Evaluate our opponents' recent coaching hires

Which of our opponents helped themselves the most with their coaching hire

• Total voters

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
Rich made some good assistant coach hires as well. Not sure about the assistants brought in at the other programs on the list, but obviously that is part of the equation.
Mendenhall brought almost his entire staff with him. We'll see if the 'complete transplant' works.

I voted for Fuentes simply because he had the good sense to keep Foster. He's not stupid and smart men often do well.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
this is a key time at Miami. If richt can't do it, maybe nobody can. He is easily the best hire, nationally.
Of course, we are all just guessing but what makes the Richt hire look so promising is that it potentially unites the two largest recruiting hot beds in the eastern half of the country under one staff. Richt clearly has major connections in Georgia and he is going to a school that sits in the Miami, Dade country area, arguably the most player rich area east of the Mississippi and one of the three best recruiting areas in the country. I may be missing something but if Richt is the great recruiter that everyone has given him credit for over the years then he is setting up shop where he will have more assets than he has ever had before.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Mendenhall brought almost his entire staff with him. We'll see if the 'complete transplant' works.

I voted for Fuentes simply because he had the good sense to keep Foster. He's not stupid and smart men often do well.
I think Mendenhall can coach some. But I do want to see how he does with 20-year-olds.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree. Richt can coach and recruit and his Georgia record proves it. Miami is now in play and the ACC can suddenly, literally overnight, become a power conference with the new coaching hires. I think the one school with championship potential, NC State, struck out on its coaching hire two years ago. But then AD Yow always strikes out.
Ignoring Florida State, I assume?

And I'll take Clemson to win one before NCSU at any reasonable odds you can lay.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Clemson is rolling. Duke and unc have been doing well against us recently. No change. Uga will be about the same as well die to recruiting advantage. We have not faced good qb - young secondary is a big question mark. Mia will be much better die to recruiting and a coherent coach who hires assistants.
We need A game on both sides of ball and scheme to be on positive side of ledger.

Vt and pitt will be about same but with more energy.

Coming off disastrous acc plus uga year hope the FIX IT is a long term plan.

FIX 1 = new young qb ast coaches and seasoned ol/ dc coach. This will help qb position and seasoned guy can help PJ during game adjustments.
FIX2 = imo coming off 15 the recruiting season this year was great because we got playing time ready recruits in key positions and ee are getting buzz for being in hunt for top talent till end.
FIX3= new ATTITUDE on offseason conditioning with set bmi requirements.

Coach Fix it is driving the bus!
Expecting some major volatility due to new secondary but also expecting big time wins.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think Bronco is a better coach than Richt.

I'm looking forward to seeing how recruiting plays out over the next few years. I expect that d'oh U won't improve dramatically and that georgie won't fall off much if at all.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Ignoring Florida State, I assume?

And I'll take Clemson to win one before NCSU at any reasonable odds you can lay.
I was unclear. I would not ignore Free Shoes because if as player is on the market, then FSU has cash. And Clemson is in my mind already a national powerhouse and is going to be in the NC hunt almost every year. (Including '16, when again everybody is talking about their personnel losses. My intent was a) coaching changes and b) ACC contention. And as my wife is BGSU it hurts to disparage NC State's coaching, but AD Yow did everything but bankrupt Maryland and as much as any one individual drove them out of the ACC.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I think Bronco is a better coach than Richt.

I'm looking forward to seeing how recruiting plays out over the next few years. I expect that d'oh U won't improve dramatically and that georgie won't fall off much if at all.
Richt can get 9-10 wins every year and Miami is a great recruiting tool. I think they will improve dramatically. Georgia? Their fans might get a taste of being careful what they asked for. Richt is a bit too much the team chaplain for my taste, but at his Saturday church he is a relentless competitor. Miami will benefit. Unfortunately.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think miami does improve. The last couple of coaches this is a 7 win program. Richt can get that to 9 at least imo. It will take a few years though.

This will depend alot on gt and fuentes at vt though.

Uga will still be a 9 and 10 win program. Hard to call if they go elite.....

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Sadly this year many will settle for winning 2 against fcs teams and going 3 of 10 on the balance.
Now, you know -- and I do not man to be abrupt -- but exactly what is it that enables you to know what "many" fans will "settle" for? Even the word is pejorative. I am kind of intuitive but doggoned if I can sense any of that. Even I can intuit enough to see you are referring to 2015 even though I ain't worth a flip at numbers. I don't recall anybody on the board "settling" for 3-9. (Which, as even you must admit, we might as well because we can't change it, can we?) I do recall an enormous amount of over-analysis, meaning some of the "analysis" was typical message board goofiness, with more anal than analysis. We wanted coaches fired, offenses changed, defenses changed, schedules changed, more freshmen playing, fewer freshmen playing, position changes, the AD fired, apparently for not doing the other firings we wanted, admission requirements changed, curriculum changed, the legislature to butt out, the legislature to butt in, different uniforms, better punting, better ST play, more field goals, fewer 4th down attempts ... I read the board every day to get a brief glimpse of football knowledge from a handful of posters and comic relief from the rest of us. It is just plain fun. All of which is to say don't see anybody "settling" for anything. Those who are "settling" aren't on the board. I didn't mean to rant, but we get enough of "what the people think" from columnists, commentators, politicians and bloggers, almost none of whom actually know a "people".

