Expectations for the 2021 season

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
Well it was 12 wins 2-9 1987, 3-8 1988, and 7-4 in 1989 which almost everyone would be happy with 7 wins this year. And he was 39-19-1 at Maryland before coming here.
Beat a top 10 SC team in that 3-8 season. Ross would have loved to have any of last years or 2019’s QB instead of Todd Rampley or Lee Williamson.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Bobby Ross went 10-24 the three years immediately prior to winning the MNC. What's your point.
He's not going anywhere next year regardless of how the team does. Some are thinking he might get hired away with a good year but if that happens it will not be next year. That was my point. BTW Ross had proven himself before he coached at Tech. Maryland was very good under him. Lucky for us their admin didn't support him after the referee incident.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Yes....much as I hate it...Dave was correct...Just look at the last 45 years of GT football....I'm 66. I do not expect to live to see another 1990......or a 2014, for that matter.
I so hope I'm wrong.

Time to post this again:
"Do I think that Tech can compete for a national championship under the current setup. No, not really. So I was a shocked as anybody at what happened in 1990. Do I think that Tech has a chance to be a really good team and finish in the Top 10, Yes I do. Maybe not year in and year out, But I do think they could be a regular Top 25 team and compete for the ACC on a regular basis. And I still think that's the case at Tech." Kim King

Dave Braine was an idiot. We had 5 consecutive top 25 AP final poll finishes that included 3 in a row over Georgie under O'Leary..who left while Braine was AD. Braine's statement was true ----as long as we had people like him as AD. Hopefully we are finally past that with Stansbury, but we will see. Stansbury has been at Tech for 5 years and I might have expected more progress, but I understand that he has been digging out from a deep hole created by his predecessors.

It's interesting that Stansbury and Collins are both O'Leary disciples. I had my issues with O'Leary, but he doesn't get enough credit for what he accomplished at Tech after taking over a bad situation.

Time to post this again:
"Do I think that Tech can compete for a national championship under the current setup. No, not really. So I was a shocked as anybody at what happened in 1990. Do I think that Tech has a chance to be a really good team and finish in the Top 10, Yes I do. Maybe not year in and year out, But I do think they could be a regular Top 25 team and compete for the ACC on a regular basis. And I still think that's the case at Tech." Kim King

Dave Braine was an idiot. We had 5 consecutive top 25 AP final poll finishes that included 3 in a row over Georgie under O'Leary..who left while Braine was AD. Braine's statement was true ----as long as we had people like him as AD. Hopefully we are finally past that with Stansbury, but we will see. Stansbury has been at Tech for 5 years and I might have expected more progress, but I understand that he has been digging out from a deep hole created by his predecessors.

It's interesting that Stansbury and Collins are both O'Leary disciples. I had my issues with O'Leary, but he doesn't get enough credit for what he accomplished at Tech after taking over a bad situation.
O'Leary was smart, after his first two seasons, 5 and 6 wins, he went out looking and got his friend, CRF. That is what made them a 10, 8 and 9 win team. CGC would be wise to go find someone similar to replace his OC.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
O'Leary was smart, after his first two seasons, 5 and 6 wins, he went out looking and got his friend, CRF. That is what made them a 10, 8 and 9 win team. CGC would be wise to go find someone similar to replace his OC.
Two problems first what proven OC would want to come to work for ( well) an unproven Head coach , second if you ( could fine one by promising him he would be in line as the head coach) lack of money is the second problem.

gtyj18jr

Jolly Good Fellow
3 wins - UNI, KSU, Duke
4 losses - Clem, UNC, ND, Georgia

Pick 2-3 wins between Pitt, @UVA, Vpisu,@daU, and BC. We have 3 at home. This should not be that difficult. None of the losses to this group should be by more than 14. No more embarrassing losses to mediocre or worse ACC teams like Cuse and BC last season.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
Two problems first what proven OC would want to come to work for ( well) an unproven Head coach , second if you ( could fine one by promising him he would be in line as the head coach) lack of money is the second problem.
This is a big difference between then and now. The spread in coaching salaries was not nearly as large as now. Financially, it might make sense for even a power conf O-coord to go to Alabama or Clemson as a position coach. Wasn't Tenuta the highest paid coordinator at one point? No way Tech can do that today.

As I have mentioned, go watch Coastal Carolina's offense. That is what we should run. Bet we could get their OC for a reasonable price.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
He's not going anywhere next year regardless of how the team does. Some are thinking he might get hired away with a good year but if that happens it will not be next year. That was my point. BTW Ross had proven himself before he coached at Tech. Maryland was very good under him. Lucky for us their admin didn't support him after the referee incident.
I understand. I agree, he's not going to get hired away. But the possibility of him getting hired away is great than him getting fired, which was my point.

My question about your point was an honest ask because I really didn't know what you were trying to show. Now I do, and I agree.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Well it was 12 wins 2-9 1987, 3-8 1988, and 7-4 in 1989 which almost everyone would be happy with 7 wins this year. And he was 39-19-1 at Maryland before coming here.
You're right. I was remembering 1 win and 2 wins, when it was 2 and 3. My only point in comparison was that even with the big boys that Curry left, it took a seasoned coach two crappy years to get everything straight. I'm not so sure why so many are so down on Collins. He needs (and will get) enough time to get everything in and rolling. I don't think he will leave before his contract is up unless he loses the team. That's 7 years, not 5 like everyone on here is chirping. I don't think his seat gets warm until he has 4 years of losing seasons.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Time to post this again:

To be a consistent top 25 team these days you are going to have to win 9+ games every year. Currently we have two juggernaut top 5 programs on our annual schedule that are nearly impossible to beat. That leaves 10 regular season games that will always include UNC, Miami, and VT, plus occasional games against ND, FSU, random P5 OOC games, and quality bowl opponents. Can we consistently go 9-2 or better against that slate of games? I doubt it. For us to be a consistent top 25 program we likely need more money, significantly better recruiting than we have even under Collins, and we need UGA and Clemson to come back to earth a bit.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
. I'm not so sure why so many are so down on Collins.
I'm not down on him he was the best pick over the ones we were talking with at the time. The problem is a lot of our fans are on the conservative side ( note how I did not say old cause I'm one) winning would help but the fact is you will never get 100% of fans to agree anything . ( some times fans can be harder to deal with than a bunch of pi ssed of women)

stech81

Helluva Engineer
To be a consistent top 25 team these days you are going to have to win 9+ games every year. Currently we have two juggernaut top 5 programs on our annual schedule that are nearly impossible to beat. That leaves 10 regular season games that will always include UNC, Miami, and VT, plus occasional games against ND, FSU, random P5 OOC games, and quality bowl opponents. Can we consistently go 9-2 or better against that slate of games? I doubt it. For us to be a consistent top 25 program we likely need more money, significantly better recruiting than we have even under Collins, and we need UGA and Clemson to come back to earth a bit.
I say we join the Mountain West conference would make better road games to go to Hawaii and Las Vegas. ( oh and I'll need you credit card number tp help pay for the road games )