Expectations for GT Football

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I applaud your fervor, but I'd be careful of throwing the asterisk comment out there and then pointing to O'Leary. It was his use of ineligible players that put us on probation. We are lucky the NCAA didn't vacate any of our wins then. Then he asterisked himself with resumegate...
The ineligible players issue was solely the result of a difference in interpretation of the progress rules as Tech transitioned from a Quarter system to a Semester system. The whole thing was a sham. Once again the NCAA should have been ashamed of how they acted and the GTAA leadership just took it. We should have sued the NCAA.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I think that’s the plan right? Steadily elevate our recruiting to a level where we are competing for conference championships regularly.
I don’t think that’s the plan at all. That’s 1990 thinking.

There are comments TStan makes for stakeholder consumption and then there is what is actually happening.

The big concern in college sports TODAY is the bifurcation of college football. There already are discussions to create a “College Football Association” of the top 20-25 teams that regularly compete for a natty and this org will be distinct from the NCAA. So, you are either in that group and relevant (think $) or you’re not. Not Bowling Green, but close.

Collins was hired, IMO, to make sure Tech as a program is in that group. If that’s 8-4, so be it.

No one believes the current system is sustainable. It’s what happens next that is scaring the bejesus out of ADs.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
The ineligible players issue was solely the result of a difference in interpretation of the progress rules as Tech transitioned from a Quarter system to a Semester system. The whole thing was a sham. Once again the NCAA should have been ashamed of how they acted and the GTAA leadership just took it. We should have sued the NCAA.
Exactly. It had nothing to do with O'Leary's oversight of the program.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Back to the thread title........My expectations are for us to be in the top 25 CONSISTENTLY, and in the top 10 OCCASIONALLY. That keeps us in the national conversations, both with fan base and recruiting. What we have had in the more recent past is "a cup of coffee" in the national and local spotlight for a year, or maybe two, then we drop out of sight.

How do I hope we will meet my expectations, you may ask ? Well, I think CGC is doing 2 vitally important things : building depth and recruiting playmakers. These are things I have been whining about for years. Injuries, transfers out, etc. have KILLED us in the past, especially OL and DL, because our QUALITY depth was so thin. Playmakers have been few and far between. We have seen glimpses over the years obviously : Johnson, Nesbitt, Dwyer, Thomas- Mason, Gibbs, maybe Sims will be. Those guys can take the game on their backs and ( almost) singlehandedly deliver a win. On defense, it's getting that stop, sack, interception. I don't care what "system" they run , they will figure out a way.

The thing that bothers me about CGC, is I have not seen a definite TREND toward consistently better play at this point. MAYBE it's the covid year ?? In my mind, NEXT YEAR is critical. Not looking to be top 25, or even going to a bowl. But I think we have to show a jump in wins, like from 3 to 5 or 6. " Rebuilding" will only get you so far, especially with the not-so diehard fans. They have a short attention span. The new marketing ideas/slogans will begin to sound overused and gimmicky.

I am trying to remain upbeat and optimistic, but if we finish 3-9 , or even 4-8, next year, IMO we will be in trouble: transfers will increase, momentum will slip, and recruits will start to wonder. Just my 2 cents.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah but that was utter bull****, because people with easier schedules and worse records were ranked above us. We went 3-0 against the SEC, and it’s supposed to just mean more.
i agree. was using that has an example of how 9-4 cant get you ranked but 7-5 could back in the 90s

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer

There are comments TStan makes for stakeholder consumption and then there is what is actually happening.

The big concern in college sports TODAY is the bifurcation of college football. There already are discussions to create a “College Football Association” of the top 20-25 teams that regularly compete for a natty and this org will be distinct from the NCAA. So, you are either in that group and relevant (think $) or you’re not. Not Bowling Green, but close.

Collins was hired, IMO, to make sure Tech as a program is in that group. If that’s 8-4, so be it.

