Expansion Talk 2021

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
They really bring no TV market to add anything to the conference. They would dilute per team revenue.
Sigh. I guess this is what college football has come to - a desperate, short-sighted money grub, with no thought of creating or maintaining natural, regional rivalries. It's going to result in a colossal mess. and a further decline in fan interest. Huge mega-leagues with no regional integrity. We'll see how that works out. They're forgetting what made college football great to begin with.

yjack

Jolly Good Fellow
Sigh. I guess this is what college football has come to - a desperate, short-sighted money grub, with no thought of creating or maintaining natural, regional rivalries. It's going to result in a colossal mess. and a further decline in fan interest. Huge mega-leagues with no regional integrity. We'll see how that works out. They're forgetting what made college football great to begin wi
Not short sighted. Decreased revenue results in a decreased product on the field. Increased revenue, with corresponding worthy hires, increases the on field product. The bottom line always had to be the focus. Big time college football use big business, like it or not.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2897

I’ll give it to the Sports Excellence Conference - they never sit still and innovate. Too bad they don’t put 1/100th that energy and creativity to try and get their schools’ academic reputations out of the trash can.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Not short sighted. Decreased revenue results in a decreased product on the field. Increased revenue, with corresponding worthy hires, increases the on field product. The bottom line always had to be the focus. Big time college football use big business, like it or not.
I see decreased revenue down the road.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I’ll give it to the Sports Excellence Conference - they never sit still and innovate. Too bad they don’t put 1/100th that energy and creativity to try and get their schools’ academic reputations out of the trash can.

Actually, they do (as far as I understand things) execute their mission effectively. Academics fall outside of their purview. That should be left to others (Presidents and Board of Regents or whomever).

Adding Texas and OU is an innovative move as you say by the SEC leadership. If the ACC counters with WV and UCF (or similar schools) for example it would be the type of move that the ACC office has historically made. Reactive. And weak. It is time for the ACC to step and get a cup of coffee in the closers lounge.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Actually, they do (as far as I understand things) execute their mission effectively. Academics fall outside of their purview. That should be left to others (Presidents and Board of Regents or whomever).

Adding Texas and OU is an innovative move as you say by the SEC leadership. If the ACC counters with WV and UCF (or similar schools) for example it would be the type of move that the ACC office has historically made. Reactive. And weak. It is time for the ACC to step and get a cup of coffee in the closers lounge.
Remember this?

COLLEGES; Miami to Join A.C.C.; Shift of Power Expected - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

The University of Miami said today that it would leave the Big East Conference for the Atlantic Coast Conference, joining Virginia Tech in a move that immediately transforms the A.C.C. into a college football powerhouse.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Sigh. I guess this is what college football has come to - a desperate, short-sighted money grub, with no thought of creating or maintaining natural, regional rivalries. It's going to result in a colossal mess. and a further decline in fan interest. Huge mega-leagues with no regional integrity. We'll see how that works out. They're forgetting what made college football great to begin with.
I agree. If all I cared about was watching one good football team play another good football team, there’s already a league that provides that far better than college football ever could, and it has a longer season and rules that keep the teams somewhat competitive with each other. And I don’t need cable to watch it.

yjack

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree. If all I cared about was watching one good football team play another good football team, there’s already a league that provides that far better than college football ever could, and it has a longer season and rules that keep the teams somewhat competitive with each other. And I don’t need cable to watch it.
But if you care about seeing GT as competitive as possible it takes money to provide the facilities, support structure, and staff.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
But if you care about seeing GT as competitive as possible it takes money to provide the facilities, support structure, and staff.
I was making a commentary on why the SEC super league is a bad idea. It’s basically trying to be the NFL, which it will never be able to compete with by mimicking it. I don’t see what my financial support of Tech has to do with my lack of interest in watching NFL Lite.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Rumors in the last 24 hours that Dabo is secretly petitioning the SEC to accept Clemson. I think everyone on this thread expects the SEC to go after Clemson and FSU.

But if there’s any truth to the rumors and our worst fears come true, then seeing WV as our salvation looks even more futile.

Wish I knew what Tech is doing / thinking behind the scenes.

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Well, they're a fish out of water in the Big 12, but fall central in the ACC footprint. I would be glad to have them in our conference.
Who are they? (I get so damned sick and tired of every linked site demanding you jump through hoops to see their freaking content)

yjack

Jolly Good Fellow
Rumors in the last 24 hours that Dabo is secretly petitioning the SEC to accept Clemson. I think everyone on this thread expects the SEC to go after Clemson and FSU.

But if there’s any truth to the rumors and our worst fears come true, then seeing WV as our salvation looks even more futile.

It wouldn't be Dabo doing the behind the scenes petitioning. It would be DRad and the school president.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
It wouldn't be Dabo doing the behind the scenes petitioning. It would be DRad and the school president.
You would be correct if this is a formal process. I’m thinking this is something different -a back channel attempt to get SEC to make a public overture to Clemson.

But to be fair, I am rumor mongering.

Deleted member 2897

Yea confusing typo on my part, but I think you got the gist - they never sit still, they innovate. Gotta hand it to the SEC - always thinking ahead how to stay ahead on all things sports.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck

Is Clemson ready to give up their media money for the next 15 years?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Is Clemson ready to give up their media money for the next 15 years?
I believe the hope here is that ESPN will balk at paying for the huge TV contract without Clemson and FSU, thereby pushing other schools to jump ship. If enough leave the ACC then GOR probably falls apart. This is precisely the claim the Big 12 commissioner made last week about ESPN and the AAC.