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Now, you know -- and I do not man to be abrupt -- but exactly what is it that enables you to know what "many" fans will "settle" for? Even the word is pejorative. I am kind of intuitive but doggoned if I can sense any of that. Even I can intuit enough to see you are referring to 2015 even though I ain't worth a flip at numbers. I don't recall anybody on the board "settling" for 3-9. (Which, as even you must admit, we might as well because we can't change it, can we?) I do recall an enormous amount of over-analysis, meaning some of the "analysis" was typical message board goofiness, with more anal than analysis. We wanted coaches fired, offenses changed, defenses changed, schedules changed, more freshmen playing, fewer freshmen playing, position changes, the AD fired, apparently for not doing the other firings we wanted, admission requirements changed, curriculum changed, the legislature to butt out, the legislature to butt in, different uniforms, better punting, better ST play, more field goals, fewer 4th down attempts ... I read the board every day to get a brief glimpse of football knowledge from a handful of posters and comic relief from the rest of us. It is just plain fun. All of which is to say don't see anybody "settling" for anything. Those who are "settling" aren't on the board. I didn't mean to rant, but we get enough of "what the people think" from columnists, commentators, politicians and bloggers, almost none of whom actually know a "people".
I am inclined to like this comment. I hesitate only because I am still not sure what the original post was referring to. It did not make sense to me and I still have no idea what he was saying. Perhaps someone will clarify and we will discover it did not mean at all what it first appeared to mean.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Now, you know -- and I do not man to be abrupt -- but exactly what is it that enables you to know what "many" fans will "settle" for? Even the word is pejorative. I am kind of intuitive but doggoned if I can sense any of that. Even I can intuit enough to see you are referring to 2015 even though I ain't worth a flip at numbers. I don't recall anybody on the board "settling" for 3-9. (Which, as even you must admit, we might as well because we can't change it, can we?) I do recall an enormous amount of over-analysis, meaning some of the "analysis" was typical message board goofiness, with more anal than analysis. We wanted coaches fired, offenses changed, defenses changed, schedules changed, more freshmen playing, fewer freshmen playing, position changes, the AD fired, apparently for not doing the other firings we wanted, admission requirements changed, curriculum changed, the legislature to butt out, the legislature to butt in, different uniforms, better punting, better ST play, more field goals, fewer 4th down attempts ... I read the board every day to get a brief glimpse of football knowledge from a handful of posters and comic relief from the rest of us. It is just plain fun. All of which is to say don't see anybody "settling" for anything. Those who are "settling" aren't on the board. I didn't mean to rant, but we get enough of "what the people think" from columnists, commentators, politicians and bloggers, almost none of whom actually know a "people".[/QUOTE

Lots of typing about the word "many" .
Sorry that I just popped off and got you in a twist.

I really am supportive now and in past of gt football - my references were I provided specific direct support --coach Moore, admin pete hurt, ol and recruiter Todd Spencer. I have joined local football high school booster clubs and attend games.
Hiesman giver etc.

That does not give me any right to use the word "many" are will to settle on this forum with taking the time to add lots of qualifying words.

To the list of "goofy" posts, I think you forgot to add my constant posting that recommends " recruiting - Houston and Dallas ". (My son coaches football east of Dallas and many of his coaching friends are ready to help gt recruit. )

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
I disagree. I don't think winning 9-10 games a year at UGA is all that difficult. Look at this years 10 win team as an example. They didn't beat anyone. They literally out talented everyone they played even without a semi competent QB. I always felt that Richt was skating by on superior talent. You could argue that he brought that talent in but I think UGA would get that level of talent no matter who the coach is. When it came to on the field results he did a good job of beating most of the teams he should beat and very few of the ones that were an even matchup or UGA was an underdog. He also had way too many games where UGA inexplicably lost.

Nine wins at UGA is a reasonable goal in most seasons, regardless of the coach. What a lot of UGA people who wanted to see Coach Richt go probably didn't realize was that the "losing" ways started when McGarity came on board as their AD. Not just football, but many other sports from baseball to women's volleyball suffered. Prior to Vince Dooley leaving as AD, Coach Richt was winning against the quality opponents; after McGarity comes in, he's looking a lot more like Chan Gailey in terms of not getting the signature wins. I've heard from several sources that McGarity contributed to a negative environment within the athletic department that was felt in all quarters. UM will benefit from the hire of Coach Richt. UGA may not do so well long-term with Kirby Smart.

Milwaukee

Banned
We run a spread.

I'm gonna say bronco. I think UVA is a good fit for him. Richt may be more proven at this level and certainly brings some excitement to that program, but Al Golden was a good coach imo and that program is becoming a place where coaching careers go to die.

Al had to steer them through the probation years. If you look at Miami's current roster, they're finally loaded again. Richt will have a lot of success there.

Golden got them through an extremely rough time, and they tried to make him out to be the fall guy (or a bad coach). He's a great coach, in my opinion.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Illinois hire Lovie Smith. Like the move a lot. Although, if he's successful and the Big 10 encroaches on the SEC's (read: Saban's) reign, I slightly worry about a "lovie-ble" coach at a good engineering school plundering the riches of ATL. thank good U of I is located at the intersection of corn fields and soy bean fields.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...is-fighting-illini-hire-lovie-smith-new-coach
Not sure but then with some exceptions generally pros who go college don't do that well. The killer seems to be recruiting, something they never had to bother with in play-for-pay. But whatever, everybody up there better do something in a hurry or OSU and Michigan will own the whole of the midwest.