No one believes the current system is sustainable. It’s what happens next that is scaring the bejesus out of ADs.
I get the overall view but that doesn’t change what I originally said. To be in that group we have to improve recruiting. And that doesn’t happen overnight. We need to see a step forward with the ‘22 class and results on the field to be sure we aren’t left out.

MidtownJacket

Staff member

If this is something they ever really consider doing, I would hope they would manage it somehow similar to relegation in European Soccer. Maybe even what Bundesliga does would be cool:

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
There are 4 teams, 5 including ND, whom we play every few years, who out recruit us substantially. One of those teams appears to have fixed their coaching problem. We are either going to have to elevate our recruiting to their level or hope for continual bad coaching on their part to be a perennial 10 win team.
And there is no reason they should out recruit us. We are in one of 3 or 4 hotbeds of talent in the country. Even CGC alluded to that when he took the job. We should be a sleeping Giant. Everything in CFB goes through Atlanta. If you can’t sell that, what can you sell?

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Back to the thread title........My expectations are for us to be in the top 25 CONSISTENTLY, and in the top 10 OCCASIONALLY. That keeps us in the national conversations, both with fan base and recruiting. What we have had in the more recent past is "a cup of coffee" in the national and local spotlight for a year, or maybe two, then we drop out of sight.

How do I hope we will meet my expectations, you may ask ? Well, I think CGC is doing 2 vitally important things : building depth and recruiting playmakers. These are things I have been whining about for years. Injuries, transfers out, etc. have KILLED us in the past, especially OL and DL, because our QUALITY depth was so thin. Playmakers have been few and far between. We have seen glimpses over the years obviously : Johnson, Nesbitt, Dwyer, Thomas- Mason, Gibbs, maybe Sims will be. Those guys can take the game on their backs and ( almost) singlehandedly deliver a win. On defense, it's getting that stop, sack, interception. I don't care what "system" they run , they will figure out a way.

The thing that bothers me about CGC, is I have not seen a definite TREND toward consistently better play at this point. MAYBE it's the covid year ?? In my mind, NEXT YEAR is critical. Not looking to be top 25, or even going to a bowl. But I think we have to show a jump in wins, like from 3 to 5 or 6. " Rebuilding" will only get you so far, especially with the not-so diehard fans. They have a short attention span. The new marketing ideas/slogans will begin to sound overused and gimmicky.

I am trying to remain upbeat and optimistic, but if we finish 3-9 , or even 4-8, next year, IMO we will be in trouble: transfers will increase, momentum will slip, and recruits will start to wonder. Just my 2 cents.
You hit the nail on the head for most level headed GT fans. This next year‘s focus is squarely on Collins. He either gets us to take a step forward or he doesn’t. Not much in between any more. And I’m not talking about our record. i could see us winning 3 games again yet be a much improved team. I could also see us winning 5 and it’s the same lack of preparedness we saw this year. Remember, we play other teams who want to win and it often comes down to a turnover or big play in the 4th quarter. What scares me, and I’m always a backer of the GT coach, is that Pittsburgh game wasn’t much different than the Citadel game. We got out coached and out manned and made just some absolutely head scratching decisions.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
that Pittsburgh game wasn’t much different than the Citadel game.
Confused Thinking GIF by MOODMAN

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Well, the 2008 championship (built on Gailey's 2007 recruiting class) was vacated. 2012, we were Coastal co-champions with a 6-6 record. 2014 we were Coastal Champions, but went to the Orange Bowl as losers of the Championship game.

Some of you think that's a good enough track record over an 11 year period. Some of us think we can do better.
So far it looks like you are wrong.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I'd say we have been an inconsistent program.

1990 National Championship is not mediocre.
1999 Top 10 finish and tied for ACC championship is not mediocre
2000-2001 back to back 2nd place in ACC and top 20 finishes is not mediocre
Chan Gailey Years...probably mediocre
2009 top 15 finish and ACC Championship is not mediocre
2014 top 10 finish and ACCC appearance is not mediocre

From 1997 - 2014 we qualified for a bowl games which was the 2nd longest active streak at the time. That is not mediocre.

