Expectations for the 2021 season

JacketRacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I totally overestimated last year but seriously, looking at the schedule 7-8 wins isn’t a stretch. We start out with what should be 2, we probably lose to Clemson and NC but then we should beat Duke & Virginia. I think we can beat Pitt and we have a shot at VT, Miami ( because they are who they are) and BC. We lose to ND & UGA.

am I really drinking the juice or is this realistic ?
I can see it!

Here's my way too early schedule prediction:

W vs. NIU
W vs. Kennesaw
L @ Clemson
L vs. UNC
W vs. Pitt
W @ Duke
BYE
W @ UVA
L vs. VT
W @ Miami
W vs. BC
L @ ND
L vs. UGA

I think Miami and VT are very winnable games. I also convince myself that we can win 8 or 9 games every year around this time so...

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
I totally overestimated last year but seriously, looking at the schedule 7-8 wins isn’t a stretch. We start out with what should be 2, we probably lose to Clemson and NC but then we should beat Duke & Virginia. I think we can beat Pitt and we have a shot at VT, Miami ( because they are who they are) and BC. We lose to ND & UGA.

am I really drinking the juice or is this realistic ?
Its realistic-ish. I think that might be our ceiling this year, which means we have to really limit our mistakes and get some lucky bounces in those UVA, VT, Miami and Pitt games. I'm not saying we can't win against, ND, ugag, NC, and Clemson, its just unlikely. I do feel confident against the other 4 and think we'll be favored in those matchups.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I can see it!

Here's my way too early schedule prediction:

W vs. NIU
W vs. Kennesaw
W @ Clemson
W vs. UNC
W vs. Pitt
W @ Duke
BYE
W @ UVA
W vs. VT
W @ Miami
W vs. BC
W @ ND
W vs. UGA

I think all the games are winnable games. Until we lose, I concede nothing!
Fixed it for you. No one should predict a Tech team from losing a game before it's played. Shame on you!

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Its realistic-ish. I think that might be our ceiling this year, which means we have to really limit our mistakes and get some lucky bounces in those UVA, VT, Miami and Pitt games. I'm not saying we can't win against, ND, ugag, NC, and Clemson, its just unlikely. I do feel confident against the other 4 and think we'll be favored in those matchups.

That's fair. I'm optimistic with our degree of returning experience and balance of new additions. More consistency especially with line play can make a big difference. However the team is not used to winning, so we might fail to put away teams we are better than or come up short when we get an edge in a competitive game.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
That's fair. I'm optimistic with our degree of returning experience and balance of new additions. More consistency especially with line play can make a big difference. However the team is not used to winning, so we might fail to put away teams we are better than or come up short when we get an edge in a competitive game.
In Ross' third year we saw a team evolve from one hoping to win to one expecting to win. The 2014 team had that mental edge. It's glorious to see when we get to see it. Hoping for some change in that mindset this year.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I just want to beat Kennesaw. They are well coached and have an identity. If we beat them that bodes well for the future. But in no way should we be looking past them. They have that game circled and gave all the ingredients to win that game.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
That high school offense is mighty tough to stop.
What worries me about that game is the fact that they are playing a spring season right now. We all know that it took 3-4 weeks to get the offense truly 100% in sync. Remember the saying "When the leaves start turnin' the option starts churnin'." Well, they may be in mid-season form week 1.

BilldGopher

Jolly Good Fellow
What was that OT-6’11”? He was just leaning for 4 yards against us.
That was then true freshman "Big Dan" aka Daniel Faalele from Australia. Playing you guys was his best game of that season. He got hurt at the end of 2019 (against Mrs. Sheboygan's Badgers), sat out 2020 due to covid, but is coming back for 2021 (YAY!).

For completely different reasons (than this thread) recently came across this short YouTube piece on him from the Detroit bowl game:

Here's the link:

We expect to have our deepest O-line in 15 years this season. Gopher fans are praying Big Dan lives up to both the hype and his potential this season. NFL scouts start salivating like Pavlov's dogs just from his stats, let alone what he might be able to do in the big leagues. Although still eligible, we expect him to go pro after this season.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
I just want to beat Kennesaw. They are well coached and have an identity. If we beat them that bodes well for the future. But in no way should we be looking past them. They have that game circled and gave all the ingredients to win that game.
KSU is not going to roll over and play dead against us. So if Collins overlooks KSU like we did against the Citadel, then we hired the wrong guy. Its time to stop dancing and declaring this is the biggest make-over in the history of college football. Show me that you're a real head football coach. (Sorry for the rant).

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
KSU is not going to roll over and play dead against us. So if Collins overlooks KSU like we did against the Citadel, then we hired the wrong guy. Its time to stop dancing and declaring this is the biggest make-over in the history of college football. Show me that you're a real head football coach. (Sorry for the rant).
Haven't heard that in a year, so we should probably stop attributing that comment to him. He's moved on, so should we. He's never going to stop dancing. That's part of who he is. He's never going to quit getting his message out there. That's who he is.

Who do you think knows how to win more, the guy who was hired to do the job or the fan who sits back and makes comments like "overlooking the Citadel"? Guarantee you Collins' crew did not overlook the Citadel. That's plain stupid talk. Every coach knows they can be beaten by an inferior team.