Expansion Talk 2021

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
IF IF IF true... the ACC taking just 1 might a good sign that you know who is joining as well..... Probably wishful thinking
If the Alliance holds tough on the playoff negotiations (i.e. conf champs only) they can force ND into a conference. I hope this all works out and they are able to keep the SEC in check without alienating them into their own league or whatever. It would be interesting to know what percentage of college football fans across the country are either sick to death of the SEC or just flat-out hate them? Or don’t care about them unless a team they are interested in is playing them?

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Now that there are only 4 remaining "power" conferences, I am fairly certain that when the current playoff expansion is finally approved, we will see auto bids for conference champions included, and that it will also be revised to put ND at a disadvantage unless they join a conference. I think everyone but ND is tired of the "independent" bit...
Is the Big12 officially toast? I was hoping that they might add a couple teams like Boise and BYU and stick it to OK and TX for the $$$ owed

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

Dillon Davis
@dillondavis3
·
4h

Fox Sports analyst and former Pitt football coach Dave Wannstedt went on
@670TheScore
in Chicago this morning and said he heard the following Big 12 news at the Fox meetings last week in Phoenix: - OSU and KSU to the Pac-12 - WVU to the ACC - KU and Iowa State to the Big Ten
WVU is an excellent choice for the ACC. An instant rival of Pitt, VT, and UVa. Rivalries are the lifeblood of college football.

"In 2019, which was the last year schools were allowed to have fans at games, West Virginia averaged 55,907 fans per home football game which was good for 27th-best in the country. That put them ahead of 11 ACC schools..."

Recently, WVU released a video on Twitter that details some of the advanced research that the university is doing such as seeking a cure for Alzheimer's, discovering solutions to the nationwide opioid epidemic, launching new ways of producing energy such as shale gas conversion, and transforming carbon into 21st-century manufacturing possibilities among several other studies. This allows WVU to be classified as an R1 Research Universities in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Is the Big12 officially toast? I was hoping that they might add a couple teams like Boise and BYU and stick it to OK and TX for the $$$ owed

As a "power" conference they are. UT and OU are waiting to leave so they don't lose money. There's no good path forward for them. They might keep the name, but their value is gone.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
WVU is an excellent choice for the ACC. An instant rival of Pitt, VT, and UVa. Rivalries are the lifeblood of college football.

"In 2019, which was the last year schools were allowed to have fans at games, West Virginia averaged 55,907 fans per home football game which was good for 27th-best in the country. That put them ahead of 11 ACC schools..."

Recently, WVU released a video on Twitter that details some of the advanced research that the university is doing such as seeking a cure for Alzheimer's, discovering solutions to the nationwide opioid epidemic, launching new ways of producing energy such as shale gas conversion, and transforming carbon into 21st-century manufacturing possibilities among several other studies. This allows WVU to be classified as an R1 Research Universities in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education.
Uva has played WV once since 1985. Hell of a rivalry.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
The consensus elsewhere is that Wannstedt is just regurgitating the same things being speculated all along but knows nothing. WV to the ACC makes no sense, they do not add value and its terrible academically. Louisville, the butt of all ACC jokes for being dumb, ranks 176th nationally. WV is 241st. It is better for the ACC to do nothing, there is no reason to save WV from dropping to G5.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
The consensus elsewhere is that Wannstedt is just regurgitating the same things being speculated all along but knows nothing. WV to the ACC makes no sense, they do not add value and its terrible academically. Louisville, the butt of all ACC jokes for being dumb, ranks 176th nationally. WV is 241st. It is better for the ACC to do nothing, there is no reason to save WV from dropping to G5.
...but…but…but…I’m sure WV’s engineering program ranks way up there with (u)GA’s…

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
This is absolutely true.... IF the move to add WV isn't to remain balanced with the addition of Notre Dame. ND doesn't have any special bond with WV but ND may want a 16th team to remain balanced.

slugboy

Staff member
I know an engineer from WVU, and he’s done very well and done good work. I’ve met plenty of great grads from the area.

Now, this only makes sense if WVU widens the revenue stream by adding a profitable bowl game, increasing the payouts from our media contract more than one more team divides it, or somehow boosts the per-school revenue. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I know an engineer from WVU, and he’s done very well and done good work. I’ve met plenty of great grads from the area.

Now, this only makes sense if WVU widens the revenue stream by adding a profitable bowl game, increasing the payouts from our media contract more than one more team divides it, or somehow boosts the per-school revenue. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
They probably won't immediately, but in the long run I believe they will. Everyone wants to know what they bring right now, but the long view will see the possibilities of adding a team in our footprint who will be natural rivals to several teams in its vicinity. The money will follow. Those who pay attention to regional rivalries, the lifeblood of college football, will be rewarded in the future.

Last edited:

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
That's because they were always in different conferences. But they're in neighboring states, so looking ahead it isn't hard to see they would become natural rivals. WVU will be at home in the ACC.
That is one of the things that I highlighted in the David Hale article. He stated ".....the ACC, Big Ten and Pac-12, which prioritize academic profile and an expansive set of Olympic sports, don't overlap much with universities like West Virginia and TCU." You might disagree that it is a big issue, but it is apparent to more people that just a few of us on this forum. In my opinion, Louisville seems out of place in the ACC also. They can play football, and they can play basketball, but they feel like the annoying kid who came from the next neighborhood over who gets on everyone's nerves.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
That is one of the things that I highlighted in the David Hale article. He stated ".....the ACC, Big Ten and Pac-12, which prioritize academic profile and an expansive set of Olympic sports, don't overlap much with universities like West Virginia and TCU." You might disagree that it is a big issue, but it is apparent to more people that just a few of us on this forum. In my opinion, Louisville seems out of place in the ACC also. They can play football, and they can play basketball, but they feel like the annoying kid who came from the next neighborhood over who gets on everyone's nerves.
Big deal. Again, no real reason why it matters. Just a vague, "They're annoying". They don't "jibe".

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Big deal.
It is when you the conference has meetings to decide what they want to do. I imagine that Louisville feels very out of place at the moment, and they are overruled by the rest of the conference. Add WVU and you will have two teams who will disagree with the rest of the conference on a lot of issues. If you think the gap between the ACC and SEC is bad now, what will it be if the conference spends more time fighting amongst themselves than working to be a competitive product to the SEC? If you don't think that is a very strong possibility, you are mistaken.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
It is when you the conference has meetings to decide what they want to do. I imagine that Louisville feels very out of place at the moment, and they are overruled by the rest of the conference. Add WVU and you will have two teams who will disagree with the rest of the conference on a lot of issues. If you think the gap between the ACC and SEC is bad now, what will it be if the conference spends more time fighting amongst themselves than working to be a competitive product to the SEC? If you don't think that is a very strong possibility, you are mistaken.
Piffle. Sound and fury, signifying nothing. Another contrived non reason.

SimpleGT

Jolly Good Fellow
Having WV in the ACC is institutionalizing the academic standards that made the NC programs successful - have academics easy enough to keep ANY athlete in school and eligible. There would be a significant advantage to their program versus universities that have higher standards.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Here's the thing with WVU. No one wants them. No one. In 2011-12 when realignment exploded, the ACC and the B1G both passed hard on them. They were lucky that the Big XII was desperate at the time or they'd already be a G5 team. No one wants them. We might end up stuck with them if we manage to lure ND. I'd still rather have Navy as the 16th though...