Expectations for the 2021 season

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I’ve never understood the NFL argument used to negate what happens in college. In my lifetime I’ve seen All Americans, All Conference, Heisman Trophy winners and National Champions who never made it in the NFL.
They didn't fit the cookie cutter. They were just football players. It takes a special front office type to think outside "group think".

LibertyTurns

Banned
Liberty, you aren't setting the bar very high if he is going to be Curry. Curry didn't even achieve the 7 game average...but I did like 1985.
I hated Curry albeit he did navigate thru some historically pretty crappy times and have the disbenefit of probably having the worst program rebuild ever, worse than Ross or O’Leary.

The over under for CGC this year is 5-7. You add that to his 6-16 start & he’s 11-23 which is roughly the Mendoza line for college coaches. He’s going to have to average 8-5 for 9 straight years to get to Gailey/Johnson territory. Now that would be some serious coaching right there. If there was ever a time to rip off that kind of streak would be right about now given most of the ACC programs are as weak as they’ve ever been except for Clemp. The ACC basically has 1 Top 25 team & 1 other will get ranked in the Top 25 by virtue of being the best of the other 13 weak sisters.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Oh...ok..what it should show Tech fans, as history proves. We are a team with a fine line between 3 wins, 7 wins, and 10 wins. Good coaching gets us 7. Good coaching a some breaks gives us 10. I will leave the 3 wins as simply...inexperienced coaching. Sort of like Bill Lewis.
I agree that the jury is still out on Geoff's coaching ability, but any comparison to Bill Lewis is quite premature. CGC just didn't have the horses in seasons one and two. We'll see what happens in year three with some maturing thoroughbreds now in the stable.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not judging W/L record until year 4. Collins deserves the opportunity to get the roster upgraded and balanced (some TE and not 39 running backs and OL that block instead of dive on the ground and trip people). Year 2 is a total pass because of Covid-19.

The talent is being upgraded. The schedule is also ridiculous in 2021 so while I expect significant improvement it may not necessarily show up in the W/L record. I think 2022 and beyond could be a stretch of really good football though

I'm not judging W/L record until year 4. Collins deserves the opportunity to get the roster upgraded and balanced (some TE and not 39 running backs and OL that block instead of dive on the ground and trip people). Year 2 is a total pass because of Covid-19.

The talent is being upgraded. The schedule is also ridiculous in 2021 so while I expect significant improvement it may not necessarily show up in the W/L record. I think 2022 and beyond could be a stretch of really good football though
"39 running backs and OL that block instead of dive on the ground and trip people"

See it is this kind of comment that attacks the CPJ staff and shows you know very little about football. Ask some of CPJs lineman if his blocking schemes were more complex than what we do now. I know a few and they will tell you zone blocking is easy compared to what they had to learn.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
"39 running backs and OL that block instead of dive on the ground and trip people"

See it is this kind of comment that attacks the CPJ staff and shows you know very little about football. Ask some of CPJs lineman if his blocking schemes were more complex than what we do now. I know a few and they will tell you zone blocking is easy compared to what they had to learn.
You're 0-25 in this thread this weekend alone. You wouldn't get those kind of comments if you didn't get butt-hurt every time someone mentions the rebuild that was necessary after CPJ retired.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
On and on so much that you can't even spell half their names correctly while cherry picking a handful of guys?

1624229761076.png

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I think historically (at least recent history) Tech has shown to be a 5-7 win team with whatever hindrances we've had to endure (bad coaching, bad breaks, high academic standards, injuries, etc.). I think good coaching and breaks gets us to 9-11 wins (as you say). The rare 3-win or fewer seasons have generally been during transitions or when the team fell apart from horrible coaching (2015 is an anomaly). I think we are building towards that 7-win plateau with this version of revamping and if the coaching shows to be as good on game-day as they are on the recruiting trail, I expect we'll be in the 9-11 wins more often than not. Only time will tell. BL is the 0-1 win coach, not the 3 win coach.

This. Sure it sucks to have only won 6 games in two years, but it was predicted and expected we would struggle during the transition. We may well struggle for another year or so, but we will be winning again sooner rather than later.

