Expansion Talk 2021

slugboy

Staff member
One thing to keep in mind is that
  • While the SEC commissioner was secretly negotiating with TX and OU
  • He was also negotiating with other commissioners for a 12-team playoff
  • And pushed for no conference cap
  • While OU is frequently a playoff contender, or actually in the playoffs
If this leaked a month or two later, the playoffs would be set with the SEC likely to have 1/3rd of the playoff field with 4 teams. In a good year, the B1G or ACC might get 2. In a very good year, the SEC could have 5. Aside from the regular season contract, that's even more revenue disparity.

You think the other commissioners might trust Greg Sankey even less this month than they did last month?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
One thing to keep in mind is that
  • While the SEC commissioner was secretly negotiating with TX and OU
  • He was also negotiating with other commissioners for a 12-team playoff
  • And pushed for no conference cap
  • While OU is frequently a playoff contender, or actually in the playoffs
If this leaked a month or two later, the playoffs would be set with the SEC likely to have 1/3rd of the playoff field with 4 teams. In a good year, the B1G or ACC might get 2. In a very good year, the SEC could have 5. Aside from the regular season contract, that's even more revenue disparity.

You think the other commissioners might trust Greg Sankey even less this month than they did last month?
The vote for the expanded playoffs is supposed to take place in September. I think it is obvious that the SEC would have preferred that no-one know about TX and OK joining the SEC until after that vote.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
If there is a 12-team playoff, you're going to have the absurdity of the teams in it ranging from undefeated to having 2 losses.
2-loss teams do not belong in the playoffs.
GT was a couple of games away from getting into the playoffs with two losses in 2014. GT would have had to beat FSU, probably decisively. Missouri would have had to have beaten Alabama decisively and Wisconsin would have had to have beaten Ohio State decisively. If those things had happened, then GT had a good chance of making it.

If those things had happened and Arizona had beaten Oregon, there wouldn't have been enough 1 loss teams to fill out the bracket, so a two loss team would have been in whether GT or not.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I am sure that Finebaum agrees with you. Not everybody believes all of the SEC marketing hype.
You obviously watch Finebaum way more than me. I haven’t watched him since last season because he is a bore. And you keep bringing up hype. The SEC is not hype. They kick everyone’s butts. I hate that they do but they do. I just watched the College World Series and they had both teams in it. Sure NC State got hosed and our Commissioner did nothing. I guarantee you that if Mississippi State was getting hosed that Sankey would have been all over it. As for football, the SEC has won the last 2 titles by two different schools with two different coaching staffs. And both those teams were dominant. They’ve won 11 of the past 20. They also dominate gymnastics, track and field, and show up in the NCAA tourney as much as the ACC has lately.

How is that marketing hype? Marketing hype is what we see from Michigan and Miami every year. All the SEC does is build better facilities, hire and pay better assistant coaches, and lure talented players. That’s not marketing hype. That’s a business model that works. Sure, their players are morons and their they have meaningless degree programs but that doesn’t matter to the athletic department.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
GT was a couple of games away from getting into the playoffs with two losses in 2014. GT would have had to beat FSU, probably decisively. Missouri would have had to have beaten Alabama decisively and Wisconsin would have had to have beaten Ohio State decisively. If those things had happened, then GT had a good chance of making it.

If those things had happened and Arizona had beaten Oregon, there wouldn't have been enough 1 loss teams to fill out the bracket, so a two loss team would have been in whether GT or not.
I'm not for expanding the playoffs to absurdity just because it would improve our chances of making it. Almost every team could say the same exact thing, that it would increase their chances of making it. If they expanded it to 24 teams, we'd have an even better chance of making it.

Under the rules of expanded playoff, in 2014 we would have been in as we were ranked 12th.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I'm not for expanding the playoffs to absurdity just because it would improve our chances of making it. Almost every team could say the same exact thing, that it would increase their chances of making it. If they expanded it to 24 teams, we'd have an even better chance of making it.
I didn't say anything about an expanded playoffs improving our chances of making it. I was specifically responding to your statement that a 2 loss team should not belonging in the playoffs. It is very easy to see a scenario in which a two loss team would be in a four team playoff. In fact, 2014 was extremely close to having that happen.

About an expanded playoff, if your argument against it is that a 2 loss team might make it in, then that is a silly argument. In 2011, the NFL champions were a .500 team. (well, not quite but 9-7)

I didn't say anything about an expanded playoffs improving our chances of making it. I was specifically responding to your statement that a 2 loss team should not belonging in the playoffs. It is very easy to see a scenario in which a two loss team would be in a four team playoff. In fact, 2014 was extremely close to having that happen.

About an expanded playoff, if your argument against it is that a 2 loss team might make it in, then that is a silly argument. In 2011, the NFL champions were a .500 team. (well, not quite but 9-7)
Actually for play off there would have been 6 2 or more loss teams in. We had 3 losses along with Kansas St. and Arizona. But as the playoff committee says, did we look like a top ten team I believe the answer was yes.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer

That's a tragedy, in my opinion. If you can't win your conference you shouldn't be able to win the natty. Full stop.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
But it didn't, and it would be an extremely rare occurrence under the four-team playoff system.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
For the same reason I don't like to watch minor league baseball, U19 soccer, and junior hurling. It's an inferior product and I know it's an inferior product. Yes, it's MY team, but I don't think I'd have as much interest in GT Football if we would have gone to 1AA back in the early 80's like Pettit wanted to do. Everyone has their preferences, that's mine. I'd still want us to win, but I wouldn't care as much.
College football is an inferior product to the NFL, why do you watch it?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The NFL playoff system is also overbloated, because it is inevitable that a losing team will one day make the playoffs.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The fact that many of you believe the playoffs may not expand tells me we have a bunch of young posters. The idea that the playoffs won’t expand is like the idea that Apple won’t come out with a new version of the iPhone. Expansion has nothing to do with what is in the best interests of student athletes or individual conferences or “alliances” of conferences. It comes down to TV money and that’s it. The alliance will not stop expansion because expansion lines their pockets as much as it does the SEC. Those of you who put virtuous attributes behind any alliance’s plans are just naive. Things like they want to save the sport, or keep long established traditions in place, or my favorite of keeping the student in student-athlete are just fantasyland. You might as well just ask your mommy to read you another bedtime story. All the conferences are used car salesmen looking to maximize the dollar they get. The playoffs will expand just like the vultures expanded the NCAA tourney.

Believe me, I also use to be young and dumb and believed the BCS was gonna be awesome and that fairness would rule just like when mommy would tuck me in at night. We see how fair that was and how long that lasted. The only question is how long will it take them to negotiate splitting up the money. All this other stuff is just semantics.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
College football is an inferior product to the NFL, why do you watch it?
Not really. NFL lacks the innovation you see in the college game. College football is actually a superior product with less skilled players across the board. The same situation as with college basketball versus the NBA. College is a far superior product.