Expectations for GT Football

I’m not sure what you’re implying here. One thing (among several) that distinguishes the modern Alabama organization under Saban is that boosters have been moved out in terms of influence. Auburn, LSU and most recently Tennessee, all have boosters with outsized ability to run the program. Most programs suffer from meddling. Including Tech.
Lol....boosters don't meddle when the coach is bigger than the boosters. Think The Bear.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Lol....boosters don't meddle when the coach is bigger than the boosters. Think The Bear.
Of course they do. Bear Bryant schmoozed with them and took them hunting. Saban made it a condition of employment that he had 100% control of the football program with no input at all from boosters when it comes to the program.

Tommy Tuberville? Went 13-0 in 2004 and was 7-3 against Alabama. Forced out by boosters. Gus Malzahn? Forced out by boosters. Pruitt and Fulmer? Forced out by the Haslam brothers.

Big money talks.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
So the SEC gets 3 every year. We already have a 10 team playoff. It is called conference champions. If you don't win you should not get in. As for group of 5...why...Cincy could not beat UGA. Having at large just brings more arguments.
Cincinnati lost by three points. They certainly proved they belonged on the same field.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
This may sound obvious but history shows 1 thing. Alabama has no advantage on Auburn, Lsu etc. What Alabama has now is a great coach. As does Clemson and even UGA. It is coaching that makes the difference
Just look at the rise and fall of Florida State. Bobby and Jimbo are great coaches. Now they have had 2 notso great coaches. Look at UNC.
There is a very clear difference between Alabama and Auburn. Just like there is between Georgia and Georgia Tech. And Ohio State and everyone else. It’s recruiting and money, and how much money they spend on recruiting. You can argue the difference between Alabama and Georgia is coaching, and you’d be correct since Georgia actually outspends everyone in recruiting. But when Alabama is outspending Auburn, a top tier program with a national championship in the last decade, by $2M just in recruiting, it makes it impossible to compete. The difference between Georgia and Tech is even larger. Coaching only truly matters when the talent levels are relatively similar. When there’s a stark difference in talent, coaching becomes almost irrelevant.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
College football has always been this way. Pick your decade and there were 5 teams that were way above the rest. The GTs South Carolina
of the world have not been in that group ever. That does not mean that we are bad. We just have a disadvantage...academics
Right now, we are a bad team, perhaps not bottom feeders but close and we have the disadvantage of academics as you point out. I disagree somewhat about the 5 teams being way above the rest. The divide is sharper now and the chances of a non factory team making waves is almost nonexistent. It is true that there have always been "haves" and "have nots" across the college landscape at one time the old Big 8 was derided as "Oklahoma and the 7 Dwarves". I believe with the recruiting wars becoming a matter of who can pay for difference makers it is more pronounced. Alabama, UGA, LSU, Clemson, Ohio State, and a few others are professionals in all but name. IIWII

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
As of today that seems the most likely scenario. Things can change and hopefully we can do better. If that is what happens, then apathy will for sure be a major issue and the hype videos will ring all the more hollow.
I am kind of pessimistic myself, but the middle group of 5 opponents UVA, Virginia Tech, Pittsburgh, and the other two, can end up being better than they were last year or worse. It remains to be seen. We could have a noticeably better team with about the same record which would be really frustrating.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I am a long time fan with 2 degrees from GT. I hate to see us lose so I am not able to watch a TV game 100%. I have to go back and forth to other shows unless we are competitive. I will watch the end of most games even if losing. I will stay to the end if I come down to Atlanta for a game regardless of the score. I have just seen this show too many times over the years. I am a long time donor BTW and have a pretty good priority number. Wish I lived a little closer for FB games. I will continue to donate regardless because I believe in the young men that come to represent my school.
Interesting your experience is similar to the father of a friend of mine. The friend's father was a football player on the 1952 national championship team though he seldom got to play. He could not bear to watch Tech play even during the remainder of the 1950s and 1960s when Tech was still good and he was young. He would watch it on video tape or something but his son went to Tech and had no problems being a regular fan to this day. I wonder if former players have a difficult time making the transition from active player to being a fan or maybe it is so painful they avoid watching Tech altogether.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I read an interesting article last night. It stated that college football is more popular than ever. But ... because TV has taken on a supersized role, matchups are promoted as must sees ... “Will Saban Bear Dabo? Who’s better, Mac or Trevor? Etc.”

