Fake defensive injuries

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
So for the people here that are in favor of faking injuries as much as possible to give us every advantage possible, are you also ok with trying to injure players on the other team? Plenty of teams and players have been accused of this over the years and labeled as bush league for doing it, but if within the rules, you can essentially take out one of the other teams best players and potentially only lose a fairly meaningless player on your own team then why not do it?
I hate to break this to you but every player on Defense on every football team that gets a chance is trying to get a kill-shot on the QB and get them out of the game

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
First of all, hell of a finish to an amazing game to get to a 5-2 start.

However, I am so embarrassed to see Tech defensive players coordinating which one of them should fake an injury in this UNC game, on UNC's last scoring drive.

They did it multiple times. I am appalled. This is not "whatever it takes to win," it is cowardly, unsportsmanlike, and max cringe.

If the other team did it, I'd be up in arms, and I'm even more upset that we would do it.

As a proud double jacket alum and multi decade fan, I cannot endorse this brand of football. If I see them do this crap again, I will be incredibly disappointed.
I do not like it either, there need to be changes made. Lane Kiffin is the number 1 abuser.

forensicbuzz

21st Century Throwback Dad
I thought I answered that. It is not OK to try to intentionally injure players. (As long as our definition of "injure" is the same.) Teams and defensive linemen want to get to the QB early in the game so that he is thinking about hits and is sore later in the game. They don't want to cause broken bones or ligaments. This is nowhere close to feigning injuries. Intentionally injuring a player is against the rules. Not only against the rules, it could be prosecuted as assault and battery. It is against the law.

We are not as far apart as you seem to think we are. Feigning injuries is not good. It is not good for the sport. It is within the rules. In my opinion, the angst is misplaced. Saban was railing on Gameday on Saturday against Kiffin, even though I don't think he mentioned them specifically. I think that is the reason that this is even being discussed. If people would concentrate on changing the rules, then things will improve. If people continue to complain about GT, or about Kiffin, and say that no matter what the rules say -blah-blah-blah, then nothing will change. GT might unilaterally disadvantage themselves, but that will not improve the college game. Change the rule, and that will improve the college game.
It is NOT within the rules. There's just no way for a ref to differentiate between a fake injury and a legitimate injury, so they don't throw the flag. That doesn't mean that it's not against the rules to fake an injury.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
It is NOT within the rules. There's just no way for a ref to differentiate between a fake injury and a legitimate injury, so they don't throw the flag. That doesn't mean that it's not against the rules to fake an injury.
Source (show me the rule)? I am not saying you are wrong, but just want confirmation since so many on here are saying it is within the rules.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I learned this in my career 100 years ago: if you have a rule you can't or won't enforce, get rid of it or change. Having rules and then ignoring them is a sure fire recipe for disaster in my experience. It's like a cancer that spreads to other areas.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
What penalty would they call if they did throw a flag? They are specifically restricted from deciding if an injury is real or not. The refs don't decide to not throw the flag, they are not allowed to throw a flag. There is no rule infraction that a ref can legally call.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
What penalty would they call if they did throw a flag? They are specifically restricted from deciding if an injury is real or not. The refs don't decide to not throw the flag, they are not allowed to throw a flag. There is no rule infraction that a ref can legally call.
Delay of game.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I learned this in my career 100 years ago: if you have a rule you can't or won't enforce, get rid of it or change. Having rules and then ignoring them is a sure fire recipe for disaster in my experience. It's like a cancer that spreads to other areas.
That is my reason for being a rule/law and order person. You want laws and rules to say exactly what they are intended to say. You want people to obey the rules/laws exactly as written. If you don't do that, then rules/laws are spongy things that mean whatever the people following and enforcing want them to be.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Faking an injury is deceitful, cowardly, and appalling. We should just ban all faking and deceit from the game of football. Oh wait, we can't do that because faking and deceit are an integral part of the game.

forensicbuzz

21st Century Throwback Dad
Illegal Delay of the Game ARTICLE 2. a. The officials shall make the ball ready for play consistently throughout the game. The play clock will start its count-down from either 40 seconds or 25 seconds, by rule depending on circumstances. A foul for illegal delay occurs if the play clock is at :00 before the ball is put in play (Rule 3-2-4). b. Illegal delay also includes: 1. Deliberately advancing the ball after it is dead. 2. When a team has expended its three timeouts and commits a Rule 9-2-2-f infraction. 3. When a team is not ready to play after an intermission between periods, after a score, after a radio/television/team timeout or anytime the referee orders the ball put in play (A.R. 3-4-2-I). 4. Defensive verbal tactics that disconcert offensive signals (Rule 7-1-5-a5). 5. Defensive actions designed to cause a false start (Rule 7-1-5-a-4). 6. Putting the ball in play before it is ready for play (Rule 4-1-4). 7. Sideline interference (Rule 9-2-5). 8. Action clearly designed to delay the officials from making the ball ready for play (A.R. 3-4-2-II).

