflects poorly on our university. “Just because others do it” is a lame argument - and reflects poorly on those making this excuse. Ask yourself what it teaches the players about life and how to conduct themselves. What example are we setting for the students (and all other fans) that witness this? We are supposed to be developing leaders, right? We are better than this, or we should be…. All alums should call on the administration to FIX IT!

Alright, Jimmy Stewart. You may live in a Frank Capra movie, but most of us live in the real world.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
So for the people here that are in favor of faking injuries as much as possible to give us every advantage possible, are you also ok with trying to injure players on the other team? Plenty of teams and players have been accused of this over the years and labeled as bush league for doing it, but if within the rules, you can essentially take out one of the other teams best players and potentially only lose a fairly meaningless player on your own team then why not do it?