Expansion Talk 2021

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Here's the thing with WVU. No one wants them. No one. In 2011-12 when realignment exploded, the ACC and the B1G both passed hard on them. They were lucky that the Big XII was desperate at the time or they'd already be a G5 team. No one wants them. We might end up stuck with them if we manage to lure ND. I'd still rather have Navy as the 16th though...
Another non reason. Lots of things that were once unwanted turned out great.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Having WV in the ACC is institutionalizing the academic standards that made the NC programs successful - have academics easy enough to keep ANY athlete in school and eligible. There would be a significant advantage to their program versus universities that have higher standards.
No there wouldn't. They're not a bit different than every other program in our conference, GT notwithstanding. The academics of the school is very little reflected by its sports. GT is a little different - just a little.

SimpleGT

Jolly Good Fellow
No there wouldn't. They're not a bit different than every other program in our conference, GT notwithstanding. The academics of the school is very little reflected by its sports. GT is a little different - just a little.
Agree to disagree. Their easiest degree program available to athletes has to be significantly easier than anything other ACC programs offer with their academic ranking. If WV athletes don't need to worry about actually making progress/passing classes to play they have an advantage

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I never said I’m against anything. I’ve said if this alliance thinks they can come up with a plan then so be it. I just don’t think it will work. As someone else stated, within the alliance you’ll have issues. Is the Big now gonna be the big dog telling the ACC what to do? That won’t last because hopefully southern schools like GT, FSU, and Miami won’t bow down to some Northwestern or Mich State bureaucrat. Look at what the Big tried to do regarding the virus. They were the first ones screaming to shut it down. That won’t work.

I just think the rush of this alliance is ridiculous. The SEC made a great move for their conference. Swofford should have done this long ago with ND and someone else. Most of my posts have been responding to folks like you who put fake words out there about me. Just because I can say my enemy made a great move doesn’t mean I like them. I don’t like Finebaum but the dude is good at his job. I don’t like Bama, but my god they run an incredible football program which Collins is trying to emulate. I don’t like Sankey but the guy has been money for the SEC.
I think it can work -

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
What about a round robin of all the conference champions the next year? Gives entertaining match ups and allows for a potential changing of the guard.
ACC champ vs Big 10 champ and PAC 12 champ
Big 10 vs ACC and PAC 12
PAC 12 vs ACC and Big 10
Set one game up first of the year. One mid year and one end of year…

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
No. There is a finite upper limit of money that can be reasonably spent on the product. The total $$ amount being spent now is near that limit. Adding teams would get you a bigger portion, but each team you add would lessen the overall amount because you edge closer to the upper limit. Other businesses have ran into this problem before. Growth eventually plateaus.

yes there is a finite amount of money that would be paid as things are. How have you identified the upper limit though ? Other businesses excel in one or two products they lack the ability to merge without consuming one another. In the end if Coke and Pepsi merged the final product would be Coke or Pepsi, they couldn’t capture or hold the other consumer. In football the product gets better With a “merger”. The SEC can capture and hold The Penn State fans, Ohio State fans and the Michigan fans because those teams don’t actually merge away, their value remains alive and it would come to the SEC ( as it would any other conference ). I mean do you think The ACC would get Approx the same TV contract if those teams joined them ? Their is only a combining of the people who are following Not the actual product. Right now if The SEC had a following of 30 million those 30 don’t go away if others join. Each team brings its own fans. If fans = followers and followers = viewers the then viewership value to ESPN or whoever televised the conference would increase, so would advertisement value. Advertisers alone would pay more because they are reaching the additional fans over and above the 30 million. Any network that can get its hands on a Alabama vs Ohio State game or Michigan vs Georgia, locked in for 5 years in a regular schedule would pay big because they would be adding more value to the TV package.

I agree growth plateaus but we ain’t at the plateau point in college football. The plateau point for a conference would be when that conference has all of the top drawing teams, as long as a conference can improve so can it’s finances. Do you not think adding those 3 teams would increase the size, quality and value of the SEC substantially ?

why do businesses add “extra large” to their offerings ? It’s because people pay more when they think they are getting more.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Here's the thing with WVU. No one wants them. No one. In 2011-12 when realignment exploded, the ACC and the B1G both passed hard on them. They were lucky that the Big XII was desperate at the time or they'd already be a G5 team. No one wants them. We might end up stuck with them if we manage to lure ND. I'd still rather have Navy as the 16th though...
Nah if we lure ND we can add Tulane or something to balance that out and add that market place, would be worth alot more than WV and it would be adding a game in NO for people. Navy would work as well but the ACC won't go for an option school and service academy not while memories of paul Johnson linger anywhere. Tulane i think is rated in teh top 50 schools nationally , Tulane is also an AAU school. Are they forever going to be second fiddle to LSU in the state of LA, yep. But get into that market.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
The entire WV topic is totally inconsistent and at times displays the arrogance that I think plagues the ACC. Academics and sports are two separate things. They don’t complete a mathematical equation in order to score a TD. Half of the people here dont think WV holds academic candle to The ACC ( what’s that got to do with football or any other sport ? ), A quarter don’t think they bring TV value and yet another quarter say they think conference realignment is about eyeballs. It can’t be all of these. If it’s eyeballs WV is the 3rd or 4th largest school that would be in The ACC, if it’s really an academic standard then the ACC needs to get out of the football conversations, because they really aren’t even trying to compete at any serious level with the SEC. Finally if it’s about WV not being upper crust enough for the almighty Louisville’s and North Carolina’s then maybe The ACC should just commit to a hostile takeover of The Ivy League and just shut up.

heres another point, IF ND said tomorrow that they would come IF WV was allowed in everyone of you would become WV fans

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
We all know deep down in our hearts that the reason the Alliance dosent have a binding contract with one another on anything is because they don’t want to get locked into one. The individual schools don’t want to be bound to anyone or anything that dosent hold their complete best interest. who knows what’s coming ? Do any of you buy the ‘we are all men of our words’ rah rah displayed today ? The act they put on about morality, ethics and loyalty was almost funny. These conferences are still made up of the same presidents who didn’t budge an inch until The Supreme Court forced them to. Given an opportunity to enhance their own positions they would just fire their commissioner and say they decided to go a different direction.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
From Dennis Dodds CBS article today

The risk for ESPN is losing all or part of a college sports property that is approaching the NCAA Tournament in annual value ($1 billion).

"I think there's a good chance we'll just run out the term [of the ESPN contract]," said one CFP source involved in the expansion process. "ESPN can sit on its rights. You have to get them to agree to participate and allow somebody else in. That was always a long shot."

‘Those in charge are getting past the point of fan outrage if the four-team bracket plays out over the next five years. In that time, the original $7.2 billion deal could be worth three times that amount. ‘

to those who think the value of College football has a plateau, this is just The CFP over 5 years, as it is now. 7.2 Billion value x 3 = 21.6 Billion in the new contract. We ain’t there yet.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I'm going to say something that will made most ( all ) on here pissed off. If the idea to havt more teams in the playoffs and everyone doesn't want 3 or 4 SEC teams in the playoff than make it a rule that all conferences must play 10 conference games . ( and yes I know as great as the SEC is at cheating they would work it out where 4 teams get an easy schedule)
The problem with that is they would take an 8-4 Mississippi State I’ve a 10-2 GT.

bhoffman123

Georgia Tech Fan
I won't shed any tears at all if we no longer play UGA. The game is miserable to attend, does not affect any kind of conference standing, and lives in some of our fans heads way too much. Good riddance if it gets dropped.
It will seem very strange yelling "To Hell With Georgia" if they are no longer an active rivalry.