Expansion Talk 2021

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
CBS reporting Texas and Oklahoma to SEC next week. ACC offered spots to both but were rebuffed. Neither team attended Big 12 meeting last night

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
CBS reporting Texas and Oklahoma to SEC next week. ACC offered spots to both but were rebuffed. Neither team attended Big 12 meeting last night
I get why they didn’t choose ACC but give ACC credit for trying. Hopefully it’s a sign they’ll be aggressive in this next wave of conference realignment. Gotta imagine ND is the highest priority

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
OK, get ND in the ACC fold ASAP. Pick a second team that adds fans and/or prestige without having joke academics. This means Navy instead of WV.

But, thinking outside of the box, who are some other big name schools we could go after?

slugboy

Staff member
The $$$ difference is a huge factor. Texas vs LSU and Arkansas and other schools in driving distance probably also plays a factor.

What the ACC does next will be interesting. This wasn’t done on a whim, and a last minute “hey, why not us?” isn’t a strong play.

The remaining B12 teams might be stuck while their grants of rights are in place.

For the B12, it looks like about 18 months of penalty, so TX and OU can handle this:

Clemson may be getting restless feet about now.

Unless Clemson or FSU have a way around the 15 year grants of rights, I’m not sure how much being restless matters. After Maryland, the ACC lashed all the boats together pretty firmly.

Last edited:

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
OK, get ND in the ACC fold ASAP. Pick a second team that adds fans and/or prestige without having joke academics. This means Navy instead of WV.

But, thinking outside of the box, who are some other big name schools we could go after?
I don’t think it means Navy. Navy just can’t keep up in the ever growing arms race of CFB. Maybe go after OK ST? Catch A&M on the rebound? It’s gotta be a splash move and Navy just isn’t that. Love watching Navy FB but it’s not the right move.
I would put feelers to PSU, they’ve never really felt at home in B1G and that’s a big $$ program.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The $$$ difference is a huge factor. Texas vs LSU and Arkansas and other schools in driving distance probably also plays a factor.

What the ACC does next will be interesting. This wasn’t done on a whim, and a last minute “hey, why not us?” isn’t a strong play.

The remaining B12 teams might be stuck while their grants of rights are in place.
I have thoughts about who in which conference can get past GORs.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Reports are now saying the talks have been in the works for 6+ months, WITHOUT texas a&m input, but input from all other $ec teams. Could texas a&m leave and join ACC along with ND? On xfinity and comcast come on board, we really won't be that far behind the Big 10 and $ec in money. What does Navy, West Virginia add to the ACC? Nothing. Gimme Penn St any day along with ND

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
So if they did re-align to non-geographic conferences (not happening), what would the conference names be?

Maybe
SEC => Super Easy Classes
ACC => Also Considered Conference
BIG => Buckeyes Increase Glory

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
So if they did re-align to non-geographic conferences (not happening), what would the conference names be?

Maybe
SEC => Super Easy Classes
ACC => Also Considered Conference
BIG => Buckeyes Increase Glory
I just really think PAC survives. They add Boise and 3 more Big 12 teams (the three remaining TX teams have already reached out) and they’re set.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Reports are now saying the talks have been in the works for 6+ months, WITHOUT texas a&m input, but input from all other $ec teams. Could texas a&m leave and join ACC along with ND? On xfinity and comcast come on board, we really won't be that far behind the Big 10 and $ec in money. What does Navy, West Virginia add to the ACC? Nothing. Gimme Penn St any day along with ND
I too prefer ND and Penn State. I think Texas A&M loses their recruiting if they leave the SEC and becomes mediocre.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The “Maryland area” is also know as Washington, D.C. Washington has tons more B1G alumni than Atlanta. ATL can’t even hold a candle to D.C. when it comes to that. Other cities with more B1G alumni than Atlanta include: San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York, and Denver.

As of now, GT relies on opposing fans to fill BDS. The only sellouts that occur nowadays are when the majority of seats are filled with the opposing team’s colors. If Maryland (the D.C. market) and Rutgers (the New York market) can’t rely on their large, local B1G alumni bases to fill seats, why do you think Georgia Tech can? As I pointed out in Maryland’s case, I’m sure ticket sells would skyrocket for a couple of years until every B1G team has rotated through Atlanta, but after that it’ll be the same old story.

Clemson is a local team, a conference rival, and a historical rival. There are plenty of Clemson fans who have friends, family, coworkers, and see strangers who are GT fans. Their campus is a little over 2 hours from Atlanta. Countless alumni live in the ATL, I’d be willing to bet my life more than any B1G team. I’m positive they would have more interest in attending a game at BDS than anyone from Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Penn State, etc. after the novelty of Atlanta wore off after a couple of trips. Same goes for Miami and Florida State.

You are correct. My memory is getting fuzzy on me. It seems DC (or Washington in the article) is one of the Big 4 cities B1G graduates flock to.

Atlanta actually is definitely in the top 6-7, and the biggest in the Southeast. I wonder where the numbers now stand now since the data is from 2018...before the pandemic.

My point was there is enough B1G alumni to support attendance at GT...and there will definitely be more interest in GT fans going to games with Ohio State/Michigan/Penn State/Mich State/etc than NC State or Wake Forest. There's a reason why GT makes it more difficult get to tickets in years where Clemson and UGA appear on the schedule.

The north is bigger on pro sports than college sports. College sports is a way of life in the south, especially college football. In the end it really doesn't matter because it's not like GT fan attendance away and at home is sterling, is it? If our attendance remains status quo, I'd rather take the bigger media pay check that the B1G affords than the smaller ACC.

It would be interesting to see the ages for people for and the ages of people against going to the B1G. I would venture to guess the older demographic is against the B1G and the younger demographic is for it.

Vespid

Jolly Good Fellow
There seems to be a disconnect about what the GOR actually is. If I understand it correctly, the Grant of Media Rights agreements/contracts exist between the individual schools and the conference, in absentia of who the media entity or association is. Think about that for a minute....or two. It may be a bigger deal or hurtle than some of yous guyz are giving it.

It's kind of like an alimony settlement agreement. If we, (GT) left for a mistress, for the next 15 years, regardless if our income stream went up, down, or who our employers name happens to be, we'd have to give most of our income to our ex, (ACC). Capeesh? The ex wife, or ACC, could care less the name of the company paying us or for that matter, the name of her employer even if it happened to be a competitor of our employer, or if we swapped employers somewhere down the road, worked for the same employer, or if her employer fired her or re-negotiated her compensation package. She still gets the lions share of whatever we make......for 15 years.

Last edited: