Expansion Talk 2021

yjack

Jolly Good Fellow
Dennis Dodd article suggesting that the SEC's moves may kill any expansion of the playoffs in the short term. Alot of administrators unhappy with the SEC move -especially when they were one of the voices advocating for expansion of the CFP and that other conferences are unlikely to expand the playoffs just so the SEC can get a bunch more teams into it.

Gene Smith, tOSU AD, said the same thing.

Halting playoff expansion talk may be the push needed for ND to join a conference, too.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Dennis Dodd article suggesting that the SEC's moves may kill any expansion of the playoffs in the short term. Alot of administrators unhappy with the SEC move -especially when they were one of the voices advocating for expansion of the CFP and that other conferences are unlikely to expand the playoffs just so the SEC can get a bunch more teams into it.

That would be freaking awesome if they keep it at four teamsand start putting the top four P5 conf. Champs in only. F the sec!

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Gene Smith, tOSU AD, said the same thing.

Halting playoff expansion talk may be the push needed for ND to join a conference, too.
sounds like 12 team playoff dead for now or at minimum vey much still on the drawing board with much distrust right now.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Not certain that the SEC won't just say "bye-bye" and have their own "National Championship" playoffs, whatever the other 4 P-5 conferences do...

Given that the have ESPN's full support, I could see them trying it...

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck

Dodd is also reporting ND will not be joining the ACC anytime soon. Several sites reporting ACC will not make any moves toward expansion until closer to the expiration of current TV contract, over a decade from now In 2035.

if true I see this as the end of the conference in the long run, SEC and Big 10 are about to bury them with their next TV deals.

id take WV rather than sitting still, have to always be moving forward, in my view

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Not certain that the SEC won't just say "bye-bye" and have their own "National Championship" playoffs, whatever the other 4 P-5 conferences do...

Given that the have ESPN's full support, I could see them trying it...
They are determined to go their own way, one way or another. Good riddance if they want to have their own incestuous “championship.”

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Dodd is also reporting ND will not be joining the ACC anytime soon. Several sites reporting ACC will not make any moves toward expansion until closer to the expiration of current TV contract, over a decade from now In 2035.

if true I see this as the end of the conference in the long run, SEC and Big 10 are about to bury them with their next TV deals.

id take WV rather than sitting still, have to always be moving forward, in my view
I don’t like sitting still either but WV will not save a conference, otherwise they would have been snatched up a long time ago.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
It will be interesting to watch. If the SEC bolts the NCAA, would that mean the end of the COFH game until one or both schools make a change?
Good question. The SEC and uga are both giving signals that they don’t need us and they don’t want us.

And since I am a Tech fan, and naturally prone to paranoia, uga has been very good decade after decade at undercutting our recruiting. In approximate order it has been: No girls on campus, calculus, unsafe inner city, high school offense.

This last move might be the coup de gras.
“You don’t want to go to a pretend football organization when you could compete for real national titles and recognition.”

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
This last move might be the coup de gras.
“You don’t want to go to a pretend football organization when you could compete for real national titles and recognition.”
I don't know what will happen in the future. However, if the SEC wants to separate, they will need more teams. They have teams in the Southeast and the Southwest. Will a league made up of only SE and SW teams appeal to the entire country? They will need teams from the NE, Midwest, Northwest, Mid-Atlantic, West, and other parts of the Southwest. The SEC would have to add some of those regions before attempting to separate.

If they attempt to form their own league with 16, or 20, or 24 teams mostly from the Southern USA, the rest of the NCAA might just decide to not allow games against the new league and keep chugging along. Is a football fan in Los Angeles going to watch USC vs Oregon or Alabama vs Florida? Will there be as much excitement about an 8 out of 24 team SEC playoff when they have all played a lot of interconnecting games during the season? MLB intraleague play is no interesting any more. There is no novelty in watching the All-Star Game or the World Series. Currently, there is argument during the season about whether teams like Ohio State or Oklahoma or Alabama are better. The CFP is interesting in part because it puts together teams from different regions who play different styles against different competition. No matter what people in the Southeast think about the SEC, a league of mainly SE teams with a few SW teams will not be very appealing to the rest of the country.

I am not saying that a group can't split from the NCAA and be successful. I am not saying that the SEC cannot be the group to do it. What I am saying is that I don't believe SEC currently cannot accomplish that. They will need more teams to accomplish it, and not solely based on football success. (They would need a presence in the NE, and there aren't any football powerhouses there.)

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I don't know what will happen in the future. However, if the SEC wants to separate, they will need more teams. They have teams in the Southeast and the Southwest. Will a league made up of only SE and SW teams appeal to the entire country? They will need teams from the NE, Midwest, Northwest, Mid-Atlantic, West, and other parts of the Southwest. The SEC would have to add some of those regions before attempting to separate.

