Expectations for the 2021 season

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
We had 2 ACC wins in 2019. We had 3 ACC wins in 2020. We did not regress against the conference in the off season. We will have a minimum of 3 ACC wins and a maximum of 5. That is my opinion. If you believe the conference improved more than Tech, please tell me why.

LibertyTurns

Banned
We had 2 ACC wins in 2019. We had 3 ACC wins in 2020. We did not regress against the conference in the off season. We will have a minimum of 3 ACC wins and a maximum of 5. That is my opinion. If you believe the conference improved more than Tech, please tell me why.
Exactly. We won’t lose to KSU or Northern. 4 wins means we only win 2 ACC games, 5 wins means we have 3 ACC wins. Unless you’re thinking the unthinkable and we’re only going to beat 1 ACC team between Dook, VT, da u, uVa, Pitt, BC, uNC. That’s 1-6 plus losses to Clemp and the Domers. With the talent we have I just can‘t see that happening.

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
Exactly. We won’t lose to KSU or Northern. 4 wins means we only win 2 ACC games, 5 wins means we have 3 ACC wins. Unless you’re thinking the unthinkable and we’re only going to beat 1 ACC team between Dook, VT, da u, uVa, Pitt, BC, uNC. That’s 1-6 plus losses to Clemp and the Domers. With the talent we have I just can‘t see that happening.
Dook, pitt, and either vt or uva are who I see us beating the rest is not imposssible but would be nice.

Jolly Good Fellow
AB, I think we win 5 based upon offensive talent alone......to win 7, our defense must make quantum leap forward.... and stop somebody occasionally..... GT success will be determined by how well (or how poorly) our defense plays....... as it always is for us.....

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
AB, I think we win 5 based upon offensive talent alone......to win 7, our defense must make quantum leap forward.... and stop somebody occasionally..... GT success will be determined by how well (or how poorly) our defense plays....... as it always is for us.....
I think our defense will show some modest improvement. If we get that, as well as not being one of the most heavily penalized teams in the nation, our offense will get us those seven wins.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
I think our defense will show some modest improvement. If we get that, as well as not being one of the most heavily penalized teams in the nation, our offense will get us those seven wins.
I think even if you take away any development or transfer additions going into this year, we improve on defense just based on getting injured guys back. We played without Chimedza, Yondjouen, Clayton (part of the year), and others. Getting that depth and increased rotation back, I think we can be a lot better this year. Add in the transfers of Harris, White, Eley, Watson, and others, we will look very different in a good way this year.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Watching the Pitt game last year is one reason but I cannot see us losing to Duke this year they are in bad shape. The question is can this team scratch another win out of Pitt, BC, Virginia Tech, UVA,? I remain skeptical and hold to my early prediction of 4 wins.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Watching the Pitt game last year is one reason but I cannot see us losing to Duke this year they are in bad shape. The question is can this team scratch another win out of Pitt, BC, Virginia Tech, UVA,? I remain skeptical and hold to my early prediction of 4 wins.
You mean the game we played on 4 days rest while Pitt had 2 weeks to rest. The game we played without Gibbs, while Sims was hit in the back and concussed, causing the Miami game to be cancelled. Do you realize that Pitts defense lost both DEs?

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
You mean the game we played on 4 days rest while Pitt had 2 weeks to rest. The game we played without Gibbs, while Sims was hit in the back and concussed, causing the Miami game to be cancelled. Do you realize that Pitts defense lost both DEs?
One of those DEs didn't even play against us. They have a star safety who opted out before the game as well. On top of that their team had already opted out of its bowl game. It was a strange game and time all around. I'm not sure much about that game predicts next year. I think its a tough game on the schedule though. They get a patsy and a G5 team the two weeks before us. We play Clemson and UNC.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
One of those DEs didn't even play against us. They have a star safety who opted out before the game as well. On top of that their team had already opted out of its bowl game. It was a strange game and time all around. I'm not sure much about that game predicts next year. I think its a tough game on the schedule though. They get a patsy and a G5 team the two weeks before us. We play Clemson and UNC.
Good the level of competition will have the team focused

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Anyone who played Tech sans Gibbs has no idea about the Tech offense.

Jolly Good Fellow
"...not being one of the most heavily penalized teams in the nation..."
Amen to this.... There are teams/programs that can overcome net minus 30 yds per game in penalty-related field position.
GT is not one of those teams.
Penalties, especially personal fouls, are a direct reflection upon coaching. You get the behavior you tolerate. Even Pepper did not put up with 15 yd PFs.......

