Expectations?

Jmonty71

Banned
Do you have any certain expectations, going into the new season? I really can't say what to and what not to expect. My guess is, we'll struggle. My guess is, the defense will be better. My guess is, the offense will struggle. I can guess....But, not really confident enough to lay down an expectation.

I would guess that this will be a 3-4 win season. But, not sure if I would say I would expect that.

Does anyone have any certain expectations or criteria that they are looking for, this season?

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I'm looking for improvement.

I think we are severely undervaluing the amount of effort these kids are putting in for Collins that they didn't put in for Johnson. Say every player is at 100% effort right now, I'd dare to say they were at max 70-75% under johnson.

Collins is finding ways to make these kids enjoy their experience of learning and getting stronger.

It should be alarming that the amount of guys who can rep 225 on the bench has gone up so significantly. To me that screams Johnson was doing a disservice to the team.

Do I think we beat Clemson? No. Do I think we can keep it within 21? Without a doubt in my mind.

Do I think this team can win 6-7 games? Again, without a doubt in my mind.

I view their progress in 6 months under Collins is more than any player developed under Johnson. At least physically. Academically is one thing, but we are talking football. All of a sudden we went from looking like a bunch of string beans to a true D1 factory program. Our guys actually look bigger now. Across the board rather than the occasional dude. Our whole team is bulked up.

Sorry to rant. But man... I'm tired of hearing of rebuilding. I truly believe this is a plus. Our players are actually playing to their skill sets. No one ran the TO in high school. Switching to a modified offense won't be that difficult for skill. Oline is the only issue I see. But Brent Key as a coach automatically makes these players better.

I'll even say I think the oline finishes top 5 in the conference

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer

I think we are severely undervaluing the amount of effort these kids are putting in for Collins that they didn't put in for Johnson. Say every player is at 100% effort right now, I'd dare to say they were at max 70-75% under johnson.

Collins is finding ways to make these kids enjoy their experience of learning and getting stronger.

It should be alarming that the amount of guys who can rep 225 on the bench has gone up so significantly. To me that screams Johnson was doing a disservice to the team.

Do I think we beat Clemson? No. Do I think we can keep it within 21? Without a doubt in my mind.

I view their progress in 6 months under Collins is more than any player developed under Johnson. At least physically. Academically is one thing, but we are talking football. All of a sudden we went from looking like a bunch of string beans to a true D1 factory program. Our guys actually look bigger now. Across the board rather than the occasional dude. Our whole team is bulked up.

Sorry to rant. But man... I'm tired of hearing of rebuilding. I truly believe this is a plus. Our players are actually playing to their skill sets. No one ran the TO in high school. Switching to a modified offense won't be that difficult for skill. Oline is the only issue I see. But Brent Key as a coach automatically makes these players better.

Once again, it is possible to be excited about the new direction while not denigrating the old regime.

To claim that the entire team was only putting in 70% effort for CPJ is laughable. We got more out of the talent we had than any team in the country. That doesn't happen when kids aren't bought in and giving 100%.

Two different coaching styles. They can both work. The old one did. The jury's out on the new one.

I believe we can win the way the program is going now. I also believe it will take a LOT more talent.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I've said this before, but I'm expecting 7 wins. However, I believe that we can win anywhere from 4-9 games this year. I just expect improvement from week to week.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Once again, it is possible to be excited about the new direction while not denigrating the old regime.

To claim that the entire team was only putting in 70% effort for CPJ is laughable. We got more out of the talent we had than any team in the country. That doesn't happen when kids aren't bought in and giving 100%.

Two different coaching styles. They can both work. The old one did. The jury's out on the new one.

I believe we can win the way the program is going now. I also believe it will take a LOT more talent.

I think Johnsons scheme got more out of the players. I think now with this coaching regime these players will progress and talent will increase. Take the same guys from 2014 -2018 and give it to Collins I bet he has minimum 12 guys in the first 5 rounds of the draft.

Johnson didn't progress players. It's simple. They effort looks crazy different now

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I think Johnsons scheme got more out of the players. I think now with this coaching regime these players will progress and talent will increase. Take the same guys from 2014 -2018 and give it to Collins I bet he has minimum 12 guys in the first 5 rounds of the draft.

Johnson didn't progress players. It's simple. They effort looks crazy different now

I guess we just disagree on measures of success. I'm a GT football fan. I like to see GT football win games. I don't care how many draft picks we have. CPJ won more games at GT than most could have. I hope CGC does the same. I think he can. But he'll have to in order for me to be glad we are making a change. Draft picks won't convince me he's better.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck

Couldn't agree more. I think a switch back to a non-option offense will actually benefit the OL for the exact reasons you list above. I also think we have capable QBs and WRs to take advantage of that.
In short, our temporary demise that some predict is exaggerated, I believe.

Do you have any certain expectations, going into the new season? I really can't say what to and what not to expect. My guess is, we'll struggle. My guess is, the defense will be better. My guess is, the offense will struggle. I can guess....But, not really confident enough to lay down an expectation.