The result? There is less interest in ones own program. Many who lose a game or two early are out of the race. And interest declines further.

The result? The best get better. More attention. Higher ratings. TV is literally forcing stratification of the sport.
Yep. Very, very sad ! Like the Dallas Cowboys are "America's team ". Now everybody can support/be a winner. Just pull for Ala, Clempsun, OSU.....leave your mediocre school where you matriculated far behind. Just F'ing Great .....

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Of course they do. Bear Bryant schmoozed with them and took them hunting. Saban made it a condition of employment that he had 100% control of the football program with no input at all from boosters when it comes to the program.

Tommy Tuberville? Went 13-0 in 2004 and was 7-3 against Alabama. Forced out by boosters. Gus Malzahn? Forced out by boosters. Pruitt and Fulmer? Forced out by the Haslam brothers.

Big money talks.
What happened to Tuberville was pretty sad. I still believe Gus was a good coach and Auburn may come to rue the day they got rid of him.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I am a long time fan with 2 degrees from GT. I hate to see us lose so I am not able to watch a TV game 100%. I have to go back and forth to other shows unless we are competitive. I will watch the end of most games even if losing. I will stay to the end if I come down to Atlanta for a game regardless of the score. I have just seen this show too many times over the years. I am a long time donor BTW and have a pretty good priority number. Wish I lived a little closer for FB games. I will continue to donate regardless because I believe in the young men that come to represent my school.
I record them at times , because I just cannot watch live if we are not playing well.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
There is a very clear difference between Alabama and Auburn. Just like there is between Georgia and Georgia Tech. And Ohio State and everyone else. It’s recruiting and money, and how much money they spend on recruiting. You can argue the difference between Alabama and Georgia is coaching, and you’d be correct since Georgia actually outspends everyone in recruiting. But when Alabama is outspending Auburn, a top tier program with a national championship in the last decade, by $2M just in recruiting, it makes it impossible to compete. The difference between Georgia and Tech is even larger. Coaching only truly matters when the talent levels are relatively similar. When there’s a stark difference in talent, coaching becomes almost irrelevant.

Coaching matters. Just like recruiting matters, facilities matter, academic requirements matter, culture matters, girls matter, etc. It all matters but the biggest "matter" is money and the willingness to engage in utterly cutthroat tactics to get the guys you want. Tech and dozens of other schools are still hampered by quaint notions of being amateur athletics. I honestly believe that the elite football factories should just form their own league along with anyone willing to be shredded for big money like Vanderbilt. Any schools interested in preserving amateur athletics and a commitment to academics with the well being of the players foremost should form their own league as well. Sure, the coaching salaries for the latter would have to take a huge drop but that might be better in the long run.

slugboy

Staff member
What happened to Tuberville was pretty sad. I still believe Gus was a good coach and Auburn may come to rue the day they got rid of him.
Tuberville always had great assistants, if not the best ones. When Auburn had a good season, Tommy Tuberville was a genius. On the other years, he axed an assistant or two.
I’ve heard that head coaches get too much credit and too much blame, but Tuberville seemed to put special effort into deflecting the blame while keeping the credit, and it caught up to him.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Tuberville always had great assistants, if not the best ones. When Auburn had a good season, Tommy Tuberville was a genius. On the other years, he axed an assistant or two.
I’ve heard that head coaches get too much credit and too much blame, but Tuberville seemed to put special effort into deflecting the blame while keeping the credit, and it caught up to him.
That and certain boosters engaging in unethical if not illegal behind the scenes maneuvers to get him fired as well. They must have money coming out of their ears with the deal Gus has. Imagine being fired from your job and you get paid millions. Is this a great country or what?

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
With all the "juice," "404," "$$$down," Waffle House cup, and Adidas hype, why can't I expect 8 or 9 wins next season?? Or will somebody actually tell me those things are gimmicks?
I think 8 or 9 wins next year is unlikely. That would mean many of our young players are playing much better than expected and we upset some teams we should not. However, I think it is very realistic for 2022. Next year will mark only the second year CGC first recruiting class will be on campus. Those guys are a talented group but still young. We did Brin in some good transfers but again, mostly younger guys. I am looking for around 6 wins next year looking at what we have and who is coming back for other teams in the conference. The Pitt and Miami qbs coming back are huge for them. UNC is only going to get better. Clemson is Clemson and UGA is UGA. We can and should improve our number of wins. I don't want to see the headscratching loss (Syracuse) or the historically bad loss (Clemson).