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Very true but we allowed both Pitt and BC which had mediocre running games to run all over us. I am more than willing to eat crow but until then I am from Missouri...show me. The proof they say is in the pudding. College Football News just put out its preseason All ACC team. By team representation:

Clemson had 6 on defense while UVA, Virginia Tech, NC State, Pitt, and Louisville all had just one
Boston College had 4 on offense (!) while Clemson and NC State had 2. FSU, Wake Forest, and Virginia Tech each had one.

Meaningfully or perhaps not, Duke, Tech, and Syracuse did not place a single player on either team.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Very true but we allowed both Pitt and BC which had mediocre running games to run all over us. I am more than willing to eat crow but until then I am from Missouri...show me. The proof they say is in the pudding. College Football News just put out its preseason All ACC team. By team representation:

Clemson had 6 on defense while UVA, Virginia Tech, NC State, Pitt, and Louisville all had just one
Boston College had 4 on offense (!) while Clemson and NC State had 2. FSU, Wake Forest, and Virginia Tech each had one.

Meaningfully or perhaps not, Duke, Tech, and Syracuse did not place a single player on either team.
Our best DT and DE are healthy for the first time in 10 months.

Ok, so we think we have the first 2 won. Should but KSU worries me. As for the ACC. Well let's just put it out there. Cutcliff is a much better coach. Coaching beats all. Same with UVA and Pitt. Va Tech crushed us the last time we played them. Clemson, UGA ND, losses. Mack Brown and his staff are heads and tails better than ours. BC slobber knocked us last year. Miami may be a 10 win team this year.

We will be favored in 2 maybe 3 games. CDP has no idea what he is doing and our discipline as a team is weak.

I have had the opportunity to spend time with some current and past high school coaches over the last 3 weeks. Their opinion of our current staff. Undisciplined. just saying what they told me.

GT_EE78

Banned
well sure but if you listened to the pre-spring game presser CGC said ."We have high level players in the elite rooms and we have elite players in the high level rooms and everybody bought into the culture. Everybody bought into the culture.Everybody bought into the culture and we're not gonna commit self-inflicted destruction during the presnap period because everybody bought into the culture" " What other coach has ever tried to turn jumping offsides into a branding opportunity?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Ok, so we think we have the first 2 won. Should but KSU worries me. As for the ACC. Well let's just put it out there. Cutcliff is a much better coach. Coaching beats all. Same with UVA and Pitt. Va Tech crushed us the last time we played them. Clemson, UGA ND, losses. Mack Brown and his staff are heads and tails better than ours. BC slobber knocked us last year. Miami may be a 10 win team this year.

We will be favored in 2 maybe 3 games. CDP has no idea what he is doing and our discipline as a team is weak.

I have had the opportunity to spend time with some current and past high school coaches over the last 3 weeks. Their opinion of our current staff. Undisciplined. just saying what they told me.
Just curious, do you mind saying anymore about these coaches? I understand if you can’t share more. Many of us have to keep a certain anonymity on here to protect professional relationships. But, I would be curious about how many coaches said this and/or their approximate geographical location and/or the size programs they were in and/or if they sent kids to play for any programs. Again, don’t feel put on the spot but anything else you can share would be of interest.

This would make at least the fourth Tech head coach that high school coaches have “said some things about” and I am starting to get really curious about this after having thought in the past this was not a big issue.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Gee, and I thought that sort of thing went out with Coach Johnson. We play Clemson and UNC while they play two patsies? Figures. I don't think they are all that great but their coach seems to hate us for some reason. Miami, Pitt, BC, Duke, UVA and Virginia Tech, there ought to be a couple of wins in there somewhere because among UNC, UGA, Notre Dame, and Clemson the likelihood is four losses. IIWII

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Just to improve on last year we need to win 5. I see us being better than last year.

Here's my rationale: we won 3 games last year, with 1 game being cancelled, one game with us seriously handicapped, and 1 game with 3 weeks off but not 3 weeks of practice). We dropped one game last year that was essentially a guaranteed win. I see last year's team as a 4-5 win team (Gardner Webb and I'm not conceding the Miami game that was cancelled).

So, here's my take...we're better than we were last year. All of our young guys have more experience and we've added key pieces through transfers. I am not knocking any of our guys from last year that aren't here this year, but other than punter, we've probably improved at every position. That isn't necessarily true for all the teams on our schedule. I will be shocked if this team doesn't win 6 games. We were playing much better towards the end of the season than we were at the beginning and that was with true freshmen all over the field.

I still will not concede a single loss, but I can easily reconcile in my preseason, gold-colored, ever-optimistic mind an 8 or 9 win season with a decent bowl. We're starting so low that we'll never reach the ranked (unless we start like 6-1 or something), but I think this year will fold nicely into next year when we play for the National Championship. Bobby Ross showed us how to do it in 4 years, so I don't see why we can't (maybe it will be 5 years, but no more than that! ;) ).