Expectations for GT Football

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Keep being satisfied with the mediocrity we've seen for the last 20 years. You won't be disappointed. I'll continue to expect us to get back to where we were at the turn of the century. Like Kim King did, Geoff Collins, Stansbury and I will keep believing. We can do it, but not when the fanbase is happy with the results of the last decade and are thrilled with a couple of "milestones," each of which are tainted with an asterisk.

I applaud your fervor, but I'd be careful of throwing the asterisk comment out there and then pointing to O'Leary. It was his use of ineligible players that put us on probation. We are lucky the NCAA didn't vacate any of our wins then. Then he asterisked himself with resumegate...

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I applaud your fervor, but I'd be careful of throwing the asterisk comment out there and then pointing to O'Leary. It was his use of ineligible players that put us on probation. We are lucky the NCAA didn't vacate any of our wins then. Then he asterisked himself with resumegate...
George O'Leary never submitted a resume.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
O'Leary had 5 consecutive AP Top 25 final finishes. You did not see anything near that from 2008-2018. 2008, 2009-then without mostly Gailey recruits-one more AP Top 25 finish in 2014. So don't talk about "milestones". O'Leary did better from 1997-2001 (within the last 25 years) than the so called milestones of 2008-2018. He also had 3 consecutive victories over UGa, not 3 in 11 years.
We were the second best team in the ACC those O'Leary years when FSU was a powerhouse (like Clemson now) but FSU went to the Orange Bowl as the ACC Champs. There was no playoff to give us an Orange Bowl bid (like in 2014) as the runner up. Apples and oranges comparison for the years you cite, pun intended If FSU had not gotten into the playoff in 2014 there would have been no Orange Bowl for Tech. The premise of your post is completely void of factual and logical underpinning.
Show me one conference championship trophy presently at Tech from the last 50 years--other than 1990. There is not one. I'll show you a national championship trophy that is at Tech, However, it wasn't won since 2008, nor was it won more than 50 years ago.
There were no division championships for most of the years you cite because there were no divisions in the ACC until 2005.
Essentially, we've been a mediocre program since Homer Rice (and his hires) departed. Yes 2014 was a good year, but that's been about it. One "milestone" aberration surrounded by years of mediocrity, including a division co-championship and an ACC championship game appearance with a 6-6 regular season record in 2012. Talk about mediocrity!.
2010-2018 were years of mediocrity surrounding 2014. Milestones indeed. Your post has an absence of factual basis or logical conclusion.

Did you learn to roll your eyes at The Citadel when you put forth such misleading hypotheses? You should know better. Fall and give me 20.

Keep being satisfied with the mediocrity we've seen for the last 20 years. You won't be disappointed. I'll continue to expect us to get back to where we were at the turn of the century. Like Kim King did, Geoff Collins, Stansbury and I will keep believing. We can do it, but not when the fanbase is happy with the results of the last decade and are thrilled with a couple of "milestones," each of which are tainted with an asterisk.
There is a championship trophy for 1998 and the one for 2009 is in a closet.

ElCidBUZZingFAN

Jolly Good Fellow
two of those 5 seasons had 5 losses with an absolute hatred from any small school from a crap conference to get any votes into the top 25. another season had 4 losses.

in 2016, going 9-4 didnt even get us into the top 25.
Ya.

Demands excellence then weirdly backs off that after a single post to only demanding finishing in the Top 25.

Some of you think that's a good enough track record over a 11 year period. Some of us think we can do better - like competing for conference championships and NYE Bowls.

O'Leary had 5 consecutive AP Top 25 final finishes. You did not see anything near that from 2008-2018. 2008, 2009-then without mostly Gailey recruits-one more AP Top 25 finish in 2014. So don't talk about "milestones". O'Leary did better from 1997-2001 (within the last 25 years) than the so called milestones of 2008-2018. He also had 3 consecutive victories over UGa, not 3 in 11 years.
We were the second best team in the ACC those O'Leary years when FSU was a powerhouse (like Clemson now) but FSU went to the Orange Bowl as the ACC Champs. There was no playoff to give us an Orange Bowl bid (like in 2014) as the runner up. Apples and oranges comparison for the years you cite, pun intended If FSU had not gotten into the playoff in 2014 there would have been no Orange Bowl for Tech. The premise of your post is completely void of factual and logical underpinning.
Show me one conference championship trophy presently at Tech from the last 50 years--other than 1990. There is not one. I'll show you a national championship trophy that is at Tech, However, it wasn't won since 2008, nor was it won more than 50 years ago.
There were no division championships for most of the years you cite because there were no divisions in the ACC until 2005.
Essentially, we've been a mediocre program since Homer Rice (and his hires) departed. Yes 2014 was a good year, but that's been about it. One "milestone" aberration surrounded by years of mediocrity, including a division co-championship and an ACC championship game appearance with a 6-6 regular season record in 2012. Talk about mediocrity!.
2010-2018 were years of mediocrity surrounding 2014. Milestones indeed. Your post has an absence of factual basis or logical conclusion.

Did you learn to roll your eyes at The Citadel when you put forth such misleading hypotheses? You should know better. Fall and give me 20.

We have been a mediocre team since 1960. Go back and look at Dodd's last years.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I bristle a little at your term “mediocre” but I get your point. Wonder if anyone would like to start a thread that discusses the history of changes in college football from, say, 1952 to the present, that moved Tech from being a competitive team on a regular basis to being a team that regularly hopes to break out of the doldrums.

I bristle a little at your term “mediocre” but I get your point. Wonder if anyone would like to start a thread that discusses the history of changes in college football from, say, 1952 to the present, that moved Tech from being a competitive team on a regular basis to being a team that regularly hopes to break out of the doldrums.
A story that today would not be politically correct.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
His GT resume and biography was what got him caught in his lies.

It's an interesting story. He falsified his resume early in his coaching career which was the only reason it got started. By the time he was at Tech or hired for ND, those components on his resume were completely irrelevant for his qualifications as a major CFB HC. Things probably worked out as they should in the end.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
He told me that he had never submitted a resume for any job he ever had.

That's "technically" true. His agent would submit all resumes, etc. Regardless of the piece of paper he may or may not have personally submitted, he allowed a lie to be perpetuated that he benefited from. It's still dishonest and still put a black eye on GT when it happened.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

I'd say we have been an inconsistent program.

1990 National Championship is not mediocre.
1999 Top 10 finish and tied for ACC championship is not mediocre
2000-2001 back to back 2nd place in ACC and top 20 finishes is not mediocre
Chan Gailey Years...probably mediocre
2009 top 15 finish and ACC Championship is not mediocre
2014 top 10 finish and ACCC appearance is not mediocre

From 1997 - 2014 we qualified for a bowl games which was the 2nd longest active streak at the time. That is not mediocre.

Sure, we haven't been on a crazy tear like 'Bama or Clemson, but for a school like GT with our small P5 budget and academic challenges, we have acquitted ourselves well over the last 30 years.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The system is corrupt. Integrity and ethics have no home in this system. If you want to be true to your standards then you should be leading the charge to get GT out of the system. I’d stand with you on that. But since GT continues to visit the cathouse we might as well pick the pretty one.

Dodd led that charge and left the SEC. GT has been playing catch up ever since.

We don't need to "cheat", but GT does need to do a better job with picking ADs with a better vision for us. IMO, GT's biggest setbacks have been administrative mistakes moreso than our coaching and recruiting.