Expectations on this year and next

Jmonty71

Banned
From looking at comments. I think it's safe to say, everyone expects this team to get better and possibly turn out a few more wins. With that said, does that lay down the expectation of returning to a bowl, next year? Or is there an expectation of a bowl, this year? Just curious on what the overall thoughts are. I still think we are 3 years away from worrying about bowls, but I often get called a pessimist too.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I said preseason this year was 3-4 wins. I think we can still win 3. Citadel unfortunately left a worse taste in the mouths of many but the team is improving.

Next year who knows. Too much remains to predict. Do we get OL transfers? Who ends up signing and who enrolls early? Late injuries that remove a player all next year? Too much unknown that could make the team win anywhere from only 4 to 7. I think .500 ball is probably a decent target. But who knows. The lines still are so void that doesnt cure in one year unless we land a legit transfer (almost no chance)

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I said preseason this year was 3-4 wins. I think we can still win 3. Citadel unfortunately left a worse taste in the mouths of many but the team is improving.

Next year who knows. Too much remains to predict. Do we get OL transfers? Who ends up signing and who enrolls early? Late injuries that remove a player all next year? Too much unknown that could make the team win anywhere from only 4 to 7. I think .500 ball is probably a decent target. But who knows. The lines still are so void that doesnt cure in one year unless we land a legit transfer (almost no chance)
We are improving, we may win 2 more this year. I would hope for 6-6 next year.

Deleted member 2897

10 of our opponents next year were ranked last year. And the 2 that weren’t are North Carolina (who is a lot better now) and Gardner Webb.

Clemson, @Georgia, Notre Dame, UCF, @Syracuse, etc etc

I don’t even know what I’d predict next year. Even if we had won 8 this year 6 would be tough next year.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
At his point other than Clemson I have no idea what to predict what any team we play will be. Georgia is beginning to fade, ND is tough but I don't know the Status of the QB. Syracuse has slid back in a major way. UCF has fallen. It all depends on what we are next year.

This! Until you see what is coming back on those teams or who is replacing who I don't see how you can tell what kind of team they will be. Honestly, the biggest change from this year till next will be GT. I expect us to look like a completely different team.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
10 of our opponents next year were ranked last year. And the 2 that weren’t are North Carolina (who is a lot better now) and Gardner Webb.

Clemson, @Georgia, Notre Dame, UCF, @Syracuse, etc etc

I don’t even know what I’d predict next year. Even if we had won 8 this year 6 would be tough next year.
Not saying we don't have a tough schedule next year but I don't think it is as rough as people think.

We always have Clemson and ugag, which will likely be our 2 toughest teams for the foreseeable future.

The biggest downside is swapping Temple for Notre Dame. That being said, Notre Dame is a hit or miss team so it just depends on who shows up that game (on both sidelines).

We are swapping out USF for UCF. Last year I would have said this is a much tougher match up but this year's UCF is not the UCF of the last 2 years. I think it will be a slightly tougher match up but not much.

Hopefully we don't pull a Citadel next year with Gardner Webb but that change is a wash.

Finally, our rotating crossover is going from NCSt to Syracuse both are terrible teams this year so that is a wash and if anything is a better match up.

So based on the performance of the teams so far this year (which really means nothing) I say there is only a 1 game difference between the strength of schedule this year vs next year. I am sure we will still have some issues that we are working through next year but just seeing the progress this year I have hope that we will be a MUCH better team.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I still think we are 3 years away from worrying about bowls, but I often get called a pessimist too.

I agree and have come to find that I like the process as much as I do the bottom line. In other words, if a team shows continuous improvement throughout the year I am generally satisfied regardless of the overall record* and spend the offseason in an optimistic frame of mind.. OTOH, if you start strong and sputter with say losing 3 iar or 4 out of the last 5, then a bowl game is somewhat meh and the bloom is off the rose. Looking back at the Ross era, that is what happened....just steady progress right up until the 90 season. The preceding year was almost as much fun as the kids and coaches started tasting the fruits of their labor.

* one caveat - I can stomach the bad seasons when your starters are mostly FR and SO. It is disturbing to go 5-6 with a roster full of upperclassmen.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
We return most of our skill positions and secondary. The rotation of players CGC employs should theoretically lessen the dropoff after losing guys each year. And we add in a highly regarded pass rush threat, WR, and LB/DB who all have college experience along with a new recruiting class which includes a handful of EEs. Not to mention any other transfers (which we will be hungry after on OL/TE/DL) who get immediate eligibility.

I think the expectations next year are a bowl game. Regardless of schedule. The transfer portal really affects the timeline of a rebuild.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The biggest thing I’m looking for is week-to-week improvement. If we win one more game this year, I’d say that’s meeting my expectations. If we win two or more games in the remaining schedule, that exceeds my expectations.