Edit: There is no rule prohibiting the officials from deciding whether an injury is real or not. Although they're not going to make that judgment, they clearly could.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
The rule book says that injured players are given full protection under the rules. It also says that when in doubt the officials must give that player protection. There is no mechanism in game to punish someone for a fake injury.

Even if there was, the officials would not want to. A guy with a hurting ankle, who jumps up and can run suddenly might cause such a flag. The next week, there could be an x-ray of the players ankle with a loose fragment that could sometimes get trapped in the joint and the work it's way free. It should not be up to the officials to determine if a player is injured. A much better way to help control this is to restrict the player from entering the game for more than one play.

Starting this year, teams can report suspected fake injuries for review. Not during game, that is after the game. The wording is very vague, and no actual punishments are listed.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
The rule book says that injured players are given full protection under the rules. It also says that when in doubt the officials must give that player protection. There is no mechanism in game to punish someone for a fake injury.

Even if there was, the officials would not want to. A guy with a hurting ankle, who jumps up and can run suddenly might cause such a flag. The next week, there could be an x-ray of the players ankle with a loose fragment that could sometimes get trapped in the joint and the work it's way free. It should not be up to the officials to determine if a player is injured. A much better way to help control this is to restrict the player from entering the game for more than one play.

Starting this year, teams can report suspected fake injuries for review. Not during game, that is after the game. The wording is very vague, and no actual punishments are listed.
OK. I would agree that an official cannot make a judgement about the veracity of an injury, and that is why it’s not called.

However, theoretically, of they could, then a delay of game could be called.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Illegal Delay of the Game ARTICLE 2. a. The officials shall make the ball ready for play consistently throughout the game. The play clock will start its count-down from either 40 seconds or 25 seconds, by rule depending on circumstances. A foul for illegal delay occurs if the play clock is at :00 before the ball is put in play (Rule 3-2-4). b. Illegal delay also includes: 1. Deliberately advancing the ball after it is dead. 2. When a team has expended its three timeouts and commits a Rule 9-2-2-f infraction. 3. When a team is not ready to play after an intermission between periods, after a score, after a radio/television/team timeout or anytime the referee orders the ball put in play (A.R. 3-4-2-I). 4. Defensive verbal tactics that disconcert offensive signals (Rule 7-1-5-a5). 5. Defensive actions designed to cause a false start (Rule 7-1-5-a-4). 6. Putting the ball in play before it is ready for play (Rule 4-1-4). 7. Sideline interference (Rule 9-2-5). 8. Action clearly designed to delay the officials from making the ball ready for play (A.R. 3-4-2-II).
The officials are told in the rule book to protect the player if there is any question about an injury. Also, by the wording, fake injuries do not "delay the officials from making the ball ready for play". That rule is for not allowing the ball to be retrieved, or interfering with the placement of the ball. That rule is not written as a penalty for anything that delays the game. There are 8 things specifically called out in that list, and fake injury is not one of them.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
The officials are told in the rule book to protect the player if there is any question about an injury. Also, by the wording, fake injuries do not "delay the officials from making the ball ready for play". That rule is for not allowing the ball to be retrieved, or interfering with the placement of the ball. That rule is not written as a penalty for anything that delays the game. There are 8 things specifically called out in that list, and fake injury is not one of them.
I would say #8 would fit the “crime.”

8. Action clearly designed to delay the officials from making the ball ready for play (A.R. 3-4-2-II).

I’m not arguing it further since it is a purely hypothetical case.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
OK. I would agree that an official cannot make a judgement about the veracity of an injury, and that is why it’s not called.

However, theoretically, of they could, then a delay of game could be called.
IF they change the rule, they can make it anything they want. Currently, it is not up to the officials. I don't think it will be after they change the rule. They do need to change the rule, and hopefully they will for the 2025 season. UNC used this tactic against GT on Saturday. Teams will continue to use this tactic until the rule is changed.

At least Key didn't go onto the field and shove Criswell.