Ever Changing Perspective, Week by week

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Doing a little self examination as I think about past seasons and how my emoitions and perspecitves change as the season progresses (and what I hope I have learned from it).

I thought it might be fun to start a thread that gets updated every Friday on how our prespecitve and excpectations change as the season progresses.
To keep it simple, I suggest a simple format. Say one sentance (or even less than one sentance) that sums up your perspecitve and expectation based on how you are feeling after the last week and/or Season to date

Here is my start

Perspecitve: We are what we thougth we were ...... but hopeful for growth as the season progresses.
Expectation: Top 2 Costal, Top 4 ACC, Participate in a regional

Whose Next?

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Is this a continual thread, or a week by week one? If the former, which would be my vote, I'd rename it at this point. I'll let the OP or the MODS select a name.

But I'll go early this week, since I don't know what my Thursday and Friday look like and my perspective and expectation won't change between now and then.

Perspective: Based on the records I found, 8-1 is the best start to a season for GT since 2017.

Expectation: There's a looooooooong way to go. From my research, the last time we started 8-1 in 2017, we finished our first conference series at 10-4, and the season at 27-28. Our best finish was in 2019, where we were 6-3 in the first 9 games, 10-6 after our first ACC series, and finsihed 43-19. I did not look back farther than that, as I was shooting for recent perspective and expectation.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Doing a little self examination as I think about past seasons and how my emoitions and perspecitves change as the season progresses (and what I hope I have learned from it).

I thought it might be fun to start a thread that gets updated every Friday on how our prespecitve and excpectations change as the season progresses.
To keep it simple, I suggest a simple format. Say one sentance (or even less than one sentance) that sums up your perspecitve and expectation based on how you are feeling after the last week and/or Season to date

Here is my start

Perspecitve: We are what we thougth we were ...... but hopeful for growth as the season progresses.
Expectation: Top 2 Costal, Top 4 ACC, Participate in a regional

Whose Next?
Ok, here is my week two perspective

Perspective: Cautiously Optomistic, Awaiting this weekend results against Dwags. Saw incremental (or more) progress in pitching & fielding)
Expectation: Top 2 Costal, Top 4 ACC, Make it to at least the final day of the regional (obviously hoping for more)

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Ok, here is my week two perspective

Perspective: Cautiously Optomistic, Awaiting this weekend results against Dwags. Saw incremental (or more) progress in pitching & fielding)
Expectation: Top 2 Costal, Top 4 ACC, Make it to at least the final day of the regional (obviously hoping for more)
Week 3 perspective

Perspective: Reserved optimism. 1 squeaker, 1 no doubter & 1 stinker against UGA, followed by a mid week loss. Looking for clarity from the upcoming series against what appears to be a good VaTech team.

Expectation: be competitive in a regional.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Exceeding my expectations. Optimism is very high. Wondering if we will come back to earth or be one of Tech’s best teams since we had two Boston Red Sox players on the team.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Week 3 perspective

Perspective: Reserved optimism. 1 squeaker, 1 no doubter & 1 stinker against UGA, followed by a mid week loss. Looking for clarity from the upcoming series against what appears to be a good VaTech team.

Expectation: be competitive in a regional.
Week 4 perspective

Perspective: Its been well established we can rake, as expected. Still don’t trust our pitching overall. Hope we grow into it.

Expectation: Be playing on Sunday in a regional. Top 5 in ACC

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
My perspective is

Positive:
  • We have exceeded high expectations on offense.
  • Pitching depth has had some pleasant surprises. The VT extra inning game was a great example of us throwing multiple pitchers out at the end of a double header and they held down VT mostly.
  • We have won most of our close games decided in last 2 innings. Hell, we have won most of our games period.
Neutral:
  • Pitching ERA at 4.87 has been about what I guess it was at this time last year (5.71 against better competition later in season).
  • Our .975 fielding % is better than last year's .965. But defense committing too many errors, both scored and shouldda plays that aren't scored errors.
Negative:
  • Having hard time throwing out runners stealing second.
  • Haven't locked down more than one starting pitching spot.
Expectation since we are ranked so high and I have been around too long; please prove me wrong!
Charlie Brown & Football.png

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
My perspective is that we've taken care of business so far. Georgia Tech is #1 in Warren Nolan's RPI rankings! I know it's early and means nothing in the long run, but I don't think I've ever seen that before in the 25 to 30 years I've been a GT baseball fan!!!!!!

My expectation is the same as it is every week. Focus on the team you are playing this weekend and win the series. That is all I expect from from our Jackets.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@GTNavyNuke The ONLY knock on Parada is he has a tough time throwing out runners. Not all of it's on his arm, some of it is the pitchers taking too long to get the ball to the plate. Man he's developing into a really high draft pick.

I intentionally didn't put it on Parada alone by not naming just him. You are right of course, the pitcher has to credibly hold the runner close to first and get the ball to the plate quickly.

But we are like 6 for 19 in throwing out runners after the VT series as I remember.

Another weakness is base running errors, but I have no stats on that subjective area.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
I intentionally didn't put it on Parada alone by not naming just him. You are right of course, the pitcher has to credibly hold the runner close to first and get the ball to the plate quickly.

But we are like 6 for 19 in throwing out runners after the VT series as I remember.

Another weakness is base running errors, but I have no stats on that subjective area.
Actually, isn’t 6 out of 19 about average? I read where the average caught stealing rate in MLB is about 30%. I didn’t realize we were that good (I.e., 6/19)

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Actually, isn’t 6 out of 19 about average? I read where the average caught stealing rate in MLB is about 30%. I didn’t realize we were that good (I.e., 6/19)

Thanks, learned something. Probably in college too, here are the NCAA stats. https://www.ncaa.com/stats/baseball/d1/current/team/493/p6

Makes me feel better. Now I'll have to pay better attention ;)

I remembered Bart being better. In 2017, Bart was 10 caught out of 26 or 38% caught. McCann closer to 47% caught.nd he was good.
1647602034532.png