If they attempt to form their own league with 16, or 20, or 24 teams mostly from the Southern USA, the rest of the NCAA might just decide to not allow games against the new league and keep chugging along. Is a football fan in Los Angeles going to watch USC vs Oregon or Alabama vs Florida? Will there be as much excitement about an 8 out of 24 team SEC playoff when they have all played a lot of interconnecting games during the season? MLB intraleague play is no interesting any more. There is no novelty in watching the All-Star Game or the World Series. Currently, there is argument during the season about whether teams like Ohio State or Oklahoma or Alabama are better. The CFP is interesting in part because it puts together teams from different regions who play different styles against different competition. No matter what people in the Southeast think about the SEC, a league of mainly SE teams with a few SW teams will not be very appealing to the rest of the country.

I am not saying that a group can't split from the NCAA and be successful. I am not saying that the SEC cannot be the group to do it. What I am saying is that I don't believe SEC currently cannot accomplish that. They will need more teams to accomplish it, and not solely based on football success. (They would need a presence in the NE, and there aren't any football powerhouses there.)
Of course. A very valid consideration.

I was simply pointing out how the SEC in general, and uga in particular, always seem to find a way to gobble up all the oxygen in the room when it comes to recruiting in Georgia and in the South. The current trajectory looks like the steepest test yet for Tech in that regard. We tried being independent in the past, thinking that we could recruit nationally, like Notre Dame, but the SEC footprint tends to cause recruits from other parts of the country to not want to play in the shadow of the SEC. That challenge, as well as recruiting in the South, just got a little harder in the foreseeable future. And it could get a lot harder if the SEC gets its way.

LibertyTurns

Banned
There’s only 2 conferences that are going to matter when the dust settles- SEC & Big 10/11/whatever. Everyone else will be insignificant and fighting over table scraps. GT needs to be in one or the other. Hopefully the ACC merges en masse with the SEC or Big instead of this being a slow death march where the prized teams jump ship leaving GT standing on the outside looking in.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
There’s only 2 conferences that are going to matter when the dust settles- SEC & Big 10/11/whatever. Everyone else will be insignificant and fighting over table scraps. GT needs to be in one or the other.
People forget that there is also basketball to be played and the fact that A LOT of people will be pissed off it comes down to 2 leagues. A huge boycott along the lines of what happened when there was talk of the super premier league could/would happen. If the fans revolt and won’t support something they don’t want, then it’ll be dead before it forms.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
People forget that there is also basketball to be played and the fact that A LOT of people will be pissed off it comes down to 2 leagues. A huge boycott along the lines of what happened when there was talk of the super premier league could/would happen. If the fans revolt and won’t support something they don’t want, then it’ll be dead before it forms.
Basketball doesn't matter in terms of TV money. If we want it to matter, then we need an SEC football like basketball contract for the ACC. And more control over the NCAA post-season tournament where we can place more teams in there, pocket the media money. Then it would be beneficial to go add Kansas and tell ND join up in football or piss off in basketball. But until someone will pay football money for basketball......

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
There’s only 2 conferences that are going to matter when the dust settles- SEC & Big 10/11/whatever. Everyone else will be insignificant and fighting over table scraps. GT needs to be in one or the other. Hopefully the ACC merges en masse with the SEC or Big instead of this being a slow death march where the prized teams jump ship leaving GT standing on the outside looking in.
I think you are 100% right. SEC Commissioner Sankey has complained about the NCAA taking forever to address almost every issue confronting it ... which is a large reason why the SEC is attractive. Loads of cash and able to hire tons of lawyers to figure it out.

Even the NCAA predicted that it would break up into the Top 30 “collegiate championship football“ teams and everyone else. So either the SEC will become a 32 team super conference or ... there will be 2 16 team conferences as they money dries up after that. Teams like Bowling Green will be Wed night fodder.

At this point, I’m all for an SEC/ACC merger and cull the weaker teams.

yjack

Jolly Good Fellow
At this point, I’m all for an SEC/ACC merger and cull the weaker teams.
Define "weaker teams." Obviously, the SEC would come at it from the position of strength and would say who gets culled. I can't see them eliminating any of their own, so it would be ACC schools being left behind. How many teams would/should remain?

LibertyTurns

Banned
Basketball doesn't matter in terms of TV money. If we want it to matter, then we need an SEC football like basketball contract for the ACC. And more control over the NCAA post-season tournament where we can place more teams in there, pocket the media money. Then it would be beneficial to go add Kansas and tell ND join up in football or piss off in basketball. But until someone will pay football money for basketball......
I’m not sure any basketball fans (or Dook, UnC, etc) will be pissed if we added Oh St, Mich, Indiana, Mich St, Md, Ill, etc to our schedule or hold your nose Barn, L$U, Bammer, Usce, Tn, Vandy, etc. One way or another we’re going to come to the fork in the road. We’re either going right towards a big time athletics conference or left to play in an inferior conference with the likes of Xavier, Ecu, Ucf Usf, Uconn, Southern Miss, Ga St, etc.