WrongShadeOfGold

Jolly Good Fellow
I guess you didn't like beating Georgia or going to Orange bowls...Did you ever play the game or coach it. Not really sure you are even a Tech fan. There 1-0.
I loved CPJ but if you think he was ever beating Georgia or Clemson again, you are delusional. That gap had widened so much over his last 2 years.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I loved CPJ but if you think he was ever beating Georgia or Clemson again, you are delusional. That gap had widened so much over his last 2 years.
Really we’ve beaten them 2 of the last 6 times. It’s not like we could never beat them or can never, ever beat them again. Yeah we’ve made it more difficult to beat them, but 3 of the last 5 coaches have figured out how to do it. It won’t be long until their current idiot starts destroying their program by always losing the big one & becomes reckless with his recruiting. That coupled with fielding a somewhat competitive team with a decent game plan is all it takes. You keep the game close and wait for them to play like the morons they are. Half the time they’ll give you a shot. We don’t have to be Top 10, somewhere in the the Top 40 is enough to whip them 25% of the time.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
So if we look at the ACC, you are correct and not correct. Since 2005 here are the teams and number of ACCCGs
Clemson 8
Va Tech 6
FSU 5
GT 4
BC 2

and a bunch of 1's
Clemson certainly has put players in the NFL as FSU, but who puts the most....Miami. And Va Tech BC and us are not exactly NFL factories.
Now the SEC....sure. But they are the exception.
So you have a great point....but again if you are banking on GT getting a bunch of NFL players.....well I wouldn't make book on it. In fact you can say that the Gailey years probably produced our most NFL players and we were a 7 win team.
Please do your homework. BC has had 32 players drafted since 2005 with 7 in the first round. The correlation between the best college football teams and number of players drafted is striking. Google is your friend.

Please do your homework. BC has had 32 players drafted since 2005 with 7 in the first round. The correlation between the best college football teams and number of players drafted is striking. Google is your friend.
So BC has had 2 players per year drafted....uh huh. Real NFL factory there. And the last time they were in the ACCCG...... 2008.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
So BC has had 2 players per year drafted....uh huh. Real NFL factory there. And the last time they were in the ACCCG...... 2008.
When Matt Ryan was their QB. Not sure if you've heard but he made it to the NFL and has done pretty well. And they lost to VT led by Tyrod Taylor who's also gone on to start in the NFL. You don't necessarily need a roster stacked with potential NFL talent but you need some at key positions

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

Firstly, I agree. CPJ blocking schemes for the OL were probably as complicated as any in college football. He needed a specific skill set in addition to smarts to accomplish that. What CGC wants to do doesn't require the same athleticism but does require much more size. CPJ always said he recruited the big guys that could do what he wanted but had a hard time getting those top linemen on campus. Part of that was that cut blocking was a much larger percentage of blocking calls than most other offenses, including NFL offenses. So, those top linemen with people whispering in their ears were never coming to GT. Paul did the best he could with what he had, which was pretty damn good.

Secondly, that wasn't an attack against the CPJ's staff. It was hyperbole characterizing what the previous staff did. There was a significantly higher percentage of cut blocking in CPJ's OL schemes than CGC's schemes. Simplistically, the goal of cut blocking attempts to get the hands and eyes down so the play gets by the defender before they can react. CPJ moved away from certain types of cut blocking as they changed the rules on him. Whether you like the characterization or not, it's the perception of what we had.

You defending CPJ every time someone says something contrary isn't necessary. He did have a ton of RB in the program. A quick peak at the numbers...these numbers include walk-ons, so take that for what it's worth.

2018: 19 RB for 3 positions; 23 OL for 5 positions; and 11 WR for 2 positions
2022: 8 RB for 1-2 positions; 23 OL for 5 positions; and 22 WR/TE for 3-4 positions

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I hated Curry albeit he did navigate thru some historically pretty crappy times and have the disbenefit of probably having the worst program rebuild ever, worse than Ross or O’Leary.

The over under for CGC this year is 5-7. You add that to his 6-16 start & he’s 11-23 which is roughly the Mendoza line for college coaches. He’s going to have to average 8-5 for 9 straight years to get to Gailey/Johnson territory. Now that would be some serious coaching right there. If there was ever a time to rip off that kind of streak would be right about now given most of the ACC programs are as weak as they’ve ever been except for Clemp. The ACC basically has 1 Top 25 team & 1 other will get ranked in the Top 25 by virtue of being the best of the other 13 weak sisters.
Curry had the worst rebuild and it is not even close. He came to Tech when facilities were generally regarded as the absolute worst in Division One. He had to deal with an indifferent and often hostile administration and faculty. Relations with alumni and fundraising were at a low point. What Homer Rice, Curry and Ross accomplished is little short of miraculous. That is not to diminish the challenges that other coaches faced as the Institute was and remains a hard place to build a winning program. Going all the way back to the end of the Dodd era different coaches had their ups and downs. Certainly, Carson, Fulcher, and Rogers were handicapped by poor facilities and daunting academic restrictions. Coach Collins faces challenges as well but he does not have anywhere near the hill to climb as those guys did.