For next year, I want to see a competent offense, defense, and special teams. We will still be transitioning, but I’d really like to see us not get blown out by Coastal teams given our improvements this season, our transfers becoming eligible, and (hopefully) some good recruits coming in. As far as W/L, I’m setting my expectations for next year at 5 wins. Getting to a bowl game would be a great sign of improvement.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
well i like the miami win, I have been saying we are improving for over 3 weeks now and debated many of you on here. But I am also realistic. Tough remaining schedule with teams starting to play well. If we win 1 more, and just 1 more, that would not shock me. If we win 2 more, that would be a surprise...for me at least. The fact is, the team still has glaring holes; and finding 2 wins is a challenge.

As far as next year, to me, with that schedule, and considering our glaring holes take time to fill (OL specifically); unless some great transfers, its hard for me to envision being much more than around .500.

that could be 5-7. or 7-5. But I just think for what geoff wants to do the roster on O is not there yet to consistently do it. Is 6-6 the expectation??? I guess, that could be. I certainly wouldn't say 8-4 is.

Deleted member 2897

Not saying we don't have a tough schedule next year but I don't think it is as rough as people think.

We always have Clemson and ugag, which will likely be our 2 toughest teams for the foreseeable future.

The biggest downside is swapping Temple for Notre Dame. That being said, Notre Dame is a hit or miss team so it just depends on who shows up that game (on both sidelines).

We are swapping out USF for UCF. Last year I would have said this is a much tougher match up but this year's UCF is not the UCF of the last 2 years. I think it will be a slightly tougher match up but not much.

Hopefully we don't pull a Citadel next year with Gardner Webb but that change is a wash.

Finally, our rotating crossover is going from NCSt to Syracuse both are terrible teams this year so that is a wash and if anything is a better match up.

So based on the performance of the teams so far this year (which really means nothing) I say there is only a 1 game difference between the strength of schedule this year vs next year. I am sure we will still have some issues that we are working through next year but just seeing the progress this year I have hope that we will be a MUCH better team.

I mean UCF is 5-2 and 17-3 over the last 2 years, while USF is 3-4 and 10-10 over the last 2 years. UCF lost by 1 point @Pittsburgh and 3 points @Cincinnati.

I mean, we might have about 2-3 teams tops that we play next year that are not bowl teams.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
From looking at comments. I think it's safe to say, everyone expects this team to get better and possibly turn out a few more wins. With that said, does that lay down the expectation of returning to a bowl, next year? Or is there an expectation of a bowl, this year? Just curious on what the overall thoughts are. I still think we are 3 years away from worrying about bowls, but I often get called a pessimist too.
Are you asking about expectations now, or expectations at the beginning of the year?

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm trying not to have expectations for a record. Winning is fun, losing sucks. But we have a new staff engaged in program building.

Personally, if we played 12 teams that are better and we played our best; clean and hard, and just flat got beat. It wouldn't be fun, but I'd be ok - Clemson.

If we lose to teams we could beat by being stupid and sloppy, I'll be unhappy. (Citadel)

jackets55

Jolly Good Fellow
Anything can happen on any given Saturday, but realistically, our ceiling for this year is 4. I would expect us to win 1 more of either VT or NC State.
Next year's expectation are a crap shoot. My guess would be 5-7. If Vegas sets it at 5.5, I would take the over thinking we might stumble into an extra win.
This year's ACC had a lot of teams looking for QBs. VA, Pitt, & NC found theirs. I would expect those teams to improve next year as well.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
No bowl this year, but we keep getting better. Watch for a huge upset next Saturday against Pitt, but that will be our peak. That Citadel game really hurt us. I think we will have one more bad loss, probably UVA. If Florida beats Georgia next weekend, we still won't beat them, but it will be closer than most people think. Something is going on with Georgia. All of those 5 star guys don't look that great. If we can beat Pitt, then I think we can beat NCST, but that's it. I can't predict next year. I think we will be better and the goal should be a minor bowl game.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
To win 7 games next year we will need 2 solid OL and DT transfers. 75% of our personnel issues are in the trenches. I think Graham has a chance to be a really good college QB, and we have some quality skill players, and a solid secondary. I think we will pullout 1 more win this year, maybe 2 if we can beat Pitt and NCST, but no bowl this year. Needed to beat Temple and Citadel for that. Next year I expect 6-6, then a chance to be pretty good in 2021

Sebastian GT

Jolly Good Fellow
I hope we have one more win this year but have expectations that we lose out. The oline play is horrendous and dline weak as well. There is only so much scheming that can be done to hide that. The main thing I want to see is effort and attitude. As for next year I expect more of the same because we'll probably have to start at least 2 true freshmen on the oline and several others will be in the two deep. The dline might improve but the schedule is tougher next year. 3-4 wins and be competitive in most all the games would be my best case scenario of expectations for 2020. We can't turn the corner until we fix the lines of scrimmage. Unfortunately that takes a lot of time.