Sure, we haven't been on a crazy tear like 'Bama or Clemson, but for a school like GT with our small P5 budget and academic challenges, we have acquitted ourselves well over the last 30 years.
Yes. When I see people complaining about how "mediocre" Tech football is I get a bit steamed. There is nothing mediocre about winning 7 games and going to a bowl game. There is nothing mediocre about consistently having a winning record in our P5 conference. Indeed, most of the teams in Div 1 football would kill for a similar level of success. Doing this with a clean program at a STEM school is not only not mediocre, it is absolutely astounding.

I know that many here would love to see us regularly win 9 - 12 games a year. I would too. But, while I think Tech can do that regularly (it always has), I don't think we can get to a level of talent that will do this every year. I'm cool with that and have been since Bobby Dodd was coach. We'll see if Collins can get us to a 7 win plateau and then we'll try for the gold ring. As I just said, however, the present record isn't encouraging. Next year, when, God willing, we'll have a regular football season, we had better see improvement. And by that, btw, I do not mean a "better team with a 3 win record". I mean a winning season or close to it. Frankly, I think that will probably happen, but I'm not going to hold my breath until September.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

I disagree. Next year will be Year 3, meaning "his" recruits will be freshmen and sophomores (excluding transfers in). Yes, the roster is flipping, but they're still young. I think 2022 and 2023 are the critical years that recruits are going to be looking at for significant improvement. If 2021 doesn't reflect well with the W/L record, people will still be looking at what the staff is doing relative to roster building. I don't think seriously knowledgeable people will start to ask questions until after the 2022 season.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
He was the head coach. It was his program. It was his fault.
Actually, it wasn't his fault, it was the fault of Compliance, which sits outside of the football program. There were several other programs that got hit hard for the same reason, including T&F and some others I can't remember now (maybe WBB?). Compliance reported to and was directed by the AD, so it was the responsibility and "fault" of the AD at the time. This was another of David Braine's goofs.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Actually, it wasn't his fault, it was the fault of Compliance, which sits outside of the football program. There were several other programs that got hit hard for the same reason, including T&F and some others I can't remember now (maybe WBB?). Compliance reported to and was directed by the AD, so it was the responsibility and "fault" of the AD at the time. This was another of David Braine's goofs.

I'll give him a pass on that, but my opinion of GO'L isn't going to change much. He was a heck of a coach but is a horrible person.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
The problem with expecting a high number of wins is we have Georgia, Clemson and Notre Dame (in 2020 and 2021) which are Top 5 programs (they are far better than the teams even ten years ago). There have been very few times since the Dodd era where we have consistently defeated Top 5 teams. While our program has been decent in the past regimes, we have not been in the position to beat those quality of teams. With Notre Dame rolling off of the schedule in 2022 and 2023, getting to 8 or 9 wins should be realistic goal. Yes I know NC has gotten much better and Miami maybe. But the other teams on our schedule should be ones we can beat on a more consistent basis than we are currently. Our track record against Duke and Pittsburgh have been hard to swallow. Next year, our goal should be at least 6 wins and a bowl bid. We have got to make progress to provide us an avenue to first get our recruiting back to at least the the 2019/2020 class level and start making headway on getting some sidewalk fans (though I think that will realistically take more than 6 wins).

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I disagree. Next year will be Year 3, meaning "his" recruits will be freshmen and sophomores (excluding transfers in). Yes, the roster is flipping, but they're still young. I think 2022 and 2023 are the critical years that recruits are going to be looking at for significant improvement. If 2021 doesn't reflect well with the W/L record, people will still be looking at what the staff is doing relative to roster building. I don't think seriously knowledgeable people will start to ask questions until after the 2022 season.
The youth excuse is a bit of a hard sale when you have brought in 15 transfers. Between those guys, the younger guys who have gotten plenty of playing experience already, and the older guys who were already here and have done well in the new system we should have more than enough experience to win some games.