I would guess that this will be a 3-4 win season. But, not sure if I would say I would expect that.

Does anyone have any certain expectations or criteria that they are looking for, this season?
Welcome back from the world of wherever you've been, but you sure do have low expectations. I say we have 7 wins minimum.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
I expect the record to be bad, something like 3-9, maybe a game better or worse. If you guaranteed me 6-6 right now I’d grab it with two hands and not let go.

I’m more interested in how we play, though. I’ve long said that I can handle being beaten by better players. That happens. What I find frustrating beyond belief is having equal or better players and having them look disorganized or unprepared.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I expect the record to be bad, something like 3-9, maybe a game better or worse. If you guaranteed me 6-6 right now I’d grab it with two hands and not let go.

I’m more interested in how we play, though. I’ve long said that I can handle being beaten by better players. That happens. What I find frustrating beyond belief is having equal or better players and having them look disorganized or unprepared.

If we get beaten by better players then we lose maybe 2-5 games

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I, honestly, have no idea what to expect record wise. Like almost every team injuries will have great influence over that.

Therefore, I expect -

60 minutes of hair on fire effort,

A team ready to play when TML and not giving up TD drives to so many opponents on their first possessions,

Solid S/T play that is not an afterthought,

New emphasis on D with better fundamentals,

No where near the accepted “missed assignments” from the OL as so often recently.

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
I have no idea what to expect this year. I believe CPJ’s players ( almost the entire team) have been hard-nosed, blue collar types and with a few exceptions they never stopped fighting, regardless of the score. I also believe we have some talents on this team that will be better able to shine given a new approach on both sides of the ball. Along with some of our talented new recruits, maybe we’ll have a great year. Or maybe our issues in the trenches will continue and the talent of some of our skill guys won’t matter. Nothing between 4 and 9 wins would surprise me much. I do know my experience as a Tech fan hasn’t changed much in the past 20+ years. Under CPJ we had more highs and lows, but overall not much difference between the actual results of the last 3 regimes. Wins vs the mutts largely determine which seasons are remembered as the good ones. My hope is that Todd Stansbury has us on the right track for the current staff to be able to achieve consistent success in the next few years and moving forward.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
All this stuff about how the players have gotten bigger and stronger is true. All this stuff about how Paul didn't develop them is horse-picky.

The spread option needed, as I've said before here, lean, mean, fighting machines on the OL. The blocking scheme required more mobility and speed then a shotgun does, especially for downfield blocks (hence the "missed assignments" laments). It was a real challenge to get the kind of blocking we wanted with really big guys . We went big once in 2013-14 with good success, but even those lines would be considered small in comparison to, say, Ugag. Sooooooo … the development program focused on speed and endurance. We had some really big guys - Shamire - but even they got replaced in some circumstances - Parker over Shamire - when the need arose. The results of this speak for themselves.

Now we need a different kind of OL and we are getting them; the old OL simply got bigger since the need for speed and flexibility has decreased. Different styles of blocking -≥ different requirements/training for the OL.

I think we'll do just about as well this year as last, but I'm not expecting more then 6 wins. We'll look like chickens with our heads cut off for the first couplee of games.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
All this stuff about how the players have gotten bigger and stronger is true. All this stuff about how Paul didn't develop them is horse-picky.

The spread option needed, as I've said before here, lean, mean, fighting machines on the OL. The blocking scheme required more mobility and speed then a shotgun does, especially for downfield blocks (hence the "missed assignments" laments). It was a real challenge to get the kind of blocking we wanted with really big guys . We went big once in 2013-14 with good success, but even those lines would be considered small in comparison to, say, Ugag. Sooooooo … the development program focused on speed and endurance. We had some really big guys - Shamire - but even they got replaced in some circumstances - Parker over Shamire - when the need arose. The results of this speak for themselves.

Now we need a different kind of OL and we are getting them; the old OL simply got bigger since the need for speed and flexibility has decreased. Different styles of blocking -≥ different requirements/training for the OL.

I think we'll do just about as well this year as last, but I'm not expecting more then 6 wins. We'll look like chickens with our heads cut off for the first couplee of games.

Not just speaking of the oline. The whole team as a whole. Our corners and linebackers were just not nearly as strong or developed.

Collins and crew are running laps around Johnson in that department. These guys will be NFL built and ready by next year. Where before most of our guys would of been a project to build the size.

To make a point. Searcy would be 200lbs under Collins and staff. That's my belief.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
We could win anywhere between 4 and 8 depending on how fast guys pick things up in the new systems. Our schedule is frontloaded with winnable games outside of Clemson, so if we stumble out of the gate, it could be a bad year. We havent been dramatically out-recruited by the likes of Pitt, UVA or Duke, though. Most of our conference games will be tossups, as usual.

I am looking forward to the return of the forward pass and some solid defensive coaching, regardless of record.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer

Talent doesn’t increase imo. You can learn better techniques to take advantage of the talent you have.