Expansion Talk 2021

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Isn't Texas A&M already mediocre? They just have a crap ton of alumni and a 100,000 seat stadium always full. That's their allure.
They have been a Top 5 final ranked team twice since joining the SEC. They finished 4th last year! That's better than all of the SEC teams except AL, LSU, UGA and FLA. They are a player especially since they got Jimbo as their coach.

gtjackets930

Jolly Good Fellow
Now THIS is a fantastic point. It’s the exact reason why I keep saying GT joining the B1G would be an act in futility. Sure there would be more money involved, but you’d be moving into a much larger pond as a relatively small fish.
Agreed - we're actually in a decent spot where the ACC now moves to the 3rd best conference in the country behind the SEC and Big10.

If we can snag ND and West Virginia (historic rivalries make for larger TV interest and $$$), I'd be very happy. We remain the premier CBB conference in the country. Was also just reading that the PAC-12 and ACC might combine their TV rights and negotiate together to get a better package.

This is 100% speculation, but I imagine that might make it more attractive for ND to join if there is some scheduling agreement in place with the PAC-12 that would allow them to keep the USC rivalry.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Unless Notre Dame wants in, I don't really see the ACC doing anything here. Nor do I see the Big 10 doing anything. The most likely scenario I can see is that the Big 12 adds some solid G5 teams and continues doing what they are doing. Everyone else just marches along. The Pac 12 could make a play for a couple of Big 12 teams, diluting them a bit more but it won't change much. This will be detrimental for college sports in general though in the long term.

Unless Notre Dame wants in, I don't really see the ACC doing anything here. Nor do I see the Big 10 doing anything. The most likely scenario I can see is that the Big 12 adds some solid G5 teams and continues doing what they are doing. Everyone else just marches along. The Pac 12 could make a play for a couple of Big 12 teams, diluting them a bit more but it won't change much. This will be detrimental for college sports in general though in the long term.
Rumor I heard was West VA to ACC and UConn as FB mber only so ND & Uconn split ACC tv money and West VA get sful share, ESPN will agree to looin and will ensure ACCN is on Comcast by September. Only a Rumor no good source

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Rumor I heard was West VA to ACC and UConn as FB mber only so ND & Uconn split ACC tv money and West VA get sful share, ESPN will agree to looin and will ensure ACCN is on Comcast by September. Only a Rumor no good source
I just don't understand why we would rush out to get WVU and a Uconn or a Cincy as a response to the SEC getting freaking TX and OU. Those aren't remotely on the same level, im not sure it really benefits us that much financially, and it just makes us look desperate.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I just don't understand why we would rush out to get WVU and a Uconn or a Cincy as a response to the SEC getting freaking TX and OU. Those aren't remotely on the same level, im not sure it really benefits us that much financially, and it just makes us look desperate.
The ACC won’t. WVU isn’t coming to the ACC. No chance. ND in for football is the only realistic option but that won’t settle out for a few years as everyone else in the Big 12 and AAC sort themselves out.
There is no need for 16 teams in a league. 15 works just as well. You could go no Divisions circa 2020. 3 pods of 5 could work with the best two overall records playing for the championship regardless of pod.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
The only redeeming thing about WVU is Huggins on the basketball court and I'm not sure hes gonna be around 5 more years. Nothing from football or baseball or other olympic sports moves the needle. I'd rather go get a Canadian school to join. The D2 school that routinely beats syracuse in basketball will do.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
The only redeeming thing about WVU is Huggins on the basketball court and I'm not sure hes gonna be around 5 more years. Nothing from football or baseball or other olympic sports moves the needle. I'd rather go get a Canadian school to join. The D2 school that routinely beats syracuse in basketball will do.
Why do you want any team besides ND to join? No one from the BIg10 or SEC is coming. Money delta is huge.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The one thing I'll give WVU credit for is having a fantastic fan base that travels well. No matter where WVU is playing, there's is a really good contingent of WVU fans that follow them.

Other than that...well...

Techster

Helluva Engineer
One good thing that will come if Texas and OU join the SEC: It will probably shift Alabama and Auburn to the Eastern division. If you think UGA had it tough having to go through 'Bama in the SEC Championship game, imagine their angst knowing they have to beat 'Bama (and Auburn on top of the usual Florida, TN, USCe) just to get to the SEC championship game.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
WVU does nothing for the ACC. What TV market do they bring? Pittsburg is the closest, and Pitt is already in the ACC. ESPN won't pay more money to have WVU in the conference. The ACC will be splitting the same bucket of money to more teams, so a lower payout per team.

UConn is in the 33rd TV market, so it might bring in a little more money.

Kansas might get the ACC into the KC TV market and bring in some money.
Baylor might get the ACC into the Dallas and/or Houston Market -- big $$ for the conference.
OK State would drop down to the 45th to 60th TV market, not sure the market addition would bring in enough money to pay them a 1/16 cut of the media money.
TCU would definitely bring in the Dallas market, so would bring major money to the conference.
Texas Tech doesn't really have a TV market to bring in.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
One good thing that will come if Texas and OU join the SEC: It will probably shift Alabama and Auburn to the Eastern division. If you think UGA had it tough having to go through 'Bama in the SEC Championship game, imagine their angst knowing they have to beat 'Bama (and Auburn on top of the usual Florida, TN, USCe) just to get to the SEC championship game.
The rumor is they are discussion pods instead of divisions. The rumored pod for the mutts is: mutts, UF, USCe, and Kentucky. So they would not play Alabama and Auburn every year. Only UF, USCe, and Kentucky. I think their chances would remain about the same as they currently are in that scenario.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The rumor is they are discussion pods instead of divisions. The rumored pod for the mutts is: mutts, UF, USCe, and Kentucky. So they would not play Alabama and Auburn every year. Only UF, USCe, and Kentucky. I think their chances would remain about the same as they currently are in that scenario.

Don't ruin the dawg nightmare, Ron.... :ROFLMAO: