Expectations for the 2021 season

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Taking the blame means he didn't prepare the team properly or coached it properly. That doesn't mean he overlooked them. Big difference.
I don't want to get into a debate about the differences between overlooking a team to not preparing or coaching a team well. I want him to show me and probably many other fans that he can coach a Power 5 team that doesn't get embarrassed, be it by Clemson or Citadel.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I just want to beat Kennesaw. They are well coached and have an identity. If we beat them that bodes well for the future. But in no way should we be looking past them. They have that game circled and gave all the ingredients to win that game.
KSU is not going to roll over and play dead against us. So if Collins overlooks KSU like we did against the Citadel, then we hired the wrong guy. Its time to stop dancing and declaring this is the biggest make-over in the history of college football. Show me that you're a real head football coach. (Sorry for the rant).
If we lose to Kennesaw or Northern then CGC needs to pack his bags. We’re playing Kennesaw St, not K St as in Kansas St. Many teams could have an off week against a practice game team and come away embarrassed ONCE. If it happens twice in 3 seasons Stansbury needs to send the 3 under the microscope away plus any others he deems worthy of being canned & anoint Choice, Coleman or somebody else as interim HC and cancel this experiment.

This season is 5 wins minimum by any reasonable fan’s measure. Average expected wins is 6 or 7. Maybe if we have some unforeseen events, for example Sims getting injured & missing significant time the bar should be lowered, but time to stop making excuses. If in the 3rd year you can’t kick an XP or short FG, the offense is dazed & confused and the defense still looks stuck in a rut then changes better be underway or the handwriting will have been chiseled into the wall.

Damn we’re discussing being a total abortion in year 3. My oh my some have shockingly low standards for this HC,

LibertyTurns

Banned
🙄

Huh, just cited 2 posts in the last page fretting over beating Kennesaw St. Time for the handwringers to get off the fence & pick a win total for 2021. On one hand folks on here talk up the transfers, recruits, S&C, how great Coleman, Choice & Key are, etc. Then there’s returnees like Gibbs, Clayton, etc. After all that, crickets when it comes to expectations.

How many wins are you predicting?

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
If we lose to Kennesaw or Northern then CGC needs to pack his bags. We’re playing Kennesaw St, not K St as in Kansas St. Many teams could have an off week against a practice game team and come away embarrassed ONCE. If it happens twice in 3 seasons Stansbury needs to send the 3 under the microscope away plus any others he deems worthy of being canned & anoint Choice, Coleman or somebody else as interim HC and cancel this experiment.

This season is 5 wins minimum by any reasonable fan’s measure. Average expected wins is 6 or 7. Maybe if we have some unforeseen events, for example Sims getting injured & missing significant time the bar should be lowered, but time to stop making excuses. If in the 3rd year you can’t kick an XP or short FG, the offense is dazed & confused and the defense still looks stuck in a rut then changes better be underway or the handwriting will have been chiseled into the wall.

Damn we’re discussing being a total abortion in year 3. My oh my some have shockingly low standards for this HC,
Unlike 2019 we have a real QB now and can actually score some points on offense

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

We're not losing to either of these teams in Year 3. I don't know at what point we pull away from Kennesaw State, but it'll be in the first half against each of them.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
I knew TC when we were both at Tech and can say that he is one of the more genuine dudes I have met. It is no surprise to me that he is continuing to have success in life. I remember him talking about at Tech that no one is promising him anything more than a chance to show what he had to give. He took class and sports in the same way he takes life and is preaching to the guys on our squad. All anyone can ask, is that you get a chance to do your level best, without external impediment. If you let foolish decisions, lack of effort, misplaced confidence in your ability or place in the team get in the way, then get ready to lose your seat at the table.

These lessons are worth their weight in gold beyond the dream of NFL Rosters and all the way down to working a normal job, being a husband or father or brother or son.
What a great interview. Such an inspiration.

Jmonty71

Banned
Now that MLB is going, with fans. Vaccines are getting out there. I looks like next season, has a good chance of happening, without any issues. Given, that everything goes well, what expectations do you have, for next year? I know we are far away from a national contender, but I think asking for a bowl appearance isn't too far fetched. I expect to see less turnovers committed by our young, talented QB. I expect to see better pass protection. I expect to see us deliver some punishing sacks on opposing QBs.

So, what are your expectations, for next season? Shoot for the moon or be realistic... Don't care... Let's talk some football....

TruckStick

Ramblin' Wreck
There is enough talent to make a bowl, enough time past the early transition to make a bowl. The schedule is hard but it comes down to two things in the way of making a bowl (IMO, 6 wins):

Strength of schedule
Coaching

Coaching changes are in order if there are plenty of embarrassing moments. Money down signs can only get you so far.

Frankly, I have no idea what we will do. I think that if we do not get to a bowl this year then questions need to be asked. The first two games will tell me. Don't down play NIU as they are not that many seasons from an Orange bowl and except last year were bowl regulars. Then KSU. This will be harder than many think as our last outing against a CPJ offense was a disaster.

If we take care of business and win by 14 plus in both games, then I will think we maybe can win 4 more.
If we squeak by then maybe only 2 more.
Lose one of these games and we may be looking at a 1 win season and goodbye coaching staff.

The schedule is very hard this year with two guaranteed losses.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The competency of the coaching staff is the key to a winning season. They have capable players for what they intend to do. We should know by November barring injuries to key positions.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
Frankly, I have no idea what we will do. I think that if we do not get to a bowl this year then questions need to be asked. The first two games will tell me. Don't down play NIU as they are not that many seasons from an Orange bowl and except last year were bowl regulars. Then KSU. This will be harder than many think as our last outing against a CPJ offense was a disaster.

If we take care of business and win by 14 plus in both games, then I will think we maybe can win 4 more.
If we squeak by then maybe only 2 more.
Lose one of these games and we may be looking at a 1 win season and goodbye coaching staff.

The schedule is very hard this year with two guaranteed losses.
You're 100% correct that the first two games could set the tone for the season. After that we're staring down two likely losses unless we can keep pace offensively with UNC, which I don't think is likely. The next 4 are all winnable (Pitt, Duke, UVA, VT). Miami will have a freshmen qb but has talent all over the field. If we go into that one 6-2 we could pull the win. BC is winnable. The final two games (ND and UGA) are losses unless we make huge strides during the year.

Overall, I think 6 wins and a bowl are achievable. 8-4 would be a springboard to relevancy.

We need to see improved coaching across the board. Choice and his group are the only exception to that.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Ok, so here’s my predictions:
NIU: Win
Kennesaw state: Win
Clemson: Loss
UNC: Loss
Pitt: Win
Duke: Win
Virginia: Win
Virginia tech: Win
Miami: Loss
Boston college: Win
Notre Dame: Loss
Dawgs: Loss
I would be very satisfied with 7 wins. We could honestly win the Miami game too since it’s Miami and their recent history against us, it’s a toss up game. Sims controls how many games we win.