Expansion Talk 2021

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
The “Maryland area” is also know as Washington, D.C. Washington has tons more B1G alumni than Atlanta. ATL can’t even hold a candle to D.C. when it comes to that. Other cities with more B1G alumni than Atlanta include: San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York, and Denver.

As of now, GT relies on opposing fans to fill BDS. The only sellouts that occur nowadays are when the majority of seats are filled with the opposing team’s colors. If Maryland (the D.C. market) and Rutgers (the New York market) can’t rely on their large, local B1G alumni bases to fill seats, why do you think Georgia Tech can? As I pointed out in Maryland’s case, I’m sure ticket sells would skyrocket for a couple of years until every B1G team has rotated through Atlanta, but after that it’ll be the same old story.

Clemson is a local team, a conference rival, and a historical rival. There are plenty of Clemson fans who have friends, family, coworkers, and see strangers who are GT fans. Their campus is a little over 2 hours from Atlanta. Countless alumni live in the ATL, I’d be willing to bet my life more than any B1G team. I’m positive they would have more interest in attending a game at BDS than anyone from Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Penn State, etc. after the novelty of Atlanta wore off after a couple of trips. Same goes for Miami and Florida State.

But Clemson is only here every 2 years. Don’t you think that Big 10 base you refer to would be more helpful to Tech TV revenue overall ?

I mean I prefer southern schools but everyone is clamoring for ND to join, it’s certainly not Southern

But Clemson is only here every 2 years. Don’t you think that Big 10 base you refer to would be more helpful to Tech TV revenue overall ?

I mean I prefer southern schools but everyone is clamoring for ND to join, it’s certainly not Southern
LOL..because if you are Catholic you are a ND Fan......They have always filled our stadium, even back in the 70s.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

My biggest argument is that the increased revenue will not matter when the competition also has increased revenue, and has been receiving it for years in advance. The increased revenue certainly hasn’t helped Nebraska, Maryland, or Rutgers compete on a national stage. Why do you think that will change with Tech? The only chance Tech has to be relevant if Texas and OU do in fact join the SEC would be to hope the ACC can lure Notre Dame and some other former member of the Big 12. Leaving the ACC to join the B1G as they currently stand would be like Mexico starting a space program and trying to beat SpaceX and NASA to Mars.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
You seemed to be struggling with the concept that the ACC does not control TV rights except for home games.
Have you seen the contract? Do you know that for certain? The descriptions I have seen in the media say "media rights". That would include any media money that an ACC school brings in, if that is what is in the contract language. Play in the Chick-fil-A kickoff game, have media money paid to the ACC. Play in a bowl game, have the media money paid to the ACC. Play an away game and have the media money paid to the home school. IF the contract is for "media rights" it won't matter if it is a "home game" or a "neutral-site game". IF the contract specifies "home game" then a neutral-site game would not be included.

Show me a link to the actual contract, and I will read through it to see what the contract actually says. You are arguing about something that you don't actually have firm facts about. If I read the contract and it specifically specifies that only home games are included, then I will concede that playing neutral-site games could be a loophole to the contract. Until then, I will assume that the lawyers were too smart for that to be the case.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Why do you several of you think anyone wants WVU? It's a terrible school with zero TV market. I guess the AAC would take them but I'm not even sure that's a given. The B1G damn sure isn't going to want them.

WVU makes zero sense for the ACC. None. Period. We've had 25 years of them begging for a spot to just get laughed at. What's changed? If the ACC is going to add anyone, it's going to be about television markets more than anything. Can UCF deliver? Sure but does Miami and FSU already deliver their market? Getting into Texas would be ideal.

No one wants Iowa State either. Possibly Ok-State but you're more likely to See Ok-State, Texas Tech, and two others (Baylor, TCU, Kansas, K-State?) go to the PAC-12, IMO.
Colorado goes to Pac12 before KU or KSU.

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Could you imagine Michigan, Penn St, Ohio State at Bobby Dodd ? Just thinking about it makes me want season tickets !

I love love love this! Add in Mich St, Wisc, and Iowa to the excitement.

Let’s swap us for Rutgers (who is an embarrassment to BigTen).

Frankly, I‘m bored to **** with the ACC. NC State? Syracuse? Pitt? Boring and they’re irrelevant. I don’t really care for UMiami, either.
I being likely far more judicious with my entertainment dollars than the loyal others here… give me a BigTen schedule and I’ll chip in the same.

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
The “Maryland area” is also know as Washington, D.C. Washington has tons more B1G alumni than Atlanta. ATL can’t even hold a candle to D.C. when it comes to that. Other cities with more B1G alumni than Atlanta include: San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York, and Denver.

As of now, GT relies on opposing fans to fill BDS. The only sellouts that occur nowadays are when the majority of seats are filled with the opposing team’s colors. If Maryland (the D.C. market) and Rutgers (the New York market) can’t rely on their large, local B1G alumni bases to fill seats, why do you think Georgia Tech can? As I pointed out in Maryland’s case, I’m sure ticket sells would skyrocket for a couple of years until every B1G team has rotated through Atlanta, but after that it’ll be the same old story.

Clemson is a local team, a conference rival, and a historical rival. There are plenty of Clemson fans who have friends, family, coworkers, and see strangers who are GT fans. Their campus is a little over 2 hours from Atlanta. Countless alumni live in the ATL, I’d be willing to bet my life more than any B1G team. I’m positive they would have more interest in attending a game at BDS than anyone from Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Penn State, etc. after the novelty of Atlanta wore off after a couple of trips. Same goes for Miami and Florida State.

I agree with everything said here…. But as is well-known, it’s about the media/tv dollars. In this current (crazy/ridiculous) age of amateur athletics money due in absolute part to extraordinary TV contracts, who cares how people show up in person at a game anymore? It’s irrelevant in this landscape.

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't know the stats on Maryland area, but Atlanta is home is the largest B1G alumni base outside of the midwest. I believe only Chicago and Indianapolis...maybe Cincy have a larger B1G alumni base than Atlanta.

Let's be honest, it's not like GT is killing it with attendence in the ACC anyhow. Even if we remain the same, we would be pocketing WAY more money from the B1G than staying in the ACC. Attendence is an excuse for those that just don't want to change when it really isn't an issue for us anyhow. We're not Clemson or UGA with fans that actually like to travel...heck, a lot of fans don't even go to home games.
All of these B1G posts ignore grant of rights. Our best hope is getting two of texas, Oklahoma, ND, or Navy.

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
this is old if someone has newer , why would leave to come to the ACC ?

ConferenceFY 2015FY 2016FY 2017FY 2018FY 2019
SEC$32.7M$40.4M$41M$43.7M
Big 10$32.4M$34.8M$37M$54M
ACC$26.2M$23.8M$26.6M$29.5M
Big 12$23.4M$28.5M$34.3M$36.5M$38.8M
Pac 12$25.1M$28.7M$30.9M$31.3M
The big 12 number is bolstered because it’s only 10 schools rather than 12. Espn and fox did them a solid and didn’t cut their payout when they lost texas A&M and mizzou

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
The big 12 number is bolstered because it’s only 10 schools rather than 12. Espn and fox did them a solid and didn’t cut their payout when they lost texas A&M and mizzou
The ACC and Pac-12 need to merge into a conference (errrrr. television deal) for football and cut the dead weight. No damn way either survive with the money the B1G and SEC gets. Those two need to form a third super power conference.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
The Braves played in the NL West for years. 10:05 pm starts for Dodgers, Giants, and Padres.
Yep and the faithful was dragging the next morning at work. It would be a strain on academics. They would have to go out on a Thursday and back Saturday night or Sunday, It would be tough

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
new times new commissioner, just yesterday he was talking about good things coming with Comcast, who knows what he is or isn’t working on. We knew Swafford was a NC area guy, hope the new guy is a total conference person, he better be for the conferences sake
JP has ZERO ties, affiliations, or allegiances to the North Carolina mafia. He will do what is best for the ACC, not what is best for Duke/UNC. He is innovative, creative, and forward-thinking. He navigated the whole "union" push by the athletes several years ago, satisfying the wants and needs of the student-athletes while maintaining institutional control at Northwestern. I believe that he will make the ND thing happen if anyone can. He has strong ties to the B1G and was approached about being the Michigan AD when that spot last opened and withdrew at the final table for the Commissionership of the B1G. He was an assistant AD at Notre Dame and at Tennessee. He knows how the B1G and the SEC play. Knowing the man, I have full confidence the ACC is in as good of hands as it could be.