Everybody wants to hold the baby. Nobody wants to go through labor.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, I agree with you.

That said, Collins is the best recruiter you're likely to get. So, you're going to find out what your recruiting ceiling really is. He's well funded, he's got help he needs, and you're not likely to do better than he can do on the recruiting front.

is your ceiling 25? Is your ceiling 10? We shall see.
O’Leary did ok with recruiting, Gailey was getting it going too the year before he was fired, i don’t really accept or believe that Collins is the only guy who can recruit in the top 25 at Tech

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t think we have to choose between jimmies & joes or x’s & o’s , I still think we can have both .. we may not win natties or even 10 games a year consistently but we can do better than 3 wins a year

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
FWIW, I agree with you.

That said, Collins is the best recruiter you're likely to get. So, you're going to find out what your recruiting ceiling really is. He's well funded, he's got help he needs, and you're not likely to do better than he can do on the recruiting front.

is your ceiling 25? Is your ceiling 10? We shall see.

A 6 or 7 win season this season (attainable in my mind) sure would have made recruiting easier. We'll just have to wait and see what the next 1, 3, 9, and 12 months bring us.

Right now we aren’t seeing our recruiting ceiling though. CGC and Co. have hung around the top 25, but they’ve also only won 9 games in 3 years. If we were playing in a bowl game this year I believe our recruiting potential could be higher than where we’re at. It’s hard to sell recruits when there’s no substance on the field, and being able to pull in solid classes under those circumstances is still impressive. But if the current staff (or any future staff updates) can’t figure out how to put a winning team on the field, recruiting ceilings will be irrelevant.

In essence, this is the experiment, part 2. IF we can win games with the improved recruiting under CGC, does that leverage top 25 recruiting into top 15 recruiting. THAT'S the million dollar question, and the main reason I am willing to give him another year or two.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I think a lot of our inadequacies have got to be coming from the unusual practice routines that Collins has implemented, and all the player love he gives. the AD Really needs to put his foot down on all this BS ”fun” football program that CGC is trying to do and get back to hardnosed practices. Football is not supposed to be fun, at all.....except after a win.
Agree. I watched the Utah Utes demolish #3 Oregon the other night by playing hard nosed football. Some of the hardest hitting I’ve seen in years. Reminded me of what football is all about.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Agree. I watched the Utah Utes demolish #3 Oregon the other night by playing hard nosed football. Some of the hardest hitting I’ve seen in years. Reminded me of what football is all about.
yep--and we played TOUCH football (in a loose sense) in the Spring "game". That told me ALL I needed to know about this regime. I predicted 4 wins but I didn't expect a total collapse like this..

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
Here's what I would do if I were negotiating as GC. I will replace my OC and DC if the newbies I bring in are signed for 2 year contracts and I get at least 2 more years regardless to give them time to make a difference. Two years is an eternity these days in college football.
Three years of CGC has seemed like forever for sure

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Here's what I would do if I were negotiating as GC. I will replace my OC and DC if the newbies I bring in are signed for 2 year contracts and I get at least 2 more years regardless to give them time to make a difference. Two years is an eternity these days in college football.
Lol no thanks. Get this clown out of here at the end of the season or keep him next year with what he's got and get rid of him if there's no significant improvement (8 win minimum). You will not get new coordinators of any value who want to come into this absolute dumpster fire. You will only be prolonging a crappy situation.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Lol no thanks. Get this clown out of here at the end of the season or keep him next year with what he's got and get rid of him if there's no significant improvement (8 win minimum). You will not get new coordinators of any value who want to come into this absolute dumpster fire. You will only be prolonging a crappy situation.
That’s what we should do, but GT rarely does what should be done. We all have experienced that.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
That’s what we should do, but GT rarely does what should be done. We all have experienced that.

This touched a nerve with me because, unlike some of you who think changing the coordinators or coaches will help, I think we are just systemically bad above the level of the HC. Even above the level of AD's. We have picked a series of marginal AD's ever since Rice left (why aren't these peple ever called out for incompetence?) and what we are seeing is the end result of 2-3 decades of neglect and mismanagement. I think I have moved past the point of thinking new coaches are a panacea. Which, quite frankly, is concerning to me. Even though I am not happy with the current situation, I think a new guy and waiting to let him gets "his guys" for 'his system" leads us back to where we were for the last 20-25 years...competitive in the ACC Coastal division. And everything, both positive AND negative, that that implies.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
This touched a nerve with me because, unlike some of you who think changing the coordinators or coaches will help, I think we are just systemically bad above the level of the HC. Even above the level of AD's. We have picked a series of marginal AD's ever since Rice left (why aren't these peple ever called out for incompetence?) and what we are seeing is the end result of 2-3 decades of neglect and mismanagement. I think I have moved past the point of thinking new coaches are a panacea. Which, quite frankly, is concerning to me. Even though I am not happy with the current situation, I think a new guy and waiting to let him gets "his guys" for 'his system" leads us back to where we were for the last 20-25 years...competitive in the ACC Coastal division. And everything, both positive AND negative, that that implies.
Drad wasnt bad but he also was constantly hamstrung himself

LibertyTurns

Banned
Drad wasnt bad but he also was constantly hamstrung himself
Drad thought GT fans would open their wallets. They did and he did not like what was inside. A bunch of half off lunch coupons, free car wash with every oil change and a reminder of an upcoming dental appointment. He didn’t realize what he was dealing with. Instead of writing checks for his higher priced premium seats, or having their corporate accounts pay for blocks of expensive tickets, they balked at reseating & migrated to the end zones where there were no or small PSLs and GT ended up with less instead of more plus a pissed off/more detached fanbase.

slugboy

Staff member
Drad thought GT fans would open their wallets. They did and he did not like what was inside. A bunch of half off lunch coupons, free car wash with every oil change and a reminder of an upcoming dental appointment. He didn’t realize what he was dealing with. Instead of writing checks for his higher priced premium seats, or having their corporate accounts pay for blocks of expensive tickets, they balked at reseating & migrated to the end zones where there were no or small PSLs and GT ended up with less instead of more plus a pissed off/more detached fanbase.

I think he was using this plan.
GIF by Giffffr

It was a bad reading of the room. Season ticket sales were kind of healthy, but they weren’t anywhere close to Auburn-level-healthy.

If you look at the Falcons and Atlanta United, the Falcons have PSLs, and that’s hurt the gameday environment, broken up a lot of groups that used to sit together, and there’s not much excitement for Falcons games.
Soccer doesn’t draw close to the ratings or attendance of football, but they have fan sections with “open” seating and they do much better for getting butts in seats around here. DRad misread the trend.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
"Even above the level of AD's." THIS.....It's hard to fathom how an Institute that is world recognized for it's graduates' ability to analyze how things work, that this goes unnoticed, for the most part. THWG & God bless Jan Kemp

Last edited:

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
That would be interesting...open seating in individual sections. That would get butts in seats early. You'd also get more people standing since the wackos that want to stand the whole game would be in front.

FWIW: I don't mind standing for specific parts of the game, but I have no desire to pay to go to the game and stand for 3 hours. My back, hips, and knees can't handle that. I yell just as loud sitting as I do standing.

Gomez Adams

Jolly Good Fellow
FWIW: I don't mind standing for specific parts of the game, but I have no desire to pay to go to the game and stand for 3 hours. My back, hips, and knees can't handle that. I yell just as loud sitting as I do standing.
After one major neck surgery, three knee surgeries, back surgery and three cancer surgeries, I fully understand and completely agree.

LibertyTurns

Banned
"Even above the level of AD's." THIS.....It's hard to fathom how an Institute that is world recognized for it's graduates' ability to analyze how things work, that this goes unnoticed, for the most part. THWG & God bless Jan Kemp
Engineers are generally bad Managers. Elite technically, but we’d be much better off handing the keys to the kingdom to some Barn or Bammer grad, etc with a degree we’d heckle for its lack of academic bonafides. There are always exceptions, but we fit the mold and excel at running businesses poorly like most engineers do.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Engineers are generally bad Managers. Elite technically, but we’d be much better off handing the keys to the kingdom to some Barn or Bammer grad, etc with a degree we’d heckle for its lack of academic bonafides. There are always exceptions, but we fit the mold and excel at running businesses poorly like most engineers do.
"how things work". Btw, Harvard's Business School has a very high acceptance rate for GT grads...I know.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, when I made that comment about “We have all experienced that”, meaning the GT shaft, it’s all encompassing. From athletics (purpose of this forum) to everything else. I have a child currently a GT student. It’s funny to read the parent group Facebook pages, etc. My wife and I both GT alum have been dealing with GT’s lack of business acumen since 1988 so nothing surprises us. But it’s hilarious watching new parents and students asking the same valid questions that are still issues decades later. The entire school is just run poorly. I could give example after example from just my child. Just one, we signed up for a student parking pass for Peters immediately after acceptance. We had the receipt and confirmation email. We show up on moving day and the pass encoded on the student ID card was for another lot. We all just laughed and told our kid, good luck resolving that. My wife was already stressed cause it was moving day, but even she knew to just relax and expect stupidity from GT. My child resolved it that same day with the explanation that “we don’t know what happened”. And the key to his dorm room didn’t work either so he had to track down the maintenance guy and get a spare. All that was day 1. We won’t even discuss the screwups on meal plans, class scheduling, and the craziness of chow halls closing at random times with no forewarning. Regarding the athletics, it all starts with the attitude of the school. And we all know the attitude to athletics is indifference. No way we can compete with bigger schools with more alumni and more money who also all pull in the same direction.