Ever Changing Perspective, Week by week

Home Park Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
@psjacket, are we really better than VT? Yes, we swept them at home the first ACC series of the year, but it wasn't easy. If I recall we got some breaks.

At this point, we might as well just throw ping pong balls for each of the ACC teams into a lottery style setup and see which balls come out on top!
From what I see going on, nothing is transitive. I should have added (sarcasm) to my post. That's why I said hard to say who is better than who. We just need to keep winning series.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Week 7 perspective

Perspective: The next two ACC series can make or break our ACC season. Really "need" to go 4-2 to position ourselves to finish strong. We are 4-6 in our last 10.

Expectations: Opportunity awaits. F$U and UNC are in the bottom 4 in the conf in BA and OBP. F$U near the top in strikeouts. The 4 ACC teams we have played occupy 4 of the top 6 positions in BA in teh conference. I'm looking for hope that our pitching can find some consistancy. Truthfully though, I am tempering any expectations.
Week 9 perspective

Perspective: we did what we were supposed to do the last two weekends, so give ‘em some credit. Still, we won’t go far in any postseason given our current play.

Expectations: Another series win next weekend. Finish above middle of the pack in ACC. Make the field of 64. Lose in a regional.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Season 2 Whatever GIF by Paramount+

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
One thing I like to keep coming back to.... is how "scary" we must look to other teams. Our lineup has been a headache to some of the best pitchers in the country. Just look at the these FRIDAY games where the opponent is throwing their ACE.

UNC - 1.2IP / 5R / 49 pitches / win
FSU - 2.2IP / 6R / 75 pitches / win
UVA - 4.0IP / 6R / 94 pitches / win
NCST - 4.0IP / 6R / 80 pitches / loss
WF - 5.0IP / 3R / 103 pitches / loss
VT - 5.1IP / 2R / 72 pitches / win
UGA - 6.0IP / 6R / 96 pitches / win

The pitch counts are probably the most impressive thing in that data.

IF (HUGE if)... we can see any improvement at all with pitching and defense, the ceiling is pretty high with this team still. Last weekend showed without much help keeping the other team from scoring, the offense can still just outscore opponents.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Week 9 perspective

Perspective: we did what we were supposed to do the last two weekends, so give ‘em some credit. Still, we won’t go far in any postseason given our current play.

Expectations: Another series win next weekend. Finish above middle of the pack in ACC. Make the field of 64. Lose in a regional.
Captains log, stardate …… unknown

Perspective: we have fallen into the abyss. I had hoped the pitching would improve, but it seems to just get worse, or at least less consistent. It’s just really disappointing to see us have this type of offense and “waste” it.

Expectations: More of the same. There is unfortunately very little evidence that anything will change at this point.

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
At this point in the season you're getting very close to what the numbers say you are.
Agreed - now ranked 225th in the nation for team ERA - which has actually been trending downward as the season has progressed. Assuming recent pitching trends hold, we need to score double digits to have a legitimate chance to win. Obviously we all can hope this trend radically changes to the positive but other than wishful thinking, the facts suggest otherwise...

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I have now concluded that we will get to a Regional, NOT as host but as a #2, and go out with either a 2-2 or 1-2 record. Our pitching is simply not deep enough to get us any further. The 2-2 is if we caveman our win to one of those wins.

The Fire Danny Hall chants will grow ever stronger with this type of ending.

Let's all hope I am all wet and completely wrong.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Danny Hall has never thrown a single pitch. He has coached honorably and masterfully for 20+ years. We now have in place a support staff others envy. We have us who care, and fans. Let's give up the nonsense and promote our team.
Bottom line, it seems to me, is CDH will remain GT baseball coach for as long as he wants, within reason. That said, we lose a ton of talent this year & with his youngest son likely moving on, seems like a reasonable time for him to hang it up after this year. I am very encouraged at the state of the program. If we can hang onto Ramsey & Dbo turns out to be what we think he is, the trajectory is in the right direction. Who knows what will happen though so might as well just hang on for the ride, enjoy the highs and endure the rest.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Bottom line, it seems to me, is CDH will remain GT baseball coach for as long as he wants, within reason. That said, we lose a ton of talent this year & with his youngest son likely moving on, seems like a reasonable time for him to hang it up after this year. I am very encouraged at the state of the program. If we can hang onto Ramsey & Dbo turns out to be what we think he is, the trajectory is in the right direction. Who knows what will happen though so might as well just hang on for the ride, enjoy the highs and endure the rest.

Can't control it, so might as well enjoy it.

I try to live that way but often fail.

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow

Projected as the 2 seed in Knoxville of course. Please no.

If we had to be 2, wouldn't mind having that spot from Florida St in the Auburn Regional. Get some revenge for 2019. Assuming we get to be home team on the Saturday night game of course.